You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0128.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hi,

Before I renovate the cabinet of a TOM and No Fear, I would like to know how the playfield can be removed.

On the No fear, there are 2 cylinder bars moving on tracks in the cabinet. A cylinder is attached to the payfield with a metallic plate. Do I need to remove the screws of both plates before I can get the playfield out ? I presume I need help for this ?

On the TOM, this is another system. Again, how do I remove the playfield and can I do it alone ?

Thanks for the support

IMG_0128.JPGIMG_0128.JPG
IMG_0129.JPGIMG_0129.JPG

#2 9 years ago

It's amazingly easy. No screws to remove, no nothing. If you're strong enough (or maybe tall enough) you can walk up to a game and lift the playfield out and set it on the floor without having disconnected or unscrewed anything.

You have to do it with the playfield down (not upright). The pointy arm with a spring you have pictured in the last picture is the main obstactle to overcome. If you pull the playfield out fully (as if you're going to raise it), the cylinder goes between the playfield and that arm, preventing you from lifting it out. To remove it, the playfield needs to be far back enough that the arm can clear that cylinder.

Pull the playfield out just enough that you can reach your hand behind the playfield and lift. It's heavy, but it's surprisingly really easy.

#3 9 years ago

Thanks for your detailed answer

I am not tall and not strong I will ask for help.

And for the No Fear, top picture ? The system is not the same

#4 9 years ago

Here's a good discussion of the topic

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-remove-entire-playfield

It also contains a nifty video on a unique way to do it

https://www.youtube.com/embed/-gR8V3rJo8A?autoplay=1&rel=0

#5 9 years ago

Legs off, cabinet on the floor. Don't try it with the legs on.

#6 9 years ago

Hm. Didn't realize no Fear was like that. I have no familiarity with that kind of setup.

#7 9 years ago

Way easier with 2 people I would imagine.. I've done several with the legs on and a low ceiling by myself. It is a pain.. those PF's are hefty and cumbersome with the system to get them out is very simple which is nice. I would make absolutely sure you've disconnected all the wiring though.. don't want to have it half way out and realize it's not going to make it to the floor because some wires are still attached. Actually more difficult to get the PF back IN (at least by yourself) I would say.

#8 9 years ago

Oops ! Before I try by myself ... Is it possible to replace decals without removing the pf ?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Oops ! Before I try by myself ... Is it possible to replace decals without removing the pf ?

Ehh... no. Those cylinders on which the playfield pivots need to be removed.

#10 9 years ago

Good ! for the No Fear, it then looks more simple, I only need someone to hold the pf while unscrewing. Or the other way around For the TOM I will have to make my mind, it looks simple according to the above comments, but I do not get it yet ... cables from the ceiling is not an option.

Thank you all for your time and valuable help

#11 9 years ago

You have to remove the PF BEFORE you unscrew the pivots and remove them. Could be catastrophic if you remove the pivots with the playfield sitting on them.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Is it possible to replace decals without removing the pf

Yes you can C here (well kind of )

But i would never do it like this

2 years later
#13 6 years ago

So if I'm reading this right, the various answers are:

Pivot it up to 90 degrees
Pivot it up to 75 degrees
Don't pivot it up at all

Confusing!

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

I actually have done this by sealing off the Playfield and doing all the prep and decal removal except around those bolts, then support one side from underneath and remove that bolt, prep the bolt side and do the decal application then reattach and then support and do the other side. It's possible but I've also done it the conventional wall and prepping the cabinet is easier with the Playfield out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Cumming, GA
$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livonia, MI
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-remove-a-wpc-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.