(Topic ID: 26749)

how to opt out of ebay's new forced arbitration clause

By Pinball-is-great

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

al_bundy_gun_to_head.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Greetings Pinsiders,

Thought some of you that occasionally buy/sell items on ebay may want to know about how to opt out of the new forced arbitration clause in ebay's terms of service.

You need to send in a signed letter that contains certain info. Not a big deal, just a few steps.

A sample letter is available on Public Citizen website that you can easily modify to add your info.
    For additional details, see: www . citizen . org
    Then click on the ebay field that is shown on main page.

Also, there is a petition that you can sign online that is related to this and ebay anti-class action language in ebay's terms.

Fortunately, I have not had any major problems on ebay, but I have read some of other Pinsiders posts about some problems they have had with other buyers/sellers and/or w/ ebay. However, I am sending in a letter, and I signed the petition.

Regards,
    MLV

#2 11 years ago

I have stopped using ebay completely and do not miss it one bit.

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

I have stopped using ebay completely and do not miss it one bit.

Best option by far! Was a 10k + seller and gave it up after the "no leaving neg feedback for buyers" imbroglio. From what I understand, it got only worse from that point on. I've never looked back. Ebay was such a great concept when it was new, then they did everything-and I mean everything to self-sabotage themselves.
    Doc

#4 11 years ago

Glad I left eBay a long time ago.....

#5 11 years ago

I was thinking about it and my brother has been using eBay a lot with great success. On that note he is buying stuff that has not been targeted by scam scum yet. I will not post what he is dealing with so it does not poison that market. To be fair they have some usefulness but not for me.

I agree they keep getting worse the more I hear about the changes.

#6 11 years ago

In my opinion, it was when the unholy union between ebay & Paypal took place. That was the signal for the beginning of the end. IIRC, they forced the buyers to use Paypal for all transactions. Read: No Paypal account-not able to buy on ebay. In theory, I see why they did this but it was certainly not thought through enough. Thier claim was that this will weed out the scammers (it didn't) and give potential buyers more confidence to use ebay. Well, that part may be true, but what that did was scare the steady sellers like myself. Both Paypal & ebay sellers fees went through the roof. People started taking full advantage of the ill-conceived "Paypal Protection Plan" . I once sold a laptop-brand-new in box, unopened and got a notification that "item was not as described" from the buyer via Paypal. Fine-I told them to re-box it & ship it back for a full refund. Well, Paypal took it upon themselves to refund the money BEFORE I even got the laptop back. When I finally did, it was an entirely different computer, an old Dell from the late 90's. I was furious and contacted Paypal but since SOMETHING was shipped back to me they considered the matter closed. That was it. Closed Paypal and ebay and have relayed this story as a caveat to everyone who deals with these people. Beware.
    Doc

#7 11 years ago

What?

I think Epay and Paypunk is the best!!

Ken

al_bundy_gun_to_head.jpgal_bundy_gun_to_head.jpg

#8 11 years ago

Doc ,
    Same thing happened to me with a projector I sold on Ebay but i had insured so threw it down the steps and made an insurance claim lol. I always insure for replacement so i got my money back and then some in the end.
    But honestly Ive had rare 1 out of 150 transactions have problems other than that the ratio of smooth transactions has been pretty good.
    Its the nature of the beast i suppose.

#9 11 years ago

Could someone please explain in layman's terms what kind of crap ebay is trying to pull now, based on this thread?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-opt-out-of-ebays-new-forced-arbitration-clause and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.