(Topic ID: 142125)

how to remove yellowing from plastics???

By Blake

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Blake
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

a while back somebody posted a great way to clean and remove the yellow discoloration from plastics. does anyone remember the method or have the post? i thought it was peroxide or rubbing alcohol.
    thanks
    blake

#2 8 years ago

most yellowing is due to UV radiation over time (and not cigarette tar or other grime as sometimes believed). It is a photochemical change that has altered the molecular structure of the plastic all the way through. You can't just clean it off, nor is there a way to reverse the process.

#3 8 years ago

Place your piece in a Clear container and fill with Peroxide to cover item then cover seal with seran wrap and leave in the Sunlight or a UV lamp for a few days and thats it.

That is what was posted in the thread about it. I copied and pasted it into my notes on my phone. I tried it on some clear bride of pinbot plastics and it did not work. Maybe it will work better for you

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Place your piece in a Clear container and fill with Peroxide to cover item then cover seal with seran wrap and leave in the Sunlight or a UV lamp for a few days and thats it.
    That is what was posted in the thread about it. I copied and pasted it into my notes on my phone. I tried it on some clear Bride of Pinbot plastics and it did not work. Maybe it will work better for you

ok thanks a lot
    blake

#5 8 years ago

Yea there was a thread about this issue . I think the guy said he went to a beauty supply store to get the peroxide because it's stronger . I haven't tried it yet but I am curious .

#6 8 years ago

I read somewhere that the Commodore Amiga guys are finding this is not a permanent solution.. just a FYI, i thnk they are re-yellowing even without UV exposure..

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

most yellowing is due to UV radiation over time (and not cigarette tar or other grime as sometimes believed). It is a photochemical change that has altered the molecular structure of the plastic all the way through. You can't just clean it off, nor is there a way to reverse the process.

That's what I've always been told. And I've tried everything there is to get rid of it on some old plastic, and nothing works.

#8 8 years ago

It's called Retro-Brite.

Tried with my Diner coffee cup and it did not work for this type of plastic.

#9 8 years ago

I Use the Salon grade Peroxide as it is the strongest formula that you can get along with a UV lamp. Works fine for me. I also use it for aged decals.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blake:

a while back somebody posted a great way to clean and remove the yellow discoloration from plastics. does anyone remember the method or have the post? i thought it was peroxide or rubbing alcohol.
    thanks
    blake

Biggity Bam!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/say-goodbye-to-old-yellowed-plastics

#11 8 years ago

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-remove-yellowing-from-plastics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.