• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen_Shot_2015-09-22_at_4.29.34_pm.png
Unknown.png

#1 8 years ago

I had Cliffys installed on my AC/DC from the distributor, however, two Universal Switch Slot Protectors are in the wrong place. They're installed over the top rollover lane switches (A and X) instead of the bottom (I and R).

Can I remove these without damaging the playfield? (If so, how?) Or is it better to leave them there, and install a third Switch Slot Protector over "E" to even everything up? My concern is that the Cliffy's could damage the ball as it rolls over it at speed... could this be the case?

Also, the right Side Ball Eject Protector (picture attached, pointing towards the flat metal piece that goes under the right side black rail) isn't flush, so when lifting my game I have to be careful that it doesn't scrape the black paint from the inner right side of the wall. (I hope this makes sense.)

It's in rather tight, so I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice on how I can push in back in so there's no metal sticking out of the right hand side. Perhaps there's a screw I'm missing that loosens the gap between the side rail and playfield so I can adjust it properly.

Unknown.pngUnknown.png

#2 8 years ago

On my ACDC Pro I removed the level bubble (which is useless) and moved the ball guard (protects the ball hitting the side) forward where the ball hits more in the middle. The bottom metal piece appears to be sticking out too much. You should be able to slide it a little further under the wood rail.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks mate. That is not actually my game, just a photo to show what bit I'm talking about.

The problem is that it sticks too far under the wood rail, and sticks out the other side, potentially scrapping the black paint off the inside wall of the game as I lift the play field.

And without installing these myself, I have no idea how it even got in there!

#4 8 years ago

The wood rails should screw in from the bottom of the playfield.

#5 8 years ago

The right side strip should not work its way out from under the rail, especially with my newer creased design. However, when it does the best is to remove the bottom rail screws, realign the protector strip and use quick clamps or c-clamps to cinch the rail down BEFORE installing the screw(s)

Yes you can remove any of my 3M taped protectors by softening the adhesive with a citrus solvent like Goo Gone (not goof off) Sometime heat from a blow dryer will soften the adhesive as well.

Off topic but mentioned by others in the thread, that's not my protector on the rail behind the level. My newest design incorporates the bubble level.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6 8 years ago

Thanks Cliffy! So, I simply dab some Goo Gone under the protector, then pull with some pliers?

#7 8 years ago

Pliers, no. Use a dulled single edge razor blade and work it under the edge getting the goo gone under there as you go.

#8 8 years ago

Plastic razor blade works great with less chance of doing any damage.

#9 8 years ago

Agreed. Does Scot Bogart still sell those? I have like 3 left from a bunch I got years ago.

#11 8 years ago

Good call. Just bought some Goo Gone, and these:

Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 4.29.34 pm.pngScreen Shot 2015-09-22 at 4.29.34 pm.png

Guessing that's what you meant?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-remove-cliffy-protectors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.