(Topic ID: 297171)

How to proceed fixing cabinet being painted single color on 1 side?

By swampwiz

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by swampwiz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I should say from the beginning that I am not a stickler for except cabinet paint; my pins are (or will eventually be) all lined up so that (for most) the sides are not very visible (especially the backbox sides, which only have about an inch or two of clearance with the adjacent ones), and in any case, I like a dark gameroom.

This is Williams Apollo, and looking back, I probably should have declined purchasing it with this cabinet paint situation (i.e., the bottom cabinet being completely painted white, except for a little section in a corner near the front), but it's what I have, so I'll have to deal with it. The other side (including that side's backbox side) is in very good stock condition, and the original side's backbox side is decent condition except for where some punk had scratched a big X.

I figure I have the following options:

[1] Complete repaint (using spray paint) using stencils, with the entire process of removing the metal side rails, etc.

[2] Simply repaint (using brushed paint) the bad side (including touching up the X) using a whitish paint that matches the current faded white on the other side, and simply use transparency sheets to get the layout of the good side, and getting it "close" on the other (any yes, with the proper enantiomorphic transposition).

[3] #2 but with bright white paint, and repainting one half of the front of the cabinet (I was considering putting in a black stripe right down the middle to aid in the transition.

I am pretty much don't care to do #1 as it is a lot of work for something that it not that valuable to me, and also I'd hate to destroy such a nice stock paint job. #2 or #3 would require a very good matching paint, both the faded white (for #2) and the other colors (reddish-orange & deep blue). I have some latex paint in both an off-white (Color Place Antique White) and a pure white, so I could probably mix them together to get a pretty good match. The other colors could be a bit of a problem to match well, although I guess I could get a starting color that it close and mix in other colors to get it right.

Something I am concerned about is if I match the faded white of the original side, it will eventually fade into something that doesn't match the faded original side, so it's like I'd have to paint it with an off-white that is not quite as off and simply let it fade into its proper color (somewhat like getting jeans pants legs taken up - a necessity with me being short - leaving an extra half-inch that will eventually be shortened by the normal shrinkage).

Of course, it would be nice to get the original orange & blue paint, so that would not be an issue.

#2 2 years ago

Have you tried just removing the white paint to see what is underneath? You might be surprised that the original design is still there and if nice enough no repaint is required.

If not, I would recommend doing the whole game. Matching aged white is nearly impossible and if you like the game its worth the effort.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Have you tried just removing the white paint to see what is underneath? You might be surprised that the original design is still there and if nice enough no repaint is required.
If not, I would recommend doing the whole game. Matching aged white is nearly impossible and if you like the game its worth the effort.

How would I remove the paint? I just tried to remove some with mineral spirits & 0000 steel wool. I guess I could try paint thinner.

The original on the front & other side is really good, so I'm going to color match (if the paint removal trick does not work), and if it turns out not to be right, I'll just repaint the white.

#4 2 years ago

Try latex remover first. If you are lucky, it's latex and you can keep the underlying paint intact.

1 year later
#5 1 year ago

UPDATE:

I have been able to scrape away the paint, albeit with a lot of small chunks of the original paint going with it. However, the color of the paint (on all faces) seems to match every well with my interior latex paint "Antique White" (obviously, the degradation of standard white paint has been well-observed), so at the very least I could touch up the places where the chunks have come off. The non-white original paint sections has even more chunks, but at least the terminator lines are in very good condition.

All that said, there are a large parts of the white paint area that have been completely scratched off (i.e., not by me - these areas had the overlay paint), so I think it makes the most sense to completely repaint it using this Antique White (or perhaps Antique White spray paint), and also a good match for the original non-white colors. I could reinforce the terminator lines and simply make my own rough stencils and just paint it like that. I think I won't even bother spray painting it, so as to avoid the problems that happens with that (I'll still use the spray paint, but I'll spray it into a cupped section of aluminum foil, and then brush paint it). The only thing I'll have to figure out is the speckling (or whatever it's called).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-proceed-fixing-cabinet-being-painted-single-color-on-1-side and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.