Topic Stats

• 411 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    5AFE3629-01B9-4DE5-AFCD-09F50C55E730 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Airplane is awesome.gif
    wrong-end-badly (resized).jpg
    Borealis_(resized).jpg
    56404269-_(resized).jpg
    patrick.png
    phantasm_ii__span.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Beware of con artists Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #2 Checks take 3-4 weeks to clear Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #3 PayPal caveats, loopholes, and scams Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #4 Money wire scams Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #5 Postal money order scams Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #6 PayPal local pick-up scams Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #7 Use an Internet Escrow Service Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #8 Photos & proof of game condition Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #126 Tips on detecting a scam Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #345 How to not get ripped off when listing a game for sale Posted by vid1900 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toddsvec.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

There is a Federal Law that states that banks have to make deposited funds available to you in 48 hours (with a few exceptions).

That does not mean that the funds have cleared!

Funds Available ≠ Funds Cleared <------- These are two totally different things!!!!!!

I've been of the opinion at least for the last 10 years that the banks are the problem, and they don't care. I believe they have the ability to stop MUCH of the fraud that occurs, but they choose not to, because then they won't be able to charge you "service fees". I would guess there are more credit cards in the world than checking accounts, and with today's modern technology, when you transact on a credit or debit card, it's near instant. If I make a charge and don't have the balance, it's rejected in most cases. The fact that banks can't do this with checks is just a laugh. The fact it can takes weeks is more of a joke. It's all electronic, now a days when you write a check, they scan it and hand it back to you. I can scan with my phone and deposit without ever going to the bank. The can validate funds and transfer money when you want to do it instantly, like when you transfer funds for a home sale, and I can access my account from anywhere in the world to check my balance, so I think they can too.

How would it help "the bank" by turning away phoney checks? It won't, in their eyes, but hey, if they can charge you all sorts of service fees and act like a phony check is a new thing, why not make some money? This is a bit of a rant on banks, sorry Vid1900. Banks can be, in my opinion, crooks. Many don't know this, but up until a few years ago, large banks like Chase and Bank Of America would actually REOPEN your closed account, without your permission and then charge you service fees when there would be activity on that account you may have forgotten about, like say you forgot to change an automatic magazine renewal. so they would reopen your account, pay the magazine subscription for you, charge you a $50 service overdraft fee, then charge you another fee for not having a minimum balance! And some even charge you a fee for reopening the account!

But good advice Vid, thanks for posting.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toddsvec.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide?tu=toddsvec and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.