9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 months ago

Hello, any suggestions for removing rust off of ramp flaps? My LOTR ramp flaps are pretty bad. Thank you!!

#2 9 months ago

you need to remofe the flap and aply gunblu

#3 9 months ago

Buy new ramp flaps

#4 9 months ago

If it is pretty bad, just replace it. Even if you remove the rust, the flap will still be pitted.

#5 9 months ago

This stuff is amazing to remove rust.

Evapo-Rust The Original Super Safe Rust Remover, Water-Based, Non-Toxic, Biodegradable, 1 Gallon amazon.com link »

After you can polish with this stuff.

Flitz Polish - Paste - 5.29 oz. Boxed Tube amazon.com link »

#6 9 months ago

I have the same issue with my LAH. I tried to just find a new ramp/flap, but i haven't been able to. Surely someone has them!

#7 9 months ago

I've tried the cold bluing once and didn't like the results. Now I just make my own from a roll of blued spring steel I picked up years ago.

Drill the old rivets out. Trace the old flap out on the new steel. Punch in the new 1/8" holes for the rivets first. Cut out with scissors. Grind and smooth the edges with a small bench grinder. Re-rivet to the ramp with 1/8" tubular rivets and backing washer.

1 week later
    #8 9 months ago

I just use fine sandpaper - looks fine

#9 9 months ago

I use a buffing wheel, takes the blueing off and makes it shiny.. I prefer that anyway.

#10 9 months ago
    Quoted from knockerlover:

I use a buffing wheel, takes the blueing off and makes it shiny.. I prefer that anyway.

I do the same. I do nott like the blue ramps. Go to stainless spring steel if you want. I can make a ramp for anyone who sends me a template, out of Blue spring steel.

#11 9 months ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

I've tried the cold bluing once and didn't like the results. Now I just make my own from a roll of blued spring steel I picked up years ago.
    Drill the old rivets out. Trace the old flap out on the new steel. Punch in the new 1/8" holes for the rivets first. Cut out with scissors. Grind and smooth the edges with a small bench grinder. Re-rivet to the ramp with 1/8" tubular rivets and backing washer.

Where do you get the rivets and what do you use to put them in?

#12 9 months ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Where do you get the rivets and what do you use to put them in?

I buy mine from Pinrestore, but all the pinball suppliers sell the rivets. I also use the Pintonka rivet system. Nice tool.

#13 9 months ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Same method as it works out cheaper if you are doing a lot of this during resto work. An 18 foot roll of spring steel has lasted me for over a decade now.

I also use a pair of nail scissors with the curved end to shape the edges of the new flap after cutting it out roughly with snips.

#14 9 months ago

Funny, on my Getaway (my first pin), I thought the ramps were really dirty so I cleaned and polished them with some Mothers wheel polish until they were a shiny silver steel color (I didn't know they were supposed to be blue). Anyway, I've always kept them that way because I actually think it looks better.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Creo Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 126.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 30.00
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    Playfield - Plastics
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 400.00
    Playfields
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside