View topic image gallery

winger (resized).jpg
50685952_932590373613112_526755065722044416_n (resized).jpg
50862991_2225258197761762_3651611307074912256_n (resized).jpg
48926326_549686515547596_5834505392767369216_n (resized).jpg
50720484_385821228659588_3051753625937248256_n (resized).jpg
48419723_348824005901612_863015627353227264_n (resized).jpg
49501673_295202537804713_1969757085247733760_n (resized).jpg
There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Hey All -

I'm struggling with this one. I recently picked up a very rare Game Plan Global Warfare, and due to space constraints, I am thinking about putting it up for sale. It's an oddball game for sure - history says only 10 prototypes were produced, and design was lead by none other than Roger Sharpe. The game is currently not working, but it's all complete and there. I'll be fumbling around with it to get it 100%, but how does one price something like this that has no data points to point to? Do you go to eBay, auction style? Put it on CL and Pinside as a 'Make Offer' thread? I'm lost on this one. Seller knew how rare the game was, so I didn't steal it, but any advice would be appreciated. This game specifically looks to be #9 of 10.
48419723_348824005901612_863015627353227264_n (resized).jpg48419723_348824005901612_863015627353227264_n (resized).jpg48926326_549686515547596_5834505392767369216_n (resized).jpg48926326_549686515547596_5834505392767369216_n (resized).jpg49501673_295202537804713_1969757085247733760_n (resized).jpg49501673_295202537804713_1969757085247733760_n (resized).jpg50685952_932590373613112_526755065722044416_n (resized).jpg50685952_932590373613112_526755065722044416_n (resized).jpg50720484_385821228659588_3051753625937248256_n (resized).jpg50720484_385821228659588_3051753625937248256_n (resized).jpg50862991_2225258197761762_3651611307074912256_n (resized).jpg50862991_2225258197761762_3651611307074912256_n (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

usually rare games are because they aren't so good but this one looks fun. I love the scissor flipper leading to spinner shot and low pop bumper. anyway, I say ebay auction style and publicize it on here and facebook.

#3 5 years ago

Price is what someone is willing to pay. If you can't find verifiable proof of one that's sold, what you paid is what it's worth...to you. Once you put it up for sale or auction you'll know if you over paid or not depending on how quickly it does or doesn't sell.

That said, GP games seem to be all over the map. Most are fairly low production with exception of the Sharpshooter series but that doesn't mean they all command high prices. Lock Ness is pricey. Cyclopes is getting there. Andromeda is not too far behind. I'd say Global Warfare would command a pretty solid price just due to rarity. Not sure what that would be though.

#4 5 years ago

You should ask ifpapinball if any of them are interested. They may also be able to provide more background on the game.

Edit: Pages 208-209 in the Pinball Compendium 1920-1981 has information on it, including Roger Sharpe telling the story of how he got one.
Artwork by John Trudeau.

#5 5 years ago

Honestly, I'd say at least 5k, congrats on a very nice find!

#6 5 years ago

"Recent" is an understatement, you just got it yesterday?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-machine-did-you-bring-home-today-post-your-pictures/page/217

#10810 17 hours ago
OP

ZZZ
MiamiRedSkin
Pinside member

US Cincinnati, OH

5y 92,150 1,452 21 6
Scored this rare bird today. Looks like they only made 10. Weird Roger Sharpe game?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

"Recent" is an understatement, you just got it yesterday?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-machine-did-you-bring-home-today-post-your-pictures/page/217
#10810 17 hours ago
OP
ZZZ
MiamiRedSkin
Pinside member
US Cincinnati, OH
5y 92,150 1,452 21 6
Scored this rare bird today. Looks like they only made 10. Weird Roger Sharpe game?

Picked up yesterday, but I've been after this machine for over a year. Not sure what you are getting at?

#8 5 years ago

If I found a rare game like this, I'd pass it onto one of my friends for a good price. I'd make a little bit and someone I know would get a rare pin at a great price. I wouldn't post a forum thread trying to figure out how to squeeze every last penny out of someone hyping up how rare it is. It wouldn't be a hobby anymore if I did that.

#9 5 years ago

I got to play one of those at Louisville Expo a couple years ago. It's a really fun game: you need to be accurate off the right flippers or you're going to get screwed... a lot of thought went into that layout. Well worth resurrecting.

