(Topic ID: 110644)

How to remove super band mini post rubbers?

By Nokoro

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Atomicboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

One of my super band mini post rubbers is starting to crack. I tried to remove it as I have a few spare ones lying around for just this reason. However, I couldn't pry it up and off the post. The darn thing is so tight and strong! Any tricks for how to do this, or do I just need to clip them out with a knife or wire cutters or something?

#2 9 years ago

Bump.

I'm thinking I just cut it off.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I'm thinking I just cut it off.

Use a pair of pliers and a blow torch. Get medieval on em!
    faz

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_faz:

Use a pair of pliers and a blow torch. Get medieval on em!
    faz

Sure. I'll flame polish my ramps while I'm at it!

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Sure. I'll flame polish my ramps while I'm at it!

Pulp Fiction pinball repair school: Professor Marsellus Wallace

faz

#8 9 years ago

This is why I think superbands are not sized properly. They are typically manufactured to the same size as soft rubber, but they actually need to be made a bit larger to compensate for reduced flexibility, which is all too obvious from this thread and others about installing them on flippers. I'm hoping they realize this some day.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Cut me Mick, cut me.

Rocky school of pinball repair.... completely different

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

This is why I think superbands are not sized properly. They are typically manufactured to the same size as soft rubber, but they actually need to be made a bit larger to compensate for reduced flexibility, which is all too obvious from this thread and others about installing them on flippers. I'm hoping they realize this some day.

They are a huge pain in the neck to install, especially on the posts without the pointed tops.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

They are a huge pain in the neck to install, especially on the posts without the pointed tops.

And when they are cracking like here and other threads regarding the flippers, it makes you wonder why they are being used at all.

I thought they boasted they would last forever.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

And when they are cracking like here and other threads regarding the flippers, it makes you wonder why they are being used at all.
    I thought they boasted they would last forever.

I'm using them on my Star Trek Pro. They are a must. The factory mini post rings were shredded after about a hundred games or so. They take a huge amount of abuse in the game. The super band ones lasted a lot longer. Only one is cracking, and it gets pounded constantly.

#14 9 years ago

Just cut it off with wire cutters or a razor. Super-Bands flipper rings and posts are sized for optimum performance on the games. It's not as simple as "just make them bigger" as others suggest.

And no one boasted "they'd last forever". Where do you guys get this information?

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

They are a huge pain in the neck to install

So why do it?

#16 9 years ago

show the post photos of hillary clinton, when the post goes limp rubbers will slip right off, just ask bill.
    if this method doesnt work and your post stays hard for over 4 hours, it needs medical attention.
    sometimes you have to outsmart these things in order to avoid being branded as dumb as one,
    and speaking of dumb posts (I mean mine) this one qualifies, unless the method actually works.
    at least try photos of roseanne barr and rosie odonald before completely abandoning this method.

#17 9 years ago

Chainsaw

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So why do it?

If you look at my post above, there is really no choice with Star Trek. The standard rubbers shred almost immediately, and they are even more of a pain to swap out due to the inaccessible locations they are in. You don't want to be doing that every 100 games.

#19 9 years ago

I wonder how much different an Orbitor 1 would play, with Super Bands Flipper rings?

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

If you look at my post above, there is really no choice with Star Trek. The standard rubbers shred almost immediately, and they are even more of a pain to swap out due to the inaccessible locations they are in. You don't want to be doing that every 100 games.

This is an issue with the rubber that Stern gets, which I believe is PBL (not confirmed). I have pulled odd post rubbers that were likely original from 80s and 90s games, that while they were not very nice looking anymore, still were intact.

The only mini post rubbers I have ever had go bad in my years are the PBL ones, mostly for the mini posts and flipper rubber tips. Ones from PBR, the Wico, still look new, other than maybe needing a cleaning here and there.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-remove-super-band-mini-post-rubbers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.