(Topic ID: 158639)

How to remove flipper shaft w/ stripped pawl bolt?

By PoMC

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by PoMC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Upper flipper in my No Fear was out of position and when I went to adjust it, I noticed the bolt for the pawl clamping down on the shaft was stripped. Tried other sized allen wrenches, but can't get enough meat on it to remove the bolt.

What's the best way to proceed from here? I have a new flipper assembly, so not concerned about damaging anything to remove it.

Thanks.

#2 7 years ago

vice grips

#3 7 years ago

drill out the damaged Allen key set screw

#4 7 years ago

Dremel with one of those thin cutting discs in it . Slice through the pawl to the shaft . You'll then be able to slide it off . That or you may be able to cut through the shaft above the pawl .

Whatever way you do it just remember to put down a LOT of blankets , sheets etc. to catch any shavings or sparks etc .

#5 7 years ago

Yeah a dremel cutting disc would work because just no room for a drill and clamp. Will try vice grips tomorrow first, just didn't have them in this workshop because they're in the garage. Will report back and have pics in case they help someone else.

#6 7 years ago

Vice grips did the trick. Thanks.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-remove-flipper-shaft-w-stripped-pawl-bolt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.