(Topic ID: 297850)

How to properly check System 1 small transformer?

By Chisel

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by phishrace
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

So I’m trying to diagnose dead displays on a solar ride.

So far readings are:

Lugs: AC unless noted DC
7- 14v / 14v
6- 11.58v / 11.5v
4- 11.60v / 11.5v
3- 14v / 14v
9- 35v / 69v (do 8 and 9 combine to make the 69v?)
8- 35v / 69v
12- 2.65v / 5v
11- 8.1v DC / 8v DC
10- 2.665v / 5v
15- 1.537v /3v
14- 4.147v DC / 4v DC
13- 1.54v / 3v

Oddly to me the readings that are approximately half what they should be start where they should be for a split second then settle to half value.

To get these reading I’m putting black wire on lug 5 and red on xformer outputs. Is this the correct way?

Another odd to me thing…. TheAC line in filter outputs: one has two white with grn/blk stripes and reads 67.5v. The other with white with red/blk stripes reads 50v. The maintenance outlet reads 117v.

Does this sound like a harness issue and not a transformer issue?

Thanks. I’m no electrician so please be easy on me!

****update.

Checking outputs of the A2-P3 pin 1 is 60v pin 3 is 40 volts and pins 7 and 8 are reading 1.4vdc and 1.5vdc respectively.

#2 2 years ago

Test incoming voltages at power supply board.

http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/index.htm#power

#3 2 years ago

I’m sorry I’m not sure I follow. Where exactly should I measure?

Line in? It’s 120

#4 2 years ago

Follow the link above and scroll down until you see:

Testing the System1 Power Train.

Long scroll, should've warned you.

#5 2 years ago

Ok all voltages check out except pins 6 and 7.

Pin 1 - 12.25 vac
Pin 2 - 12.25 vac
Pin 4 - 14.81 vac
Pin 5 - 14.82 vac
Pin 6 - 34.44 vac
Pin 7 - 35.52 vac

**edit - reading through some other posts on pinside I read that you should check the 69v across Pins 6 and 7. If I do that I get 71.3v

Thoughts?

#6 2 years ago

Ok after going through these exercises and learning to read voltages correctly on system 1 it seems my voltages may be ok. I started looking other places …

I unplug all displays then plugged in one at a time. Seems my player 1 must be dead or shorted. With it plugged in I got no displays. Going through the rest they all work now except player 1.

So sorry if I wasted your time phishrace but I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction for measuring the power voltages. This was good for me and I learned something!! Thank you again!

On to the next thing. Dead drop target coil.

#7 2 years ago

No prob. Nice work figuring it out.

Consider replacing all displays with LED's. They use less power and look pretty close to original. Sets run around $200-$250.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jefferson, WI
$ 7.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-properly-check-system-1-small-transformer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.