Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200823_150826 (resized).jpg
20200824_174820 (resized).jpg
20200823_191507 (resized).jpg
0e83046090253676739bf55fcab42878f7fb7f5c (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I am nearly ready to start populating the topside of my AFM after a playfield Swap with a 2012 repro. The playfield protector I ordered is out of stock and has been canceled. After everything I have read I am relieved. I do not want to clear coat. I am installing Cliffys and will likely put a small piece of mylar around the stroke of luck. Other than 50 coats of wax is there any other prep work I should do? Thanks! Also... so much better than an overlay 20200823_191507 (resized).jpg20200823_191507 (resized).jpg

0e83046090253676739bf55fcab42878f7fb7f5c (resized).jpg0e83046090253676739bf55fcab42878f7fb7f5c (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I am nearly ready to start populating the topside of my AFM after a playfield Swap with a 2012 repro. The playfield protector I ordered is out of stock and has been canceled. After everything I have read I am relieved. I do not want to clear coat. I am installing Cliffys and will likely put a small piece of mylar around the stroke of luck. Other than 50 coats of wax is there any other prep work I should do? Thanks! Also... so much better than an overlay [quoted image]
[quoted image]

Why don't you want to clear it?

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

Probably because it takes a bunch of time and monies, not to mention its already been cleared.

I would keep the areas covered that tou are not working on with a towel personally. Stupid shit like dropping tools will happen.

#4 3 years ago

Just take it to an auto body shop and get it cleared again if it will ease your mind. Shouldn’t be that expensive if it isn’t populated.

#5 3 years ago

Oh, cliffy slot protectors for the inlanes?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

I had a pin with a cleared playfield once... a fish tales. I don't like the way they play. Plus I'm 70% of the way through the swap.

This does seem to have a thick coat of something on top. Cliffys. Maybe mylar under the ramp returnings and on the Stroke of luck. What do you guys do for the Pops?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh, cliffy slot protectors for the inlanes?

Lol don’t install these atrocities on any game. They are dumb, look stupid, and lead to stuck balls.

I wouldn’t do anything to “protect” that new playfield beyond installing a hole protector. Isn’t the entire point of a new playfield to be able to play a game with a new playfield on it?

You don’t need any additional protection beyond the clear coat it already has. This game will be getting a minuscule fraction of the play it would have on location out of the box.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Lol don’t install these atrocities on any game. They are dumb, look stupid, and lead to stuck balls.
I wouldn’t do anything to “protect” that new playfield beyond installing a hole protector. Isn’t the entire point of a new playfield to be able to play a game with a new playfield on it?
You don’t need any additional protection beyond the clear coat it already has. This game will be getting a minuscule fraction of the play it would have on location out of the box.

You're probably right. I'll be dropping in Cliffy's (not the slot protectors) but every single AFM for sale has got damage around the SOL. I looked at a bunch of old for sale ads and 90%+ are touched up around the Stroke of luck and Extra Ball insert.

Looking at this repro playfield a little more closely there is a serious coat of something everywhere including on top of the inserts. Smooth as glass. I'm guessing the repros have more protection than the originals.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

You're probably right. I'll be dropping in Cliffy's (not the slot protectors) but every single AFM for sale has got damage around the SOL. I looked at a bunch of old for sale ads and 90%+ are touched up around the Stroke of luck and Extra Ball insert.
Looking at this repro playfield a little more closely there is a serious coat of something everywhere including on top of the inserts. Smooth as glass. I'm guessing the repros have more protection than the originals.

Yes def get the hole protector.

Beyond that you don’t need anything else; it’s the “plastic on the furniture” at grandma’s house and it sucks and is unnecessary.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Interesting about stuck balls. I have Cliffys literally on all my machines and have never once had a stuck ball. Maybe your experience is title based not a blanket statement?

And your comment about not needing em at all ..... I guess that's true but could you imagine the shape of the play fields had Williams installed them from the factory? I always take the machines historical life into consideration. Had the previous owner did what I always do I wouldn't have had to do what I did.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Interesting about stuck balls. I have Cliffys literally on all my machines and have never once had a stuck ball. Maybe your experience is title based not a blanket statement?
And your comment about not needing em at all ..... I guess that's true but could you imagine the shape of the play fields had Williams installed them from the factory? I always take the machines historical life into consideration. Had the previous owner did what I always do I wouldn't have had to do what I did.

Agreed. The wood behind the drop target was almost completely worn through on my old one. Didn't even notice until it was out.

20200824_174820 (resized).jpg20200824_174820 (resized).jpg
#12 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

...This game will be getting a minuscule fraction of the play it would have on location out of the box.

You're preaching to the choir but the guy was going to put a panty liner on it so im giving him options. Take a look at a DI sometime...cracking clear and dented inlanes basically immediatly.

Oh by the way, I just renamed playfield protectors "Panty Liners;" good day sirs.

#13 3 years ago

I wouldn't do anything besides wax it. In a home use environment with occasional cleaning and waxing, you shouldn't experience much wear. I feel like I wouldn't install Cliffy's when there is no damage, what's the point? To me they are for covering up damage.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You're preaching to the choir but the guy was going to put a panty liner on it so im giving him options. Take a look at a DI sometime...cracking clear and dented inlanes basically immediatly.
Oh by the was, I just renamed playfield protectors "Panty Liners;" good day sirs.

Thanks. Playfield protector isn't needed on this after looking at it. The original plan was to put a playfield protector over the overlay, but the overlay was missing... art.

#16 3 years ago

This is what I meant by missing art on the overlay. This 100% would need a protector based on the crap quality of the print.

ebay.com link: itm

20200823_150826 (resized).jpg20200823_150826 (resized).jpg

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Same here - I don’t have on all games but never had a stuck ball on them once. To each their own, but that’s a heavy wear spot if a wireform or ramp is dropping balls - don’t really get the ‘looks stupid’ comment. No more stupid than any cliffy anywhere in the playfield. I think they look fine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
16,500 (OBO)
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-protect-a-new-reprop-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.