New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 6140)

How to play Tron?

By pinballslave

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by DutchTommy
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

After getting hold of a Tron LE recently I was very eager to set it up... so out went WH2O and in came Tron... a truly stunning game!

After playing it for a while I feel I'm struggling... My understanding is that the main aim is to get to the portal, which means lighting the central column of lights... the most difficult of which seems to be GEM... this requires a very tight shot from the upper flipper to the right inner loop... it's so tight that it's rare that I make it... the right target in front of the left ramp seems way too low, obscuring the balls passage to this GEM shot... What I find I'm doing, therefore, is purely aiming to get GEM lit... it seems in doing that that all the other lights get lit with no effort... and the chances are that by the time I get GEM, then I've almost got everything else by accident... and then starts Sea of Simulation... and what's the first shot you have to make? Yep, GEM!! I've been trying to get GEM for the entire game, and now, when I finally get to where I want to be, I have to shoot GEM again... Typically I fail and loose the ball, so then we're back getting the column lights, and more GEM shots... maybe I'm just very bad at the cross playfield shots, ar maybe I'm playing this game wrong... But to be honest it's making me think I made a mistake buying this game... I want to like it, I want to keep it... Help me someone!

#2 9 years ago

All the info you need is here.http://www.pinballnews.com/games/tron/index6b.html
For some reason the links are not working but just copy the link and paste in your search
and it will come up.

#3 9 years ago

It is a tough shot but focus on Gem when the target bank is down. The easiest time to go for it (in my opinion) is when you're in Quorra multiball. Afterall, during Quorra you need that same shot for the super jackpot.

So while in Quorra keep hitting the center bank for the add-a-balls and then the center bank will drop when no more are available giving you easier access to the Gem/Super Jackpot shot.

Another fun thing about Tron LE is the Daft Punk multiball. Some games I'll play and just focus on trying to get that. Left ramp x 4, right ramp x 4 and then repeat. It's tough as well but extremely rewarding

#4 9 years ago

Thanks for that, it was an intersting read, and it will certainly effect how I play the game!! I do think, however, that the difficulty in making the right inner loop will still dominate the strategy needed to get to the Portal... Do other Tron players find this shot incredibly difficult? If only the 'U' target of ZUSE was a bit further back it would open up the shot and ballance out the game...

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from ARTMAN:

So while in Quorra keep hitting the center bank for the add-a-balls and then the center bank will drop when no more are available giving you easier access to the Gem/Super Jackpot shot.

Thanks, I picked this up in the writeup pinmike sent the link to also... but I don't find the 3-bank in front of the disk is in the way of the right inner loop anyway... what's in the way is the 'U' of ZUSE... from what I can gather...

I'll try getting to the Daft Punk multiball too It that the one also known as 'black multiball', or is that something else?

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

It that the one also known as 'black multiball', or is that something else?

I've never heard of 'black multiball' so let me know if there's something I'm missing! I think 'daft punk' is also known as 'end of line' multiball.

If you stand over the left side of your game and look at that shot you'll see that three bank is blocking it. The Zuse target would be an obstacle but I think you'll find you'll be shooting it further down on the flipper so it doesn't really get in the way. The shot is easiest when it's a slow rolling ball. Hence you can get it after making the Quorra shot much easier than when it whips around from the right orbit.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from ARTMAN:

If you stand over the left side of your game and look at that shot you'll see that three bank is blocking it. The Zuse target would be an obstacle but I think you'll find you'll be shooting it further down on the flipper so it doesn't really get in the way. The shot is easiest when it's a slow rolling ball.

I'm itching to get the glass off and put a straight edge from the flipper contact point required to make the shot (assuming a slow ball) and the left of the ball entry... just to see what's really in the way on mine

I've only heard of black multiball... apparently it's when all the lights go out except the ramp lights (therefore only possible on the LE model)... is this what happens in DP multiball? If so, then this is what I'd heard as 'black miultiball'...