@loumatt is a very knowledgable GamePlan enthusiast, you should reach out to him for advice.

#10 5 years ago

“Help me flip this.”

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

Picked up yesterday, but I've been after this machine for over a year. Not sure what you are getting at?

You've been after it over a year, got it yesterday, and looking to price it as high as possible today........kinda what i was getting at.......

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

You've been after it over a year, got it yesterday, and looking to price it as high as possible today........kinda what i was getting at.......

Well this thread took a turn. Really was looking to get general advice on how to price something that has no public record of selling. Do you know what I paid for it? I may have paid well more than what it is 'worth.'

Also, what's wrong with people trying to fund this hobby through trading, selling, buying? Are you going to go in every thread where someone is selling a Stern LE for 1-2k more than what they purchased it for and say the same thing? Man, I thought this was a pinball forum to discuss these kinds of things. Guess I'll just stick to lurking because it's just not worth it.

Please, go to every vendor selling used games at any pinball show and berate them because they are selling games for more than what they purchased them for.

#13 5 years ago

Looks like a pretty fun game layout wise. Thanks for posting never heard of the game before. Not sure what it could possibly be worth but I am rooting for you to turn a nice profit if you decide to sell it.

#14 5 years ago

If Cyclopes can get over 5k, I would think this would be at least 7500...

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from jathomp22:

If I found a rare game like this, I'd pass it onto one of my friends for a good price. I'd make a little bit and someone I know would get a rare pin at a great price. I wouldn't post a forum thread trying to figure out how to squeeze every last penny out of someone hyping up how rare it is. It wouldn't be a hobby anymore if I did that.

And then one day your friend would sell the game and make a huge profit and you wouldn’t be friends anymore.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And then one day your friend would sell the game and make a huge profit and you wouldn’t be friends anymore.

MiamiRedSkin sounds like that friend.

Reality is, many people (including myself) have never even heard of this game until today. We know 10 were made, so it's possible it wasn't good enough to go into production or Game Plan went under before it could. This could also mean bugs exist with the design.
We know it doesn't work because you told us. Likely acid damage like most game plan boards.
Lastly, like most rare games, anything with art or game specific is near impossible to replace if missing or broken.
Could be a risky buy not knowing if it can be playable again.

I predict it sells for 3k.

#17 5 years ago

I’d give you 3k

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

miamiredskin sounds like that friend.
Reality is, many people (including myself) have never even heard of this game until today. We know 10 were made, so it's possible it wasn't good enough to go into production or Game Plan went under before it could. This could also mean bugs exist with the design.
We know it doesn't work because you told us. Likely acid damage like most game plan boards.
Lastly, like most rare games, anything with art or game specific is near impossible to replace if missing or broken.
Could be a risky buy not knowing if it can be playable again.
I predict it sells for 3k.

Geez, what is with all of the backlash? I have no friends that collect anything like this. I bought this from a gentleman who knew how rare of a machine he had. We had nothing to go off of sales-wise and we agreed on a price. I move machines in and out pretty frequently, and am in the middle of a move so looking to trim down the collection. Not sure why this thread became a personal attack on myself, but I guess this is what the forum has become.

Hey Brenna - I'm sure that 5K project quicksilver you sold is exactly what you picked it up for?

#19 5 years ago

Well this thread took a turn. Really was looking to get general advice on how to price something that has no public record of selling. Do you know what I paid for it? I may have paid well more than what it is 'worth.'
Also, what's wrong with people trying to fund this hobby through trading, selling, buying? Are you going to go in every thread where someone is selling a Stern LE for 1-2k more than what they purchased it for and say the same thing? Man, I thought this was a pinball forum to discuss these kinds of things. Guess I'll just stick to lurking because it's just not worth it.
Please, go to every vendor selling used games at any pinball show and berate them because they are selling games for more than what they purchased them for.

It is Pinside and that is what they do on Pinside. When someone gets something rare or a good deal there are always a few jealous people who need to turn things negative. And then there is the second handful of people who say since you got a good deal you should just give away any profits you might make. From my experiences with those type people they always seem to be the same guys asking crazy prices for what they are selling, have made very few transactions and have contributed very little to the pinball community.

Don't worry about the "haters" they will be about 20% of the post you get here.

Best bet is to put it up on eBay with no reserve. Let people here & on RGP know it is listed and then let the free market decide what it is worth. Once you have a buyer if you don't want to charge him as much as it sold for when he comes to pick it up you can always hand him a few dollars back when the cash is on the glass. No need for everyone here or anywhere else to know your business. Typically I do what I can to make every transaction as fair as possible for everyone involved. But how I do that is 100% my business!

Just my 2 cents on things!

The positive is it is rare - the negative is it is still a Game Plan machine. So it is hard to say where the free market might take this one! But my guess would be north of $5000 depending on how bad two people want it.

#20 5 years ago

No backlash or hatin..3k

#21 5 years ago

Move it on for what you paid for it

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

I’d give you 3k

Sell it to Banger is my vote.

He is a good guy, opens his collection for other to play quite often, and is known for taking care of a great and large rare collection.

I am guessing he would also return the favor in the future if you are looking for something he has stashed away.

bonus points > it menas I many get to play the game some day

#23 5 years ago

Man, I thought this was a pinball forum to discuss these kinds of things. Guess ...

guess again.

#24 5 years ago

$10k by Christmas! I had to say it but seriously, if you have no desire to keep a rare game like that then let the market decide in an auction.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

It is Pinside and that is what they do on Pinside. When someone gets something rare or a good deal there are always a few jealous people who need to turn things negative. And then there is the second handful of people who say since you got a good deal you should just give away any profits you might make.

Nobody knows if this was a "good deal", including the buyer, though he's really hopeful that he's gonna make some coin and is looking for confirmation.

Like a lot of guys on here, I don't keep every game I buy either. Sometimes I'll clean, fix, play and sell a game and hopefully make a couple bucks to put towards the next one.

What I DON'T do is advertise that I bought a game yesterday that I'm not keeping and ask how much you think I can get for it because it's super rare. I think THAT leaves a bad taste in most people's mouths.

#26 5 years ago

Congrats on your new toy man! My recommendation would be to keep it and enjoy it for a few months, then put it up on the marketplace as OBO and drop it by 100/200/500 a week. I am by no means a collector, but if I had to guess I'd say that is a $2500 machine for it's looks and the rarity factor. I'm guessing the right buyer may give you $4000 for it. Price it as such and drop 200 a week until it sells. Getting as much negative press as you can on your add seems to be a good way to advertise it and get the price up.

You could also send out a couple of exploratory emails to the serious collectors on this site. Look on pinside maps at those with 100/200/300 machines and PM them details about the machine. I'd start at the top and go down.

GLWTS and congratulations on finding something unique!

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Nobody knows if this was a "good deal", including the buyer, though he's really hopeful that he's gonna make some coin and is looking for confirmation.
Like a lot of guys on here, I don't keep every game I buy either. Sometimes I'll clean, fix, play and sell a game and hopefully make a couple bucks to put towards the next one.
What I DON'T do is advertise that I bought a game yesterday that I'm not keeping and ask how much you think I can get for it because it's super rare. I think THAT leaves a bad taste in most people's mouths.

If you need to know all of the details, I bought this game in a package and am keeping the other game. It's not as rare and frankly, I don't collect the oddities which is why I am selling this game. I didn't leave any details out so I'm still not understanding the flack. In the pickup thread, I clearly stated that I am moving, have no room, and will most likely be putting this up for sale. I started the conversation about buying these games far before I was moving and had no idea that my allocated pinball space was shrinking to a mere fraction of what it is today when me and the seller finally agreed on a price.

In this thread, I was asking for advice on how to sell such an oddity. Clearly meant to have a discussion around selling something without any historical reference on price, yet you keep insisting that I am trying to stretch all of the coin out of the game to increase profits as much as possible. If you look at my history, I started a very similar thread about an original Big Foot translite that I was tinkering with the idea of selling. That was a much more robust conversation than this one turned into.

Again, you have no reference at all on how much I purchased this game for, nor the amount of time and effort it took to find it. I'm a totally reasonable dude - look at my feedback. I buy new in box games, I trade games, I buy used games, I sell some games - I think I'm a pretty standard collector, but your opinion can be whatever you want it to be.

#28 5 years ago

Nothing wrong with it. Don’t listen to the disgruntled cry babies. Represent a game accurately and sell as quick as you want for whatever the hell you want.

I’d love to find a game that’s worth a heck of a lot more to somebody else than what I paid for it.

Thanks for sharing.

#29 5 years ago

Full disclosure, I sent a PM to Miami asking about this game prior to seeing this thread.

Miami admits that he moves a lot of games. In general, that tells me he has a pretty good pulse on what games sell for. Rare games like this, that have no sales data, make it tougher to estimate the price. However, in this case, both the buyer and seller were aware that it was a rare game. While the seller may not have had a good feel for pricing of games in general, Miami did. I'd expect he paid a fair price for the game.

Given that Miami can't keep the game due his circumstances, he's now looking to move it on to someone else. While I'm hoping he'll take a modest profit for his efforts and sell it to me (assuming it's a price I can afford and am comfortable with), I most certainly do not blame him for trying to maximize his profit. He found the game, what he does with it is his business.

Basically, all of us are guessing at what this game might sell for. In the end, it's the same story - the game is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If he wants to maximize his profits then it seems like an Ebay auction would be the way to go. Advertise the sale and then let the market do what it does.

I feel pretty confident that when he started working on getting this game a year ago he wasn't thinking about how fast he could sell it or how much profit he could make. It sounds like his circumstances have changed and now he wants to sell this game. He's just looking for the best avenue to do so.

#30 5 years ago

Great find. We could use one at the Museum of Pinball in Banning CA. We do not have this title. I will let the owner know to keep an eye out for when you go to sell it.
Don't worry about the pinside haters, they are a waste of time.

#31 5 years ago

If you need to know all of the details, I bought this game in a package and am keeping the other game. It's not as rare and frankly, I don't collect the oddities which is why I am selling this game. I didn't leave any details out so I'm still not understanding the flack. In the pickup thread, I clearly stated that I am moving, have no room, and will most likely be putting this up for sale. In this thread, I was asking for advice on how to sell such an oddity. Clearly meant to have a discussion around selling something without any historical reference on price, yet you keep insisting that I am trying to stretch all of the coin out of the game to increase profits as much as possible. Again, you have no reference at all on how much I purchased this game for, nor the amount of time and effort it took to find it. I'm a totally reasonable dude - look at my feedback. I buy new in box games, I trade games, I buy used games, I sell some games - I think I'm a pretty standard collector, but your opinion can be whatever you want it to be.

I'm a pretty reasonable dude too and am a pretty standard collector. To me, it sounded like you specifically zero'd in on this game to flip it and came here looking for the highest bidder.

I much prefer making friends than enemies, so I apologize if I mis-interpreted your post. Good luck with your sale, and your move.

#32 5 years ago

Or find someone willing to store it for you if you give them a reasonable split of the profit, until you sell it. Got to be somebody willing to do that near Cincinatti... I would if I was back home in Ohio. Heck, you could sit it in my front room if it was working and it wouldn't cost you a dime

#33 5 years ago

Not only is it rare, the game is in great shape too! Probably just a fuse will get it going. GLWS Miami

#34 5 years ago

how to price something that has no public record of selling.

One was for sale in Wisconsin about 14 years ago. Sold for $500.00

Only Game Plan wide body. Lockdown bar pieced together. Neat light show on backglass when all the missiles are strobing to the center.

I'd think the $7,500 mentioned to be about right.

LTG : )

#35 5 years ago

Gonna ignore the comments about flipping, but rarity is good and bad.

On the one hand you can say they only made 10, but very few have ever played a working one. Unless someone with deep pockets just likes to have rare for the sake of rare (and they exist) many will pass. At 7,500 you are asking someone to buy a broken game, that chances are they have no idea if it is even fun, for new game money. Might happen, or it might turn into your Jackbot where the starting price was too high and it scared off interest.

So, if you go swinging out of the gate thinking rare = $$ you may end up holding it. Once it sits for awhile and you start dropping the price you will still have a bunch of potential buyers scared off. They will see how long its been sitting and the number of times you've dropped the price and think *gee, guess the market doesn't think its worth near that*.

My suggestion, don't list it. Find a rare collector or gameplan collector. One might even have contacted you based on this post. See what they would offer and decide if it is enough. I bet if you take to a few different collectors who chase these things, you will get a realistic idea of what the market would bear. Everyone else is just guessing.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Might happen, or it might turn into your Jackbot where the starting price was too high and it scared off interest.

There's a difference in that this is a genuine rarity that will be desirable for someone.

Jackbot sample isn't really anything anybody wants, considering it's got those terrible bouncy eye locks.

