Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Coindork
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200228_161218 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

how is the best way to remove copper oxide from the leaf switch ?What products you use without damaging the switch ,

IMG_20200228_161218 (resized).jpgIMG_20200228_161218 (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

I have used vinegar to brighten copper before. Never on a switch before. Don't know why it wouldn't work though.

#3 4 years ago

If you want the switches to look nice, get some MS-70 Industrial Strength Coin Brightener from your local coin shop. I have recently started using it to clean and brighten leaf switches of all varieties on pinball machines. Just dunk a cotton swab in this liquid and wipe it on the switch contacts first (to clean the silver or gold flashed contacts) then do the blades. I love this stuff.

If you have a switch with dried/gunked up Wildcat 125 playfield cleaner on the switch, first go over the switch with either isopropyl alcohol or lighter fluid then use the MS-70 on the switch.

https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Strength-Brightener-Contains-Acids/dp/B01G642ISA

I work in a coin shop and we are now using MS-70 on pinball switches on machines that come in for service. Really works well on nickle plated switch blades as well as copper blades.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

If you want the switches to look nice, get some MS-70 Industrial Strength Coin Brightener from your local coin shop. I have recently started using it to clean and brighten leaf switches of all varieties on pinball machines. Just dunk a cotton swab in this liquid and wipe it on the switch contacts first (to clean the silver or gold flashed contacts) then do the blades. I love this stuff.
    If you have a switch with dried/gunked up Wildcat 125 playfield cleaner on the switch, first go over the switch with either isopropyl alcohol or lighter fluid then use the MS-70 on the switch.
    amazon.com link »
    I work in a coin shop and we are now using MS-70 on pinball switches on machines that come in for service. Really works well on nickle plated switch blades as well as copper blades.

I’ll preface this with the fact that I’ve been in the coin industry my entire life and own a coin business.
    MS70 is really useful as a cleaner for removing gunk and debris from copper.

If you want to take Kens suggestion a step further try this.
    Mix about 50% MS70 with 50% ammonia.
    Do this outside or in a well ventilated area as ammonia vapor is pretty potent and not good for you.
    If you have heavy mineral deposits on copper like verdigris (thick hard green mineral) it will dissolve it with soaking for a short period of time without damaging the copper.

Lastly, whenever you do this sort of cleaning/conservation on a metal object be sure to rinse it really well when you are done. You need to neutralize any active cleaning agents, especially on corrosive metals. If not they can just further corrosion over time.

#5 4 years ago

BTW, if it’s just the contact points your talking about cleaning than something like a small file or even running a business card or piece of card stock through them will clean the contacts.

#6 4 years ago

Thanks for all these info .
    I had read that the vinegar and salt solution works wonders on copper, but I fear for the contacts that then don't work.
    As I read, m70 is the ideal product for leaf switch, but I did not understand if I then have to go over with a blade to clean the contacts again.

#7 4 years ago

Is there some video about this topic?

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from daw6205:

Thanks for all these info .
    I had read that the vinegar and salt solution works wonders on copper, but I fear for the contacts that then don't work.
    As I read, m70 is the ideal product for leaf switch, but I did not understand if I then have to go over with a blade to clean the contacts again.

The problem with using something like vinegar is you basically setting up a battery and creating electrolysis.
    The leafs are one metal, the contacts are another. Once you add vinegar your setting up an electrical current that corrodes the contacts away.
    Not to mention something more aggressive like this eats away at the surface metal on the copper.

#9 4 years ago

I imagined that this vinegar and salt solution, which is good for copper, is not suitable for the use of leaf switch cleaning. So I ask you, M70 used on the entire leaf switch, must the gold or silver switches then be cleaned again with something else?

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from daw6205:I imagined that this vinegar and salt solution, which is good for copper, is not suitable for the use of leaf switch cleaning. So I ask you, M70 used on the entire leaf switch, must the gold or silver switches then be cleaned again with something else?

Yes, MS70 is more of a highly concentrated detergent and not corrosive to metal.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

If you want the switches to look nice, get some MS-70 Industrial Strength Coin Brightener from your local coin shop....

Wow, just orderd some to have on hand thanks.
    I just assumed coin pros use taco bell hot sauce packets like the rest of us

Quoted from Coindork:

I’ll preface this with the fact that I’ve been in the coin industry my entire life and own a coin business.

Ahhh the name explained!

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Ahhh the name explained!

Yeah it’s kind of dual purpose.
    A play on “coin door” as well as the fact that I’m a coin nerd.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-remove-the-copper-oxide?hl=jeewiz13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.