Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dung
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

man-with-gun-robbing-drug-dealers-BAXX0C (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

How do you trade machines while protecting yourself from being ripped off

#2 5 years ago

Trade a beater POS for a new great game.

That way you are the ripper instead of the rippee.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

Seeing the game in person is best.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from fcs1965:

How do you trade machines while protecting yourself from being ripped off

Not sure I understand. It should be treated just like you’re buying the game outright. Inspect it and get comfortable with the condition before making the swap.

#5 5 years ago

Always check to make sure no one is wearing a wire
    Find out who has done time and where....in their crew
    Always ask to see the merchandise before showing yours
    Keep your cool throughout the whole process
    Always flash "the hardware"

man-with-gun-robbing-drug-dealers-BAXX0C (resized).jpgman-with-gun-robbing-drug-dealers-BAXX0C (resized).jpg
    #6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

Always check to make sure no one is wearing a wire
    Find out who has done time and where....in their crew
    Always ask to see the merchandise before showing yours
    Keep your cool throughout the whole process
    Always flash "the hardware"[quoted image]

Aaaaah, A man with experience, casehardened trader.

#7 5 years ago

Always wear a condom, too.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Always wear a condom, too.

For those trade deals that require that "special touch" to go trough

#9 5 years ago

I typically trade with the same people over and over. I know what they mean when they describe a games certain way.

Another way I like to trade is to swap nice, shopped out games for projects and cash. A lot of people don’t like to or maybe just don’t know how to work on machines. They will gladly swap an old busted game and some cash for a clean working one.

#10 5 years ago

The main thing would be to know what the condition and the going value of the games involved in the trade are. Also having played the game you’re trading for and knowing whether you like it helps.

#11 5 years ago

I never thought trading was possible many years ago. I've had 3 trades in the last year.

It's just so much easier than a stack of cash and two transactions.

#12 5 years ago

Remember to put on a condom.

#13 5 years ago

I have done a number of trades and what I have learned is never make a trade in a parking lot. Never trade a game you can't inspect, power on, and run through tests. Everytime I have made an exception I have been burned.

1st rbion find out the magnet is chewed all to hell and that the scoop is so wallowed out I have to repair it, touch up, and cover with a cliffy (did not hide all the damage).
    2nd rbion was supposed to see on route, guy pulls it when I am 10 minutes away. I was on time and it was a 4 hour drive to meet. Game had no sound.
    Traded for a supposed nice, fully working stargate. Cab was planked. PF was planked. Game was an unplayable mess. It was a player's project. Spent a day and 50 bucks to reverse that trade. Was a pinsider too.
    Radical with proto style ramp. Guy brought it from arizona. Shows up at my house late on a sunday night. He plays my tftc and see's it is fully working. I did not unfold his radical, my fault. Find out two of the ramps are melted including the proto. Two years later and it is still unplayable. Best part guy gets tftc home and starts complaining it has issues. IS unhappy because a game he has driven several thousand miles needs minor work, but says nothing about the destroyed ramps. My guess is the heat from leaving the game in the van melted the ramps.

This said, done a lot of trades that went well. Met a lot of great people. Take plenty of pics, do not describe your game, take pictures and make them good ones. Let people see the condition. If it has mechanical issues be up front. Ask for detailed pictures, trust no one, expect it to be worse than you expect. Play the game. Let them play your game. I've gotten one owner huo and I have gotten total projects as trades.

My current black knight was a high risk trade because i had few pics and he did not know what worked. Thing was the 24 I was getting made the black knight free in my eyes. If I did not need the funds I'd trade it when its done, but in this case will sell. The ag soccer ball and usa football I just got were trades. Both are projects, but the seller was up front and I knew what they needed. Will probably use the soccer ball as trade bait to get another game when its running. It is easier to find games you want this way.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-protect-yourself-when-trading-games?hl=budmanpinfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.