Understood re the slow rolling ball... the ball will be lower down the flipper to make the shot, and therefore the ball path will be lower at the offending obsticals... Having the flipper a bit lower would also help... I wonder how much adjustment there is on the flipper without drilling the bush hole in the playfield... or maybe I could drill it just a bit bigger

#8 9 years ago

or maybe I could drill it just a bit bigger []

You have to have difficult challenges in a game so sorry that's cheating I forbid it

Stop moaning and play better haahaa

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from emo:

Stop moaning and play better haahaa

I will try harder sir...

#11 9 years ago

There is a mode called daft punk multiball on the LE version, that would be your "black" multiball.

That "gem" shot is make able with practice, and easier when the wall is down.

Practice is the answer, not bastardizing the flipper mech

Fun game, my buddy owns it, my best score is around 75mil, nobody has cracked 100 on his machine yet...I would have if I owned it myself

#12 9 years ago

It's taken me about 50 games, but I've finally ironed out some success on gem. Someone mentioned hitting it during Quorra multiball and that's an excellent idea. It's an easier shot from the upper flipper when the ball approaches it not hugging the left wall. Sometimes a slow ball or say more than one ball will come down it (like during Quorra) and that's when you can consistently make the shot. Also, I often have luck using the right flipper to bank off the TRON targets. Be careful though,because hitting the end of the upper flipper or that post next to it will send the ball back at you in a hurry. My problem is completing light cycle multiball. I'm just not good enough to take them all out with a short two ball multiball.

#13 9 years ago

I have been using the bank method on Gem to get things done. When the T-R-O-N targets are down, the rubber behind it makes for an excellent slingshot. You could always float the ball up to the third flipper as well. The standard shot to make Gem consistantly is always the Quorra loop.
Good luck with her.
An odd one as well- sometimes I can get the plunge to rollover Gem with the right amount of speed and nudge. Not consistently mind you, but it can be done!

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from taz:

My problem is completing light cycle multiball.

Don't forget, Light Cycle is all about completing three shots in a row to complete and not getting all of them. Shoot left ramp, quorra, and then right ramp and you're done. Takes a bit to get that pattern down but it's doable. Er, maybe it's quorra, right ramp, left ramp. I don't know but it's a 3 shot deal

#15 9 years ago

With a bag on your head so you can't see the crappy artwork!

#16 9 years ago

quorra, right ramp, left ramp would be the one...tough to do with multiple balls on the field though...

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Hyperion:

With a bag on your head so you can't see the crappy artwork!

Just change everything over to Cointaker's "Ultra Brights" and you won't be able to see a thing!

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

When the T-R-O-N targets are down, the rubber behind it makes for an excellent slingshot.

Good tip, have noticed this accidental GEM shot myself...

After a few 1000 games the 'U' of ZUSE target should be hammered back enough to make the shot a bit easier too... hang on, I've just had an idea... now where's that hammer!?

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Fun game, my buddy owns it, my best score is around 75mil, nobody has cracked 100 on his machine yet...I would have if I owned it myself

my buddy recently broke through portal MB mode and scored like 125 mil...i wasn't there..asked him what it was like (still haven't gotten to portal myself). he said "like most wizard modes" a lot of balls, i didn't know what to shoot for ...haha

#20 9 years ago

After getting hold of a Tron LE recently I was very eager to set it up... so out went WH2O and in came Tron... a truly stunning game!

After playing it for a while I feel I'm struggling... My understanding is that the main aim is to get to the portal, which means lighting the central column of lights... the most difficult of which seems to be GEM... this requires a very tight shot from the upper flipper to the right inner loop... it's so tight that it's rare that I make it... the right target in front of the left ramp seems way too low, obscuring the balls passage to this GEM shot... What I find I'm doing, therefore, is purely aiming to get GEM lit... it seems in doing that that all the other lights get lit with no effort... and the chances are that by the time I get GEM, then I've almost got everything else by accident... and then starts Sea of Simulation... and what's the first shot you have to make? Yep, GEM!! I've been trying to get GEM for the entire game, and now, when I finally get to where I want to be, I have to shoot GEM again... Typically I fail and loose the ball, so then we're back getting the column lights, and more GEM shots... maybe I'm just very bad at the cross playfield shots, ar maybe I'm playing this game wrong... But to be honest it's making me think I made a mistake buying this game... I want to like it, I want to keep it... Help me someone!

