(Topic ID: 282340)

How to open this molex

By ravve

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210104_102616 (resized).jpg
    20210104_102533 (resized).jpg
    20210104_102518 (resized).jpg
    20210104_102728 (resized).jpg
    20210104_102626 (resized).jpg
    20210104_102636 (resized).jpg
    20201125_114340 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Perhaps todays most stupid question, but how do I remove this connector from the header?

It can't be that I have to move all the black tabs backwards on the header, before I pull the white connector?
    Must be some easier way?

20201125_114340 (resized).jpg20201125_114340 (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

Yikes. I’m curious as well. Could you slip a credit card down the channel and gently move all the black tabs at once while you pull it out?

#3 3 years ago

Good question. I’ve run into those. Locking
    Tabs.

Pain in the ass and should be outlawed.

#4 3 years ago

Dont those black clips just hold it in place not lock it in place? perhaps work it from the side with a small driver or grab hard and wiggle while pulling.

#5 3 years ago

Do you have a vice? Clamp the pins and yank the white connector with pliers.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from ravve:

Perhaps todays most stupid question, but how do I remove this connector from the header?
    It can't be that I have to move all the black tabs backwards on the header, before I pull the white connector?
    Must be some easier way?
    [quoted image]

Get a putty knife and slide it down to release the tabs

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Get a putty knife and slide it down to release the tabs

That's what I do on stubborn connectors.

1 month later
    #8 3 years ago

Lol, sorry guys but I am still stuck with this problem. Tried a putty knife but no luck. Tried so hard that I managed to break one of the plastics...

Would be helpful to see a video of how to remove this. I can't even manage to do it on desk as the one in the picture, even harder with the ones already installed in machine.

#9 3 years ago

You have to release with a putty knife then sometimes use a screwdriver to lift up and away from the connector base, it is a 2 part process.

#10 3 years ago

Hair dryer? Maybe warm the plastic so it's a little more pliable.

#11 3 years ago

Unless it's being used in a high vibration environment (pinball doesn't qualify), break off all the black locking tabs. Don't need them.

#12 3 years ago

I'd start at one end and pry up using a screwdriver. It's far easier to overcome the locking tabs one at a time rather than the whole connector at once. You're trying to save both the header and housing? If I was still struggling with it after this much time, I would have just bought new ones.

#13 3 years ago

To clarify, these connectors I bought especially from a pinball store, so they are brand new and I am replacing the old IDC connectors/headers with these ones.
    Breaking of all the tabs is the best suggestion so far, but it feels really weird that it must be done.
    I will try to ask the store if they know a way...

#14 3 years ago

The pinball store shouldn't have pushed them together. They are two separate parts, and it should be up to the buyer (you) to use them.

Still, here is proof that a screwdriver will do it. Yours will be even easier since your empty housing won't have contact friction to fight you.

20210104_102518 (resized).jpg20210104_102518 (resized).jpg20210104_102533 (resized).jpg20210104_102533 (resized).jpg20210104_102616 (resized).jpg20210104_102616 (resized).jpg20210104_102626 (resized).jpg20210104_102626 (resized).jpg20210104_102636 (resized).jpg20210104_102636 (resized).jpg20210104_102728 (resized).jpg20210104_102728 (resized).jpg
    #15 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Unless it's being used in a high vibration environment (pinball doesn't qualify), break off all the black locking tabs. Don't need them.

This seems like a good suggestion. If it is this difficult to remove when it is not connected to anything, imagine how much more difficult it will be when it is actually attached to a board.

#16 3 years ago

I bet once they are apart once that it will get easier the next time. Get that screwdriver in there and separate them.

#17 3 years ago

Again, I need to clarify they DID come apart, it was me that put them together to test on bench, since I can't removw them while in machine.
    Just a screwdriver below and press up won't make it, the lock tabs needs to be pushed back at the same time.
    The pics from Herg don't show exact how to do this 2-step process, in my opinion (but thanks Herg anyway)

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from ravve:

Just a screwdriver below and press up won't make it, the lock tabs needs to be pushed back at the same time.

Sure it will. The lock tabs are flexible, and they have a ramp shape in both directions. When inserting or removing the connector the ramp on the connector presses against the ramp on the header and causes the header tabs to flex. This assumes enough removal force is being applied, which can be difficult, hence using the screwdriver to pry.

#19 3 years ago

If your connectors are so loose that they will slide apart without the benefit of locking tabs, then your electrical connection will be compromised already.

I don't think I've ever seen non-locking connectors come apart on their own on a pinball circuit board.

#20 3 years ago

Thank u everybody, I'll try with Hergs suggestion. If it won't work, I'll break all lock tabs and not buy lockable headers anymore in the future.
    Too bad I bought like 20 of them lol

#21 3 years ago

I can see where this would be aggravating with loose parts. But aren't they normally easier to separate when the male connector is installed on the board, and the board installed - or in other words, fastened, or anchored - to the machine (or workbench, or whatever)? In that way the black header will be anchored by hundreds of pounds, so all your removal effort & force would apply to the white connector instead of displacing the black one with it, so you would have an easier time.

Moral being: you can probably still use the connectors, so long as you don't connect them "outside" the machine.

But stuck as you are with them loose, you may have to clamp just the base of the male part as hard as you can in a toothed vise to simulate the "machine anchor", then pry the female portion with a screwdriver.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-open-this-molex?hl=jethrop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.