Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by herg
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Escalera_Lift_1_(resized).JPG
    2016-01-24_10-44-23_(resized).jpg
    14536491001899239977_(resized).jpg
    IMG_1861_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IMGA0391[1]_(resized).JPG
    IMGA0390[1]_(resized).JPG
    Magic_Sliders_(resized).jpg
    There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

Hey all!

So I finally got all the pinball machines lined up in a row and wondering what others do when they need to get at and pull a machine out of the row to work on it. I have them on carpet so initially bought magic sliders for them:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_36869-46422-4703495L___?productId=50383642&pl=1&Ntt=magic+sliders

They work great for pulling the machines out and sliding them back in but seem to add a far amount of bounce to the machine due to the foam part of the magic sliders that they sit on.

Any other ideas?

THANKS!!!

J2W

#2 8 years ago

Get a hydraulic pinball cart, so you can slide it under the game from the front, then pump it up to lift the game and roll forward.

Many people have bought a utility cart from Harbor Freight for < $150 and modified the handle for this purpose. The modification to the handle angles it to about 60 degrees instead of 90, which enables you to get the cart under the game without having the handle hit the front of the game.

#3 8 years ago

I get on all fours, crawl under any lift up slightly with my back, sliding the game straight out. The turtle method is great for you and chiropractor recommended

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

Get a hydraulic pinball cart, so you can slide it under the game from the front, then pump it up to lift the game and roll forward.
    Many people have bought a utility cart from Harbor Freight for < $150 and modified the handle for this purpose. The modification to the handle angles it to about 60 degrees instead of 90, which enables you to get the cart under the game without having the handle hit the front of the game.

I removed my handle completely. I use my foot to guide it under the pin and control movement holding onto the pinball machine. It actually works very slick and I easily store it under one my machines.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

I get on all fours, crawl under any lift up slightly with my back, sliding the game straight out. The turtle method is great for you and chiropractor recommended

We did not ask what you and wife do in your free time.....good grief

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

We did not ask what you and wife do in your free time.....good grief

Shouldn't you be shovelling??

#7 8 years ago

I am trying to psych myself up. Not into it.

#8 8 years ago

Pinball cart is best.
    For the longest time I just used casters from HD/Lowes. Need to have rubber foot pads on the levelers or the metal levelers will slide right off.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-6-in-Steel-Tri-Dolly-with-200-lb-Load-Rating-9299/100193474

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from Joker2Wild:

I have them on carpet so initially bought magic sliders for them:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_36869-46422-4703495L___?productId=50383642&pl=1&Ntt=magic+sliders

They work great for pulling the machines out and sliding them back in but seem to add a far amount of bounce to the machine due to the foam part of the magic sliders that they sit on.

Not all brands have that cushy foam. The ones I use look like this ...

Magic_Sliders_(resized).jpgMagic_Sliders_(resized).jpg

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Magic_Sliders_(resized).jpg

Any idea where you bought those? That would be much better!!

#11 8 years ago

Pinball cart makes it so easy, and 2 is even better in case you want to rearrange them without having to put one down to pick another up

#12 8 years ago

Also has anyone used these?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/LL25-EZG

I'm wondering if those might slide nice on carpet.

I have a pinball dolly that I could use to lift it up and pull it out but in order to fit them all along the wall I have them very close together and worried I will stratch the heads all up taking them out and in all the time

Thanks for all the help!!!

J2W

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from Joker2Wild:

Any idea where you bought those? That would be much better!!

They are the actual "Magic Sliders" brand. I think they sell the whole line at Home Depot.

#14 8 years ago

"Bounce"? My sliders (with foam) don't add any bounce... The things weigh 250lbs+. Anyway I use regular sliders and they work perfectly for what you are describing.

#15 8 years ago

I have the sliders but you only need them on the two back legs.

#16 8 years ago

I have my bank on an angle, with room at the end to rotate a couple of feet. I just rotate the front of three or four games over to give me enough room to squeeze in between. I never slide them out. It SEEMS like less work that way

#17 8 years ago

I bought these at a show and really like them.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PBS

Add some rubber or padding to the part that clips to the legs to prevent scratch or damage to leg paint / coatings..