I've had the exact same issue, and I think any owner of Tron has as well.

The Gem shot is hard. Too hard imo. I spent several days playing Tron and doing nothing but practicing the Gem shot. It helped some, I got better at it. But..it is still difficult and can make for a frustrating experience.

It does suck when the only thing that you care about or are concentrating on is that single shot!

I've tried the ricochet method that others mention. It can work, but frankly it works less than just hitting it with the upper left flipper.

#21 9 years ago

Can't you change something in the software to make GEM easier?

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from darkmiss:

Can't you change something in the software to make GEM easier?

This goes against the grain for me... for some reason I prefer to change something in the hardware

#23 9 years ago

Hello everyone. I am new to this site but thought I would chime in. My high score on the LE model is 143M. The gem shot is near impossible if the ball is hugging the flipper or moving too fast. I make the shot by shooting the Quorra loop at a reduced speed(quick tap of right flipper), then when the ball comes around to the upper left flipper doing a quick double tap first tap to get separation second for the shot. It gets easier with practice, but the ball has to be traveling slow. A very difficult shot for sure. As far as strategy I find it best to try and combine Quorra and Light Cycle multiballs then quickly knock down TRON targets for double scoring. I concentrate on completing Daft Punk for extra ball and End Of Line multiball and let everything else work itself out.

#24 9 years ago

I'll just say it... I want one!

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

doing a quick double tap first tap to get separation second for the shot.

Definitely a good strategy to use when learning the timing/feel of the upper flipper.
Gem is definitely the hardest shot in the game, especially when SOS comes around. It seems like too much pressure with the subdued music patiently waiting for you to make a mistake.
I always seem to choke before getting to Portal multi...
I guess that is why I love playing it still.
That, "Just one more game!" feeling that TRON has. Artwork aside, the music, sounds and gameplay are key elements, they are what suck me in- always coming back for more...
Finally broke the 1000 plays mark yesterday (not by myself mind you...) and she's still running like a champ!
Kudos to John and the team!

1 month later
#26 8 years ago

Hmmm I have never ever ever seen EB on this game... I assume from the above posts that you complete Daft Punk to get it lit??? Do you have to complete it once or twice to get EB lit or is that just for Multiball?.. Also how is the Flynn Mystery shot lit?? Even when the mystery is lit I have not idea since the flynn hole is not lit grrr.

6 months later
#27 8 years ago

Anyone have anything new to add to this ??

#28 8 years ago

Let me explain a couple for the new TRON owners.

End of Line Multiball is accomplished by doing the following.
- Complete DAFT PUNK, 1 time and this will lite EXTRA BALL at the Arcade Scoop hole.
- Complete DAFT PUNK, the second time and the arcade Scoop will lite, make the arcade scoop shot to begin End of Line/Daft Punk Multiball. It's a tough thing to accomplish but it can be done. I've only done it once on my game as mine is set to factory settings.

To Light the FLYNN insert. You must do the following:
It's easier to make this shot at ball start. Plunge the ball lightly like as if you are trying to make it into the arcade scoop, if it doesn't fall into the arcade scoop, the ball will roll down to the right over a rollover lane switch. This switch lights the blinks the FLYNN insert in the center column. If you notice after making this shot the red arrow will rotate a few seconds along the various shots near the back of the playfield starting at the left (left loop, then left ramp, quorra, etc.). Hit the current arrow that is lit to complete the FLYNN mode, thus turning the FLYNN insert solid (completed)

Hope that helps....

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

If you notice after making this shot the red arrow will rotate a few seconds along the various shots near the back of the playfield starting at the left (left loop, then left ramp, quorra, etc.). Hit the current arrow that is lit to complete the FLYNN mode, thus turning the FLYNN insert solid (completed)

It is my understanding that all you have to do is hit the left bank of targets after the rollover to light Flynn?

#30 8 years ago

There are two methods I use for gem. When I just can't hit it, I will try the bounce off from the targets (PRO) OR most recently, I will hit quorra and just before it gets to the upper flipper (I usually hold the flipper up too) I will give the pin a slight nudge UP, this way when I go to snap the flipper, my chances increase a ton because it's just enough movement to slow the ball down and on track. You also have a better shot with the 3 bank down of course.

