(Topic ID: 226034)

How to remove strong yellowing from a cab?

By MeNaCeFiRe

7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Stoomer
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

canon020217 011 (resized).JPG
    canon041216 015 (resized).JPG
    b6bfc6e2131ba190_org (resized).jpg
    105D40CC-91A0-441D-9DEF-F883DB546385 (resized).jpeg
    E26F2259-122E-41AA-A3FA-F33D31338CBA (resized).jpeg
    E723404C-A416-4134-9B6A-A82B19668602 (resized).jpeg
    3BDD747D-022C-47AC-B71F-C1E0887EC14B (resized).jpeg

#1 7 months ago

Any tricks for this? I am going to be looking at the game this week but I have never seen so much yellowing before. Thanks

#3 7 months ago

Ammonia & water 50/50 mix , mentioned this many times it works better than any of this other crap.

#4 7 months ago

Industrial strength simple green. I scrubbed and scrubbed with the regular simple green and it got a corner. Last week on a whim I sprayed the industrial stuff on and it started dripping off. So I went to town on it and now it’s looking great. Good luck.

105D40CC-91A0-441D-9DEF-F883DB546385 (resized).jpeg3BDD747D-022C-47AC-B71F-C1E0887EC14B (resized).jpegE26F2259-122E-41AA-A3FA-F33D31338CBA (resized).jpegE723404C-A416-4134-9B6A-A82B19668602 (resized).jpeg
    #5 7 months ago
    Quoted from MeNaCeFiRe:

I have never seen so much yellowing before.

FYI, it's nicotine.

#6 7 months ago

How many packs of Camel's is that?

#7 7 months ago

Paint it black.

b6bfc6e2131ba190_org (resized).jpg
    #8 7 months ago

I've always used mean green. You can find it at the dollar store sometimes. I prop the game on saw horses on the side I'm working on (so it faces up, and the spray doesn't run down the side), and really wet down the cabinet with the stuff. I'll let it marinate for a minute, and using a green scotch brite pad, I'll GENTLY (with almost no pressure), massage the mean green in. Then with a terry cloth or huge wad of paper towels, I'll wipe it off. Clean up missed bits with additional spray.

You can get the cabinet almost 100% nicotine stain free that way, and it's gentle on the paint.

#9 7 months ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

How many packs of Camel's is that?

Just 2

#10 7 months ago

It may not always be nicotine stains... If it is, you're lucky. Often the lacquer coat on the outside of the cabinet especially for gottlieb will yellow with age. Yellowed lacquer is a different story completely...

#11 7 months ago

Krud Kutter...search it up on pinside. Works great on old EM era cabs for yellowing. I test a spot and if it goes well, you spray on, let it drip for a minute or so and wipe with rag. Repeat and it'll work like a charm. This was a dirtflipper tip originally.

amazon.com link »

#12 7 months ago

I have also found Krud Kutter a good product. It really 'runs the nicotine off'. It was particularly good on a GTB Volley I restored a while back which was really quite yellowed.

canon041216 015 (resized).JPG

canon020217 011 (resized).JPG

#13 7 months ago
    Quoted from wayner:

I have also found Krud Kutter a good product. It really 'runs the nicotine off'. It was particularly good on a GTB Volley I restored a while back which was really quite yellowed.

who sells krud kutter in australia

#14 7 months ago
    Quoted from Raff:

A simple Google search of " krud kutter Australia" finds many.

#15 7 months ago
    Quoted from Raff:

amazon must...they are taking over the planet.

#16 7 months ago

Warning! I used the above mentioned techniques on a Out Of Sight recently, if the outer ply is slightly lifted or their are cracks in the finish the side will plank. Stanley Blech-White worked well but any water-based cleaner will plank the ply as well (from experiments). Good news is it went down in a few days of drying.

#17 7 months ago
    Quoted from Raff:

Prior to closure Masters Hardware chain stocked Krud Kutter and various other US based products due to their tie up with Lowes of the US. It is still available from various sources-this is one on ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cleaner-Degreaser-Concentrated-Stain-Remover-Krud-Kutter-Grease-Tar-Oil-Wax/272035075898?epid=1845135446&hash=item3f568dd73a%3Am%3AmgkSQlOSafJd8kUqCGSpNZA&var=570848239679

#18 6 months ago

Found krud kutter at crowies paints
    For $13.95 .

#19 6 months ago

Isn't this actually tar (as opposed to nicotine)?

#20 6 months ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

Isn't this actually tar (as opposed to nicotine)?

That's what I've always thought. The tar content in each cigarette is far greater than the nicotine. I think the nicotine is largely absorbed into the bloodstream through the lungs (the addictive component in the smoke), but tar is constantly released as the tobacco burns, and settles onto surfaces as the smoke condenses.

#21 6 months ago
    Quoted from wayner:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]

I'm with Wayne on the Krud Kutter...I like it much better than Mean Green...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 209.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Funhouse Custom Lamp Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 120.00
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Iron Monger Decal Out of stock
    Flashinstinct
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    £ 37.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside