(Topic ID: 337746)

How to remove flipper relay from driver board?

By jibmums

10 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by jibmums
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_4609 (resized).JPG
    100_4608 (resized).JPG
    100_4604 (resized).JPG
    100_4601 (resized).JPG
    100_4595 (resized).JPG
    100_4597 (resized).JPG
    100_4593 (resized).JPG
    #1 10 months ago

I recently bought a Williams Black Knight whose batteries leaked, and unfortunately the blue fuzz dropped onto the driver board underneath onto a few components, one of which was the flipper relay. Somehow the corrosion got inside and I can see it damaged the parts inside the plastic cover. The other affected transistors on the board were easily removed and replaced.

The rest of the board is good, I just need to remove the relay and solder in a good one, but I cannot seem to desolder this one completely enough to remove it. The lugs are almost as wide as the through holes and seem to allow just a little solder to remain between the two, even where it looks like it was all removed under a magnifiying glass. I'm using a Hakko desoldering gun with a 1.5 mm tip, what should I be doing differently to get this damn thing removed?

#2 10 months ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

what should I be doing differently to get this damn thing removed?

Try flowing on new solder first.

If that don't do it bigger tip. Careful so you don't hurt the board.

LTG : )

#3 10 months ago

Possibly at the factory the flat tab was slightly tweaked to keep it secure before it went down the line for soldering?

#4 10 months ago

This is a place where solder wick can help. Add solder and then remove it with flux and wick. This will help identify any twisted tabs and clear those holes enough to untwist them

#5 10 months ago

Tried everything I could think of last night. Added new solder and tried again. Tried solder wick and flux too. And all the lugs/tabs seem to be sticking straight through. I don't know what else to try; maybe leaving the tip in place a little longer to heat it up more, but I don't want to risk lifting the traces. Are these single-sided traces or through holes?

#6 10 months ago

Through. Since the relay is garbage it tear it apart. Pull off the cover and start cutting it apart. Try leaving yourself enough of each terminal so the when the plastic is gone you can heat the metal and pull the single lug out .

#7 10 months ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Through. Since the relay is garbage it tear it apart. Pull off the cover and start cutting it apart. Try leaving yourself enough of each terminal so the when the plastic is gone you can heat the metal and pull the single lug out .

Yeah, that's probably what I'll have to wind up doing. I was hoping this thing would come out easier, as I have another junk driver board and was hoping to desolder and reuse the relay from that, but the "scorched earth" method of removal kinda precludes that.

#8 10 months ago

Follow-up question: when I bought the game, the upper right flipper coil was already burned. Could the damaged flipper relay have been the cause?

#9 10 months ago

No, that’s probably an end of stroke switch problem.
    If the donor board is junk, you can easily remove the relay by clamping the board vertically to a solid support (must be done outdoors) then use a propane torch on the solder side of the board while pulling the relay. It will pop free in about 2 seconds. If it takes any longer you aren’t applying enough heat and the relay will be destroyed. The same process can be used to harvest the rest of the parts you want to salvage (use channel lock type pliers on the ends of the IC’s). With practice you can remove any of the parts without any risk of ruining them. You should use a respirator to avoid inhaling any harmful materials released from the burnt pc board resins

1 week later
    #10 10 months ago

No propane torch handy so I took @cheddar's advice and cut it off piece by piece with a dremel. I must have done a fairly decent job of desoldering in the first place, as 13 of the 14 lugs were able to be extricated by hand, though they were tight. That tightness and the one that I still had to desolder meant that cutting it off was a necessity.

Pics of the corrosion inside the relay below, and a few step-by-steps. New relay awaiting installation. Hope I never have to do this again.

100_4593 (resized).JPG100_4593 (resized).JPG100_4595 (resized).JPG100_4595 (resized).JPG100_4597 (resized).JPG100_4597 (resized).JPG100_4601 (resized).JPG100_4601 (resized).JPG100_4604 (resized).JPG100_4604 (resized).JPG100_4608 (resized).JPG100_4608 (resized).JPG100_4609 (resized).JPG100_4609 (resized).JPG

#11 10 months ago

To clarify, the propane torch suggestion was only to remove one from another board to use on the board being repaired. The process will instantly destroy the PC board, so must only be attempted on a board that was already on the way to the garbage or ewaste.

#12 10 months ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

No propane torch handy so I took Cheddar's advice and cut it off piece by piece with a dremel. I must have done a fairly decent job of desoldering in the first place, as 13 of the 14 lugs were able to be extricated by hand, though they were tight. That tightness and the one that I still had to desolder meant that cutting it off was a necessity.
    Pics of the corrosion inside the relay below, and a few step-by-steps. New relay awaiting installation. Hope I never have to do this again.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Good job!

#13 10 months ago

A temperature-adjustable hot air gun is somewhat easier on the board than a propane torch.

#14 10 months ago

Wow, I've never seen someone have to resort to this before. Interesting photos.

If you're not already aware, you can install a socket for the relay, just like an IC.

#15 10 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Wow, I've never seen someone have to resort to this before. Interesting photos.
    If you're not already aware, you can install a socket for the relay, just like an IC.

I have seen those sockets. I've never had or seen another bad relay, this one just happened to be located under a leaky battery. Probably/hopefully something I'll never have to do again, but I have spare relays now.

Quoted from Mthomasslo:

To clarify, the propane torch suggestion was only to remove one from another board to use on the board being repaired. The process will instantly destroy the PC board, so must only be attempted on a board that was already on the way to the garbage or ewaste.

I got that. I have another driver board that may or may not be working that I was going to harvest the relay from, but I figured, why destroy what may be a working board for one part if I can source a new one elsewhere?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-remove-flipper-relay-from-driver-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.