#18 8 years ago

Sears sells ATV jacks a little carpentry and you've got a $100 pinball dolly

#19 8 years ago

I use the sliders with no problems. Once the feet fully compress the foam part, they don't bounce anymore

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

Once the feet fully compress the foam part

Agree--they will eventually mash a nice dent in those sliders and will be pretty stable...

#21 8 years ago

I use these sliders on all my games....from Home Depot. The foam is thick but the game settles down on it nicely and the game angle doesn't change. A great value too $9 for 8.

IMGA0390[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0390[1]_(resized).JPG

IMGA0391[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0391[1]_(resized).JPG

#22 8 years ago

I just put one of there on the rear legs, pick up the front of the game and roll it out.
    http://www.jabetc.com/products/pinball-skates-dolly

I also have one of these, but this a bitch to carry upstairs.
    http://t.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-61405.html

About the same price

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#23 8 years ago

I use the sliders. If I am going in to fix a minor problem, I just slide the fronts of the machines to the left and right a few inches each to give a little more space along side. Then I pull the game forward a foot or so if needed and slip in and work on it. If I need to do major work, I move the machine out of the row and put it into my service spot. The machine currently in the service spot then moves into the lineup to fill the hole. The service spot has room to move along either side and proximity to a folding table. It is also right next to HH (which I never play), so I put a towel over the playfield glass and use HH as a table for parts and tools.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from visi0n:

I bought these at a show and really like them.
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PBS
    Add some rubber or padding to the part that clips to the legs to prevent scratch or damage to leg paint / coatings..

Yup, pin skates are easy to carry around and not much effort is required to use.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

I use the sliders with no problems. Once the feet fully compress the foam part, they don't bounce anymore

I put on rubber feet on top of the sliders. It helps the pins sit more flat in the slider and deform the slider less on the carpet - especially if the carpet has a lot of padding. Once I tried this on a few pins, I had to go out and buy the rubber footies for the rest of the machines.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=564

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I use these sliders on all my games....from Home Depot. The foam is thick but the game settles down on it nicely and the game angle doesn't change. A great value too $9 for 8.

IMGA0390[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0391[1]_(resized).JPG

Same ones I use but without the carpet on them. My pins sit on carpet.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I second this suggestion these work on any surface. I have them on all my pins.

These have a much smaller base than the sliders so they don't work as well for the purpose of sliding pins in and out of position.

#28 8 years ago

I use these, the feet fit right in the concave.
    http://magicsliders.com/store/60-mm-2-3-8-concave.html
    I get them from target, a little cheaper there.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

These have a much smaller base than the sliders so they don't work as well for the purpose of sliding pins in and out of position.

Yeah those are not for carpet. Says right on Marco they are for hard floor. Problem is that on hard floor those can be way too slippery. I have moved machines a foot from time to time with a normal nudge! To me these are useless unless you never nudge at all.

#30 8 years ago

On sale at harbor freight and with 20% coupon cost less than $200.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

It is also right next to HH (which I never play), so I put a towel over the playfield glass and use HH as a table for parts and tools.

Just to clarify, is that Haunted House or Hollywood Heat?

#32 8 years ago

Just use sliders

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from frunch:

Just to clarify, is that Haunted House or Hollywood Heat?

Haunted House. Just not my game. Fun at first though. It is sold and on its way out. I only picked it up because it is in museum quality condition and I wanted it to end up in my inner circle of pinball friends!

#34 8 years ago

A cart or sliders are nice, but just yank em out what the hell. Never damaged a game doing that.

Carts you actually have to be careful with. Sometimes the game sways a little coming up or down and can smack into games next to them.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

You can also embelish and tell your pals you can bench 250 - 300 lbs.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from Joker2Wild:

Also has anyone used these?
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/LL25-EZG
    I'm wondering if those might slide nice on carpet.
    I have a pinball dolly that I could use to lift it up and pull it out but in order to fit them all along the wall I have them very close together and worried I will stratch the heads all up taking them out and in all the time
    Thanks for all the help!!!
    J2W

I have these on all my games and they work great on carpet. Can easily move all my games around by myself. Highly recommended for those with carpet.

#37 8 years ago

I have these on all my machines and found them to be the best I've used on carpet. For just a few $, makes it really easy to pull them out of a line-up, but they don't move too easily with a little nudge as the machines settle down into the carpet enough. I tried many of the "insert under a standard foot" things like the magic sliders and they always came off eventually. I also like the Marco feet as they allow you to use a wrench to adjust the them in place like standard metal ones. I bought similar ones elsewhere that just had threads which was a pain.

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Thanks, now I won't feel like such an idiot when I do this.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

Thanks, now I won't feel like such an idiot when I do this.

LOL! If I were worried about feeling like an idiot, I wouldn't allow guests to see a room full of pins

#40 8 years ago

The foam on the super sliders peels right off in one piece. I have my games on footies, on top of the foamless sliders. They don't wobble at all this way, and can be moved easily when needed.

The foam can be stuck back on easily as well. The adhesive tends to stay with it and not the plastic part.

IMG_1861_(resized).jpgIMG_1861_(resized).jpg

#41 8 years ago

I crawl under the machine and use my back too. But when I got a bingo pinball machine, that wasn't an option. A bingo pinball machine is way too heavy.

I went to Harbor Freight as others in this post have mentioned, but I bought the all aluminum motorcycle lift. The motorcycle lift doesn't go quite high enough so I made a wood box to put on the motorcycle lift. I added carpeting to the top side of the box so it doesn't scuff my machines.

I use it for pinball and slot machines. They are heavy too!

When I was at Harbor Freight I didn't see the lifting cart that ElectroCute bought. I think that he/she made a better purchase than I did.

#42 8 years ago

I don't like the cart method. It's hard to maneuver in a tight space.

I've crawled under the game and moved it that way (the floor is carpeted, so dragging is easy). But then I get comfortable and get tempted to take a nap while I'm down there

I'll probably upgrade to the pin skates at some point if I can find a used set at a lower price.

#43 8 years ago

I just grab the front and pull...then push back when im done

Simple

#44 8 years ago

Why would the cart method be hard in tight spots? The entire cart is under the machine. Only negative I can see is the weight. It definately isn't portable but is good on smooth surfaces and carpet. With the cart I can move my machines freely around without doing the turtle move. Ive done that, kinda funny. Next time I go out to pick up a machine, it'll be with a hand dolly,and shipping blankets.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't like the cart method. It's hard to maneuver in a tight space

Force...the cart works great in tight spaces, just a little practice. After my third machine I went right to harbor freight, wasn't going to mess with hurting the machine by dragging or pulling on them. Now I'm at a heavy bakers dozen, best pinball mod purchase to date, my dolly.
    But forceflow, you have 30 machines and no dolly? That hurts my back just thinking about that.

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

I would not recommend this method as I did the same thing and my lower back was aching for 2 weeks and almost put me out of commission for a few days several days after I moved it. I'll never do that again, it's either a jack or wait for help.

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Force...the cart works great in tight spaces, just a little practice. After my third machine I went right to harbor freight, wasn't going to mess with hurting the machine by dragging or pulling on them. Now I'm at a heavy bakers dozen, best pinball mod purchase to date, my dolly.
    But forceflow, you have 30 machines and no dolly? That hurts my back just thinking about that.

I have a harbor freight lift cart and the blue harbor freight hand truck. Those two things have worked for me so far for hauling, breakdown, and setup.

It takes too long to maneuver the cart into place and adjust for balance and clearance issues with the HF cart. When a game is out in the open, that's no problem. When pins packed together in a row, with not even an inch between the backboxes, it doesn't seem like the most efficient way to do it.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

Same ones I use but without the carpet on them. My pins sit on carpet.

They don't have carpet on them, it's just the background picture of the package. They have rubber on the plastic.

#49 8 years ago

Magic sliders work best, especially the ones that have a form-fitting cup-shape on the top where the leg levelers fit perfectly inside the cup and don't come off when you slide the pin.

Works great in the wild too .
    (Better than the old days of ash trays & 30 wt. oil).

#50 8 years ago

I've tried different sliders and the best were made by Scotch. They wrap around the caster well and slide great. Others work okay but don't like to stay completely on with nudging and moving.

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-pull-pins-out-of-a-row-of-pins-to-work-on-them and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.