Other than that, my strategy so far is trying to get to quorra and light cycle at least twice a piece (for optimal scoring chances and completions) before going after disk. I like to have the wall down during the quorra/light cycle hunt too, and put a few balls in there so when I'm done with those modes, i don't have many left to throw in there. This can backfire though when the disk spins the ball out and back in to the recognizer two or three times! lol!
I usually bank on a couple gem shots by accident during multi-ball as well. Then you cash in for sea. I've been to portal twice, almost completed it once. My HS so far is 168 million on stock settings and stock outlane posts. I think I'll have that beat over the next week.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

My HS so far is 168 million on stock settings and stock outlane posts. I think I'll have that beat over the next week.

Wow....I..... Suck.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

shacklersrevenge said:My HS so far is 168 million on stock settings and stock outlane posts. I think I'll have that beat over the next week.
Wow....I..... Suck.

Me too

1 week later
#33 8 years ago

So, is the gem shot a reason not to buy this pin? Playing it in a couple of days so will try to hit it!

#34 8 years ago

nah, Gem shot is just harder than average. I almost always get it every game I play. I plunge to hit Gem, and thats a huge help.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from asnatlas:

Anyone have anything new to add to this ??

Yeah,
Practice, practice, practice...
Seriously though,
If you can get your right ramp timing down no matter what the ball speed is, GEM will become that much easier to complete.
In a perfect world my first plunge would be right ramp, loop through pops, right ramp, loop through pops (again), right ramp and then slam it into the arcade for a nice EOL bonus. Then, I drop the bank, go for Quorra while trying for GEM (finishing off P-U-N-K, if that shot is too late), finish D-A-F-T and then collect the extra ball while simultaneously starting at least Quorra and possibly Lightcycle Multi at the same time.
Regardless of HOW you play, TRON is a great machine that still gets me amped after all of these months of ownership.
When you are on point, it makes for one hell of a ride.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So, is the gem shot a reason not to buy this pin? Playing it in a couple of days so will try to hit it!

Gen shot is a great shot it really keeps me coming back.
I have been completing gem on lots of my games now.
I can even hit it with the target bank up but it much harder with the bank up.
It is the love it and hate it shot. When you are on it is very rewarding when you are off not so much.

#37 8 years ago

The gem shot is relatively hard to hit if you focus on it, but relatively easy to achieve during game play. Pay very close attention to the ball, your easiest shot to the gem is when the ball is kind of floating near the upper flipper. Not right up against the upper flipper, but about an inch away. Hitting the disc often sets you up as it spins the ball near the upper flipper and just hangs there for a sec. On it's way down just a quick tap when the ball is at the end of the upper flipper will always hit the gem smoothly. If you pay attention, this opportunity presents itself quite often. Hitting gem going through the quorra shot is very difficult because the ball has too much momentum coming down and the ball is too close to the upper flipper to get the correct angle. I can't speak for the pro, but an accurate shot off the limited edition T drop target in TRON also sends the ball straight through the gem like a bank shot.

#38 8 years ago

Best thing I ever did was learn how to plunge Gem for the super secret unofficial skill-shot! I can hit it about 60% of the time now and its more valuable to me than the 1mil you get in the arcade scoop.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Best thing I ever did was learn how to plunge Gem for the super secret unofficial skill-shot! I can hit it about 60% of the time now and its more valuable to me than the 1mil you get in the arcade scoop.

I have plunged GEM a few times. I need to work on getting that down better

Quoted from Legacy:

The gem shot is relatively hard to hit if you focus on it, but relatively easy to achieve during game play.

I agree with Legacy. If you focus on the shot, it seem very hard. When I am just playing I seem to hit it a good bit of the time.

#40 8 years ago

Simple question.......

Saw the back glass on TRON LE - very nice. Is the Pro exactly the same or not as good??

Thanks

#41 8 years ago

Only one way to play Tron:

1) Start drinking your favorite libation.

2) Turn on some Pink Floyd.

3) Turn down the volume on your game.

