New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 107847)

How to Remove a Mushroomed Magnet?

By LilRocky

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pinthetic
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Just got a RBION and the Idol magnet has raised about a 1/10 inch from the pf and mushroomed out. I want to replace the magnet with a new one and make it flush with the pf. However, because of how it's worn, just popping out the entire magnet mechanism from under the pf is not possible. I was hoping to use a flat head screw driver and just wind the magnet up through the top of the pf, but with all my force, I can't budge that screw. Any ideas on what to do?

#2 5 years ago

I believe you have to heat the nut. I read a thread on this a while back. Believe it was about spiderman but they are both the same.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

I believe you have to heat the nut. I read a thread on this a while back. Believe it was about spiderman but they are both the same.

Thanks for the info, I'll do some digging online to see if I can find an older thread that covers this.

#4 5 years ago

You may want to loosen the big nut first. But not too far or the magnet might damage the playfield. And hold it with a wrench while you turn the screw.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from LilRocky:

Just got a RBION and the Idol magnet has raised about a 1/10 inch from the pf and mushroomed out. I want to replace the magnet with a new one and make it flush with the pf. However, because of how it's worn, just popping out the entire magnet mechanism from under the pf is not possible. I was hoping to use a flat head screw driver and just wind the magnet up through the top of the pf, but with all my force, I can't budge that screw. Any ideas on what to do?

Loosen the nut first. The nut is 1-1/8 inch if I recall correctly.

#6 5 years ago

Man, I tried to get this nut off at first and it wouldn't budge. I'll give it a bit more pain today and see if it moves.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Yes, you probably have to heat the nut to get it to budge. Its a bitch!

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from LilRocky:

Man, I tried to get this nut off at first and it wouldn't budge. I'll give it a bit more pain today and see if it moves.

I use a socket wrench. The problem is most people don't have a 1-1/8 inch socket wrench.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I use a socket wrench. The problem is most people don't have a 1-1/8 inch socket wrench.

Nut came right off with 1 1/8th bit for the socket wrench and didn't use any heat. Now that the nuts off, I went back to trying to budge the core, and still nothing. This is pretty damn annoying as I'm just doing damage to the core's slit when I try to turn a screw driver in it. If I use heat, are there chances of me damaging the magnet?

#10 5 years ago

F this, it's staying mushroomed and the next owner can deal with this nonsense. I heated up the bolt as best I could with a soldering iron. HAD one of those ratchet screwdrivers with a plastic handle, snapped that apart. Used the allen wrench idea and got that wedged in the slot, now I have a z shaped allen wrench. Core never budged for me. I'm done.

#11 5 years ago

You needed to heat it with a heat gun. How were you heating it with a soldering gun? I do not think that would melt the glue...

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from LilRocky:

Nut came right off with 1 1/8th bit for the socket wrench and didn't use any heat. Now that the nuts off, I went back to trying to budge the core, and still nothing. This is pretty damn annoying as I'm just doing damage to the core's slit when I try to turn a screw driver in it. If I use heat, are there chances of me damaging the magnet?

It may help to have a giant sized screwdriver. The larger the head the easier it is to turn without stripping the magnet core slot.
Also, just for clarity (you probably know this already), you need to turn the screwdriver clockwise to drive the core out of the top of the playfield.

#13 5 years ago

You need a drag link socket and impact wrench, removal in less than ten seconds from bottom up, just make sure impact is going correct direction and you hold on to the magnet bracket.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Out-West:

You need a drag link socket and impact wrench, removal in less than ten seconds from bottom up, just make sure impact is going correct direction and you hold on to the magnet bracket.

Now that's an idea. I don't have an impact wrench but if I can get a perfectly fitting flathead for the socket wrench, I'm sure I'd be able to get that bastard to turn. Anyone know the exact flat head size for the slot on the core?

#15 5 years ago

Battery impact driver works also with drag link socket.

#16 5 years ago

I have posted this before and maybe it will work for you if you feel like tackling it again. I use a hair dryer for heat....heat/turn, heat/turn etc. I took my Dirty Harry core out thru the top. You are turning it in the correct direction to take it out thru the top, yes? Not being wise, just asking...ya' never know. Good luck!

#17 5 years ago

RBION Seems to be worse for me than Spidey. I am on my second core on Ripley's.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
York, PA
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside