Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

plastic-furniture-on-couch_(resized).jpg
th_(resized).jpeg
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Clean with Novus 1 for light cleaning, Novus 2 when there's a need for a more deep clean.
Wax - Keep your playfield looking shiny. When that shine is wearing, time to wax again. Always clean before you wax so you remove any surface dirt and dust. Waxing should only be done on a clean playfield. Use a simple carnauba wax, nothing with additional polishers or cleaning agents.
Balls - Like the playfield, when they start losing their shine, replace them. You can look closely at a ball. Any visible scratches, pits, or dents are going to cause additional wear. Balls are cheap, keep smooth and shiny balls in your game.

I've only been involved in collecting for about 3yrs, but I've come to the point that I won't use novus 2 or 3. (To abrasive imho) many will chime in and say not so, cool that their opinion not mine. I use simple green sprayed lightly on a clean soft cloth for dirt and grime, and I wax with maguirers gold carnauba wax every 50 plays or so. I Also clean and wax the balls just as often as my wife likes that. The most common comments I get from people who come play or to buy are.....damn those are some shiny playfields.....
Edit.....just to be clear I use simple green on a dirty grimy gummed up playfield that needs cleaning bad.... not a pristine cleaned/waxed regularly playfield. have no problem with Novus 1 for lighter jobs.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from system11:

I've seen a few people say not to wax a brand new playfield until it's had time to 'cure' - is there actually something to this or just superstition?

It's left over **advice** from when playfields (and cars) were painted with lacquer.

Modern clearcoats are cured by catalyst, not by evaporation, so wax before you start to play.

#54 8 years ago

Grandma ! There's a goat in your house !

#55 8 years ago

I have Cliffy's on all my games when possible. Every hole, every switch below a ramp drop and every shooter lane (Left side, right side and the right wall). Don't really notice that it looks bad, but it protects them. I have a few older games that were B.C. (Before Cliffy) and the wear in the shooter lane and around holes is more than disappointing. Small price to pay compared to the cost of the machine.

I switched out the factory rubbers when I could to Superbands/Titan/Perfect Play. The factory rubber disintegrates pretty quick and that dust is usually the trail mark "crap" that gets dug into the playfield.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

PLEASE don't use Novus 2 on the playfield. Its abrasive...BAD!! I like this..

New games or old games, Novus 2 is perfectly safe to use. It's abrasive grit is past the extra fine level, and proper waxing takes care of the rest. Over a quarter century of personal use on games bought NIB or HUO just as long. I use Novus 1 just as much based on cleaning requirements I need. Wipe down is Novus 1 before rewaxing.

How do people think restorers like "Treasure Cove" get playfields so shiny in the prep work before waxing?
Mylared surfaces can be brought back to "clear glass" with Novus polishing and some work.

Novus has been a plastic industry cleaning standard since 1985, and pinball playfield surfaces almost just as long.

Keeping in mind when using Novus as a product what kind of playfield surface you are applying it on, its current condition, and the intensity of cleaning efforts.
Lacquered, Tuff coat, diamond plate, modern clear coat?
They are all slightly different.
Very old PFs cannot handle even Novus, if in poor state, as it can flake paint.

I would not use Novus 3 on new playfields as this makes little sense as this is used for deep cleaning.
It is much more abrasive, and should never be necessary if you are taking care of your games.
Restorations it is frequently needed.

The number one mistake that scratches playfields is old pinballs and using paper towels with cleaners, instead of proper terry clothes.
If you want to use Simple Green, Formula 409, Mean Green, Windex, WD-40, Pledge, Sparkle, Johnson's Floor Wax, Scrubbing Bubbles, Resolve Carpet Cleaner, Wildcat or whatever else people have come up with overall, "Fantastik".

I don't recommend them, if you want to keep your playfield "looking new", especially when some of these products come in contact with plastics.

If this was another PinSide April Fool joke, it was unfunny, because misinformation is too common here.
New collectors end up using all sorts of alternative craziness on playfields with disastrous results.
The product listed was for general clear coated metal automotive paint, not wood surface clear coating, and was never tested for such use.
I pulled the MSDS and product manufacturer information.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.95
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-protect-my-nib-investment/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.