Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by arolden
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Does anyone know of any posters showing the basics of how to play pinball? My location keeps getting asked questions like how to do a two player game. I reckon a simple poster covering off the basics would do down well.

Cheers

#2 7 years ago

I would totally go for a t shirt with print option like this by Ryan or one of our resident artists.

Cough ...

#3 7 years ago

I was thinking about putting a game on location, and something like this might help folks who never played before.

I was also thinking about a 30-60 intro video with possibly a QR code link.

#4 7 years ago

Hmm so if no one has one maybe we can use this thread to develop one. If nothing else comes along I will post some text for it and maybe some of you can have a play with it. Making it look good is not my strong point though! There is a need for something like this though. A lot of my customers have never put a coin in anything other than a vending machine before so it is all new to them.

ForceFlow, I have put links to videos up on a FB page I run. A few people look at them but they are the more dedicated people anyway. It is the person that walks in and really doesn't know anything I am targeting here so I want some basic info for them along with details on my FB page where they can get more information.

#5 7 years ago

Why not just encourage them to read the instruction card?
    (could leave a sticky note under the glass that reads) "press start button for number of players" 1-1, 2-2, etc.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

(could leave a sticky note under the glass that's reads) "press start button for number of players" 1-1, 2-2, etc.

You can put some things there too but the more you put the smaller the text. I am going to use this in a space where there are other things I want them to read to so I want a bit more space.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

(could leave a sticky note under the glass that reads) "press start button for number of players" 1-1, 2-2, etc.

I think you would be surprised at the lack of knowledge non-players have, many may not pay attention to an instruction card, but would notice a poster. Things like, what to do after you put your quarters in, and like OP said, how to play 2 players. For someone walking up to their first pinball machine, it can potentially be quite intimidating. Basic terminology, and basic tips like "shoot for the flashing shots" would be super helpful. Love this idea!

#8 7 years ago

I'm not against this idea and yes most of the general public aren't pinball savvy so a poster couldn't hurt.

#9 7 years ago

I learned really fast at about age 8 by reading the instruction cards. A adult who cant figure it out really has no business playing

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

I learned really fast at about age 8 by reading the instruction cards. A adult who cant figure it out really has no business playing

Nothing wrong with not knowing how to do something and if it brings new people in so much the better. I reckon it is harder for an adult as they think they should already know how!

I was looking at some tweets someone was making as they discovered WOZ just last night at my location. It was clear they had no clue what they were doing but you could see the progression as they started to get it. At the end they were setting up a return with friends so works for me!

I have started drafting up something. I will have a first pass on words in a day or two. I have too much written right now. I need to get rid of a lot of it.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Who says they're adults? Played at my favorite pizza place last week and there were 3 kids who had never seen pinball before. (The restaurant had just gotten two machines thanks to a pinsider op) They were mesmerized and asked tons of questions. Two were just tall enough to see the playfield and there was no way they were going to focus on the instruction cards with all of the flashing lights competing for their attention.

A poster would definitely have helped them not only start a game but eke out a few more moments of addictive fun.

If a poster helps adults learn to enjoy, so much the better. I got a lot more out the IMVE by watching the PAPA tutorial before I played. Nothing wrong with a little research or learning aide.

Any measure that brings more people into the hobby is fine by me.

#12 7 years ago

We are talking about a game that has 2 buttons to play, right?

#13 7 years ago

This is a brilliant idea; I've seen many people struggle with starting a game for the first time. Playing is another thing....

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from hassanchop:

We are talking about a game that has 2 buttons to play, right?

Three, sometimes five!

#15 7 years ago

People sometimes think that they paid for one game, but it has multiple players. They don't understand that multiple players mean $$ for each player. That might be good to note on the poster;

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

People sometimes think that they paid for one game, but it has multiple players. They don't understand that multiple players mean $$ for each player. That might be good to note on the poster;

Yep I see this happen all of the time. Or they are doing a multiplayer game and the fist person just keep on playing ball after ball.

2 months later
    #17 7 years ago

CLG,

How did you go with this? It would be great to see some photos!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-play-pinball-poster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.