#37 5 years ago

Hey Brenna - I'm sure that 5K project quicksilver you sold is exactly what you picked it up for?

Touche! At least I put up a for sale thread and paid the pinside fees.. I didn't expect it would sell for that much; it was a obo ad afterall.
Prior to that, no quicksilver prices were documented.
I hope you document the sale price so we can all rejoice in your good fortune.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Touche! At least I put up a for sale thread and paid the pinside fees.. I didn't expect it would sell for that much; it was a obo ad afterall.
Prior to that, no quicksilver prices were documented.
I hope you document the sale price so we can all rejoice in your good fortune.

Again, if you read my Thread title, it's 'How to Price,' not 'For Sale.' I have no issue keeping this game in storage, which is strange, because you would think I would get more flack from the community about putting this away in a vault than letting someone else enjoy it.

#39 5 years ago

Keep it for a while. If it's really a space issue, sell something else, or put something else in storage. Play the crap out of it and if you don't like it, then sell it. At least that way you can honestly say it wasn't for you and it's time to move on.

Not trying to be a dick or anything, but as a casual observer I think you're missing the point. You've been chasing this game for a year. You finally get it. And less than a day goes by and you're talking about selling it. That says flipper to me. Just as an outsider looking in, mind you.

That said, the previous owner agreed to a price and you paid him. It's your game and you have every right to do whatever you want with it. TNT it off a building if you want to. I just know that if you'd been hounding me for this game for a year and I finally gave in and sold it to you, I know how I'd feel if I found out you sold it the next day. Again, not trying to be a dick, just trying to help you understand how the previous owner could be hurt by this.

Pricewise, I don't know where to put it. Cyclopes and Brenna's Quicksilver both sold for $5K. Not as rare, but certainly desirable games. This one? Who knows. Not many people have played it. I played it at Expo, but it was not set up properly and didn't play well. A 1 of 10 game and I walked away after one game. I think I would start at $5-6K and see what kind of interest you get. On ebay, the rarity alone would certainly get people to throw stupid money at it.

#40 5 years ago

I think it should be sent to HEP to be restored!

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Keep it for a while. If it's really a space issue, sell something else, or put something else in storage. Play the crap out of it and if you don't like it, then sell it. At least that way you can honestly say it wasn't for you and it's time to move on.
Not trying to be a dick or anything, but as a casual observer I think you're missing the point. You've been chasing this game for a year. You finally get it. And less than a day goes by and you're talking about selling it. That says flipper to me. Just as an outsider looking in, mind you.
That said, the previous owner agreed to a price and you paid him. It's your game and you have every right to do whatever you want with it. TNT it off a building if you want to. I just know that if you'd been hounding me for this game for a year and I finally gave in and sold it to you, I know how I'd feel if I found out you sold it the next day. Again, not trying to be a dick, just trying to help you understand how the previous owner could be hurt by this.
Pricewise, I don't know where to put it. Cyclopes and Brenna's Quicksilver both sold for $5K. Not as rare, but certainly desirable games. This one? Who knows. Not many people have played it. I played it at Expo, but it was not set up properly and didn't play well. A 1 of 10 game and I walked away after one game. I think I would start at $5-6K and see what kind of interest you get. On ebay, the rarity alone would certainly get people to throw stupid money at it.

I'm a hobbyist. When I think of flipper, I think of something completely different. I'm not a business - I'm a dude who enjoys the hunt of the find, playing, trading, buying, selling, and fixing them. I chased this game because I knew it was an oddity, and it was stashed away in a rinky-dink basement (as pictured in my original post) getting absolutely no love. I'm more of a modern guy, so while I love the provenance, I rather trade this or sell this to help fund a more recent game. I have no issue putting this in a storage unit, but for some reason, that seems even worse than selling or trading? Call me whatever you want - I disagree and that's fine.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd think the $7,500 mentioned to be about right.

Try this with OBO and see what happens.

#43 5 years ago

I'm a hobbiest. When I think of flipper, I think of something completely different. I'm not a business - I'm a dude who enjoys the hunt of the find, playing, and fixing them. I chased this game because I knew it was an oddity, and it was stashed away in a rinky-dink basement (as pictured in my original post) getting absolutely no love. I'm more of a modern guy, so while I love the provenance, I rather trade this or sell this to help fund a more recent game. Call me whatever you want - I disagree and that's fine.