4) Press the start button....

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Simple question.......
Saw the back glass on TRON LE - very nice. Is the Pro exactly the same or not as good??
Thanks

I believe the back glass is the same on the LE and PRO.

#43 8 years ago

So many Tron thread ATM but I choose this one to ask my Tron question.

Is there any chance that Tron Pros will be able to be modded with the LE lighting and run the LE code in the future?

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Yeah,
Practice, practice, practice...
Seriously though,
If you can get your right ramp timing down no matter what the ball speed is, GEM will become that much easier to complete.
In a perfect world my first plunge would be right ramp, loop through pops, right ramp, loop through pops (again), right ramp and then slam it into the arcade for a nice EOL bonus. Then, I drop the bank, go for Quorra while trying for GEM (finishing off P-U-N-K, if that shot is too late), finish D-A-F-T and then collect the extra ball while simultaneously starting at least Quorra and possibly Lightcycle Multi at the same time.
Regardless of HOW you play, TRON is a great machine that still gets me amped after all of these months of ownership.
When you are on point, it makes for one hell of a ride.

Word.

#45 8 years ago

Chocky-Check the topics here and you will find tons of posts on adding the LE ramp wire to a Pro. I would guess that running the LE code is probably no but just an uneducated guess.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

So many Tron thread ATM but I choose this one to ask my Tron question.
Is there any chance that Tron Pros will be able to be modded with the LE lighting and run the LE code in the future?

There are many threads on lighting the ramps. The "closest" to the LE would be the project that ecurtz is working on I believe. (http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wthack-tron-pro-near-98501) There is no way to LE code on a PRO.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

Only one way to play Tron:
1) Start drinking your favorite libation.
2) Turn on some Pink Floyd.
3) Turn down the volume on your game.
4) Press the start button....

2 & 3 need to be altered to:

2) Turn room lighting down or off
3) Turn volume up on your TRON

Putting on Pink Floyd when you have daft punk to listen to? Insanity!!

#48 8 years ago

True. The sound is the best part by far. If David Thiel does as good a job on XMen as he did on Tron then we are in for a treat.

Shame we can't run the LE code on the Pro and sync our own ramp lights. It's almost worth losing a ball just to get the awesome light show.

#49 8 years ago

you got your answer :

GEM is the most difficult shot of the game, thats a fact

you can get it by "luck" when in multiballs (...)
or just with the rebound shot on T-R-O-N, which works very well (its harder on the LE of course, due to the drop targets position, well i suppose, i never played a PRO)

now, you can "love" your tron !!!

#50 8 years ago

Enough talk about GEM, so here are some other pointers:

- light cycle combo: L ramp, Quorra, R ramp. Get good at it. Love it. Need it on many different stages of the game (completing LCMB, Increasing EOL, spelling out DAft Punk, collecting 3 "safe" disc shots during DMB or during the disc stage of SOS)

- stacking LCMB & QMB: everyone realizes this is helpful and important, so here are three nuances on what not to do... (1) don't start QMB alone with CLU lit, as the CLU mode running will override any LC shots you're trying to hit to qualify LCMB during the QMB. (2) Don't start QMB with either of the LC orbit shots required to qualify LCMB, as the orbits won't register whenever you're in auto-save mode of QMB, which is quite frequent due to add-a-ball. (3) Have the # of Quorra shots left to qualify QMB down to two or less before starting LCMB, which drastically increases your chance of getting QMB qualified before you drain one of the balls in LCMB.

- if you've got three or more of the first mode inserts solid when SOS is ready to begin at the scoop, and if your next TRON award is double scoring, it's worth the risk to start double scoring, and double your beginning SOS bonus. My best ever is having all the way up through Disc solid, so my initial SOS bonus was 42MIL!!! just on the initial shot to the scoop.

- during SOS disc mode, don't forget that the disc shot spots your left-most disc insert. Very very helpful on the GEM disc insert, and also on the R orbit disc shot (less risk IMHO).

For advancing to Portal...
- try to complete LCMB before qualifying SOS: LCMB double super jackpot is much easier to get than having to complete all six shots in the pressure situation of SOS (GEM shot, too, of course).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside