Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by supermatt
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I recently obtained a Gottlieb Royal Flush in very good condition, but the previous owners painted the cabinet white with latex paint. Doesn't look bad, but I want to make it original. I tried citrustrip and it works great but it also softens paint underneath and as I was scraping the latex off it was smearing the red and black paint underneath the latex. I've heard of soaking the latex in alcohol, but seems like that would be a huge pain. Is there any way I can apply, scrape and be left with what's underneath? Or is it best to just strip to wood and start over?

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from tcape61:

I recently obtained a Gottlieb Royal Flush in very good condition, but the previous owners painted the cabinet white with latex paint. Doesn't look bad, but I want to make it original. I tried citrustrip and it works great but it also softens paint underneath and as I was scraping the latex off it was smearing the red and black paint underneath the latex. I've heard of soaking the latex in alcohol, but seems like that would be a huge pain. Is there any way I can apply, scrape and be left with what's underneath? Or is it best to just strip to wood and start over?

Citristrip you can try painting it on extremely thin and try different lengths of time, 10-15 minutes or so. Using that method I was able to take off spray-paint and not damage the paint underneath but I accidentally left part on for 30 minutes and it went right down to bare wood. It’s really finicky

#3 3 years ago

Since someone bothered to paint over it, the original paint probably isn't worth saving.
I'm sure u can get stencils from pimp.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Since someone bothered to paint over it, the original paint probably isn't worth saving.

That's not always the case. I've seen plenty of restoration threads with people who removed paint and the original artwork underneath was fine.

Just like with antique furniture, some people simply get it into their heads that they need to paint over something to fit with their ideas on interior decorating.

#5 3 years ago

I’ve done the alcohol soaked rag method before on a Klondike and got great results. It was a lot of time consuming work but well worth it in the end. Other than a couple of small dings the artwork was in great shape. I have no idea why anyone would have painted over it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Las Vegas, NV
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-remove-latex-painted-cabinet-without-removing-paint-under-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.