That's exactly my point. I've seen your activity here long enough to know that you're not a flipper. I was only stating how this is seen by other people not in the know, possibly even the previous owner.

I mean, c'mon, 1 in 10? How could you NOT set this thing up and play it?

#45 5 years ago

actually, forget it.

#46 5 years ago

Honestly, I think that anyone who is valuing it more than a couple grand isn't actually legitimately interested in the game enough to put cash on the table and is just throwing out random numbers.

1) Yes, it's rare, but as dung said, rarity != $$
2) It's game plan. It's not a particularly popular manufacturer to begin with. Imagine someone trying to sell an equally rare game from Bell Games or Playmatic or something.
3) It's non-working. From a manufacturer with low popularity. And hard to find parts.
4) It's not a popular/mythical title that people talk about, unlike Loch Ness Monster or Cyclopes. A game with the right theme, layout, and artwork can fetch a considerable sum. A game that doesn't have those things, not so much. I've had to face the reality with the rare games I've owned that don't tick all those boxes, which can make it tough to sell them.

So, you'll have to find someone who finds the rarity desirable, isn't afraid to tackle repairs on this type of game, and who might be interested in the gameplay/layout/artwork.

It would be easier to sell if it was working, and if there was a gameplay video available. Buying a rare game blind without seeing what it can do, how it plays, and what the code is like can drastically affect the price.

In order to get a significant price, a potential buyer is going to have to be interested in several aspects of the game.

Would I throw $500 at it? Sure, for me, it's a no-brainer. I don't mind tinkering with rare games, games without documentation, or game plan games. $1000? Maybe. $1500+, probably not--just because I don't tick all of the boxes for this game. I find the rarity and history of the game interesting, but artwork and layout don't really seem too interesting to me (or rather, enough to spend a considerable sum on it, anyway).

Would someone else be legitimately willing to put a significant cash sum on the table right now in order to beat out every one else to it? I have no idea. But judging from the responses in this thread, the interest level is lukewarm at best.

In any case, it is a cool find.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Honestly, I think that anyone who is valuing it more than a couple grand isn't actually legitimately interested in the game enough to put cash on the table and is just throwing out random numbers.
1) Yes, it's rare, but as dung said, rarity != $$
2) It's game plan. It's not a particularly popular manufacturer to begin with. Imagine someone trying to sell an equally rare game from Bell Games or Playmatic or something.
3) It's non-working. From a manufacturer with low popularity. And hard to find parts.
4) It's not a popular/mythical title that people talk about, unlike Loch Ness Monster or Cyclopes. A game with the right theme, layout, and artwork can fetch a considerable sum. A game that doesn't have those things, not so much. I've had to face the reality with the rare games I've owned that don't tick all those boxes, which can make it tough to sell them.
So, you'll have to find someone who finds the rarity desirable, isn't afraid to tackle repairs on this type of game, and who might be interested in the gameplay/layout/artwork.
It would be easier to sell if it was working, and if there was a gameplay video available. Buying a rare game blind without seeing what it can do, how it plays, and what the code is like can drastically affect the price.
In order to get a significant price, a potential buyer is going to have to be interested in several aspects of the game.
Would I throw $500 at it? Sure, for me, it's a no-brainer. I don't mind tinkering with rare games, games without documentation, or game plan games. $1000? Maybe. $1500+, probably not--just because I don't tick all of the boxes for this game. I find the rarity and history of the game interesting, but artwork and layout don't really seem too interesting to me (or rather, enough to spend a considerable sum on it, anyway).
Would someone else be legitimately willing to put a significant cash sum on the table right now in order to beat out every one else to it? I have no idea. But judging from the responses in this thread, the interest level is lukewarm at best.
In any case, it is a cool find.

Appreciate the analysis. This is why I started the thread for posts like this. I can tell you that I have a lot more into it than the prices you would be interested in. Behind the Stern/Bally favorites of this era, I do think Game Plan games are next in line for love. Look at Andromeda and Cyclopes and the prices they are fetching. Then the games like Loch Ness Monster which you alluded to, which is fetching crazy, crazy amounts (more than any Stern/Bally).

It's odd - when people buy machines, they are so concerned about it working/not working. I of course care about working condition when I'm paying top dollar, but everything can be repaired. It's the cosmetics that are most concerning to me, especially the playfield, and of course the game being complete, which this one is (as parts would be impossible to find). I have other game plan machines that I can use as guides or even use parts to get it up and running, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm leaning towards keeping it for a awhile and possibly sticking in storage until I have some more room. Might be a cool game to bring to Pincinnati next year, as other collectors brought rediculously cool games for others to enjoy like Varkon, Star Light, Warlok, Joust, Rat Race, etc.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

I got to play one of those at Louisville Expo a couple years ago. It's a really fun game: you need to be accurate off the right flippers or you're going to get screwed... a lot of thought went into that layout. Well worth resurrecting.
@loumatt is a very knowledgable GamePlan enthusiast, you should reach out to him for advice.

Hey that's my brother, so you are close lol! But yeah, any questions on the game you can reach out to me and I can try to help. It is similar to other gameplans with the exception it has a massive power supply in the bottom (not the same as other GP pins), a special board for the backbox light show (similar to Lizard, which I saw you have), and uses 2 SDU boards since it has well over 20 solenoids (the drop targets can be individually controlled, unlike other GP pins too).

Quoted from dothedoo:

I played it at Expo, but it was not set up properly and didn't play well. A 1 of 10 game and I walked away after one game.

This is my bad. That was the first time having that game out of the collection and to a show. It lasted prob like 2 hours before I had to start working on it, and never got it fully working again there. Also the reason why I put it in the Vendor room instead of the "free play room", as I knew it would be lucky if it made it the entire weekend I brought it to the Louisville show a couple times. Last year it stayed up till Sat evening, which I thought was a huge success!!

Quoted from LTG:

Only Game Plan wide body. Lockdown bar pieced together. Neat light show on backglass when all the missiles are strobing to the center.)

Yeah, I had to get this since I love GamePlan pins, and wanted Roger Sharpe's design #2-ish for GamePlan. Cool story was that he didn't know they even produced it till later. John T. did the artwork as well as some of the electonic designs (he came up with how the animated backglass worked at least). He opened the game up with me at Louisville a few years back and told me the flasher was wired wrong, and it should be wired like xyz (I ended up fixing that).

I'm leaning towards keeping it for a awhile and possibly sticking in storage until I have some more room. Might be a cool game to bring to Pincinnati next year, as other collectors brought rediculously cool games for others to enjoy like Varkon, Star Light, Warlock, Joust, Rat Race, etc.

Yes! That is what pinball is all about! Share the rareties so others can play and make their own assessment on why such the low #s made

Long reply on the post, but I do find it to be a challenging wide body game, and love how the targets are remembered between balls. The spinner shot is awesome too. GLWTS if you end up selling it!

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

No backlash or hatin..3k

IMHO this is a very fair offer.

I collect and restore old and rare games. I have no interest in this game as I am not typically a fan of the ultra wides, the them does little for me, and I am less interested in the typically higher value for the rarity factor and more interested in the known great theme/player and rare.

I was asked about this game before it came hear and my gut said 3k is what it would realistically sell for in this condition. Working, clean, and with a good game play video could make it fetch a bit more.

All things said, the uber rare market is a really fickle group and a hard one to predict. I see the possibility of someone that colelcts the uber rare willing to pay 5k but not much over that.

#50 5 years ago

You really should keep it for a little while.

And to everyone else, I'll stand up and vouch you're a reasonable guy: you held a mint original Firepower backglass for me while you were in Chicago and I was trying to send my family by proxy to pick it up. (I still have that BTW, it's going nowhere).

But back to keeping it: I've seen your rate of churn on games. Everything from projects to A-list keepers. I know it's just your MO. But this is a ONE of TEN: when are you ever going to get another?

Everything else comes and goes; whatever else you have, you can probably get again. So free space with the others, then see what "better than sitting in a basement" love you can give this Global Warfare. 1 of 10. You just said yourself, the bones are solid and you have other GP parts. I happen to know GP experts about an hour away who could probably help (not that I want to speak for them, but what are the odds?)... so it sounds like you're the guy to fix it.

At least give it a shot after a years' pursuit! If following an honest effort you then decide "eh... I'm out" then so be it. We've all been there. But it seems like you're maybe rushing just a bit too quick and risking seller's remorse for a quick buck. (And if you DID get it fixed, well it could only be worth more then right? And you could claim status as having fixed a 1-of-10 which would be even cooler cred to have in my book...)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-price-super-rare-game-plan-global-warfare-proto?hl=greenhornet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.