Topic Stats

• 411 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    5AFE3629-01B9-4DE5-AFCD-09F50C55E730 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Airplane is awesome.gif
    wrong-end-badly (resized).jpg
    Borealis_(resized).jpg
    56404269-_(resized).jpg
    patrick.png
    phantasm_ii__span.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Beware of con artists Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #2 Checks take 3-4 weeks to clear Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #3 PayPal caveats, loopholes, and scams Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #4 Money wire scams Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #5 Postal money order scams Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #6 PayPal local pick-up scams Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #7 Use an Internet Escrow Service Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #8 Photos & proof of game condition Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #126 Tips on detecting a scam Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #345 How to not get ripped off when listing a game for sale Posted by vid1900 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider YeOldPinPlayer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#277 7 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Have a long distance buyer for my fish tales who seems legit, but he wants to pay via PayPal gift and have someone pick it up for him. It's not a Nigerian scam so let's not go there. Guy has been on pinside a while and has ties to the industry. I'm just not comfortable with PayPal and am insisting on cash or a bank wire. Am I making the purchase a hassle? I feel a wire transfer is a simple 5 minute thing to do. What would you do?

The person who picks it up pays you in cash. Pretty simple. Buyer is already trusting the shipper with the game.

#282 7 years ago
    Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Another test case. Cashier's check in my name from a Wells Fargo in another US state- deposited by my buyer into my Chase bank account. I get a picture of the check and the deposit slip into my account. I call the number on the bottom left and reach Wells Fargo's automated validation number. I press multiple prompts and get to a person who verifies the check is legit and in process. After the funds are available- on Wednesday, presumably- when can I say I'm legitimately in the clear? Would a visit to a local Wells Fargo branch conclude 100% the funds have been actually transferred and not subject to charge-back?

If you're going to visit a Wells Fargo just cash the check at Wells Fargo and deposit the cash in your account at Chase.

The scenario you describe is best answered by a bank employee. If that employee has zero accountability they may not be motivated to provide the correct information.

If I absolutely had to take a cashier's check I would go to MY bank and get the details in writing by someone you trust or at least someone who has authority and accountability at the bank.

7 months later
    #317 6 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

...if the current war on cash comes to fruition like it has in other countries and cash sales over X amount are banned?? ...it already has in several other countries.

What countries and amounts?

#321 6 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

According to various articles on the net:
    Italy banned cash transactions above 1000 euros

Partially true. PM "emergency declaration" in 2011 but law never passed by their parliament and not currently in effect as far as I could tell.

Quoted from sbmania:

Spain above 2500 euros

Infowars isn't a legitimate news source. I could find nothing to substantiate your claim.

Quoted from sbmania:

France is contemplating a law to ban cash transactions above 1000 euros

Source please. Contemplating a ban isn't the same as banned. Please tell me you aren't referring to http://govtslaves.info/france-bans-use-of-cash-for-more-than-e1000-1060 as a reliable source of information.

Quoted from sbmania:

India has banned 100 and 50 rupee notes, making large cash transactions difficult, and forcing everyone who was holding those notes to turn them in and convert them to smaller bills or deposit them

Partially true. Cash wasn't banned, the 500 & 1000 rupee notes are no longer legal tender. There was a temporary shortage of smaller notes as people exchanged their large notes.

Quoted from sbmania:

Norway, Sweden and Denmark are said to be moving to a total cashless society

We have Pinsiders from the Netherlands, ask them. robin ? Are you permitted to use cash? Please cite a source for a cash ban other than at prisons for Norway, Sweden, or Denmark.

Quoted from sbmania:

Greece is limiting cash withdrawals from banks and ATMs to 420 euros per week.

Not a ban on cash. Source please.

1 year later
    #357 5 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

I write the check to the seller, he cashes it on the spot, I get the title.

Why not write it to cash, cash it yourself, and hand the seller the cash? Do it in the bank lobby if safety is a concern. No reason for seller to deal with your check at all.

6 months later
    #373 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Is it any better/worse than paypal as far as risks and things that can go wrong?

Enroll with the Zelle® App Using Your Online Banking Username & Password

https://www.zellepay.com/link
    "Some banks let you enroll with the Zelle app using your online banking username and password. If your bank supports this feature, it’s an easy way to link your bank account."

Can you think of anything that could go wrong giving a third party direct access to your bank account?

#378 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

You seem to be misinformed as to how Zelle works

Zelle seems to be misinformed, the quote is directly from their FAQ. Take it up with Zelle.

Banks have screwed their customers tens of thousands of different ways and over the years have become fairly well regulated. If they screw up you typically are not responsible.

Most 'new' forms of payment are comparatively unregulated. You have only the word of a company with no track record and no obligation to fix their own screw-ups.

Let's walk through this process you describe together to assess the potential pitfalls.

Quoted from HighVoltage:

I have an email address associated with my bank account.

So to transact, three entities need your email address. Chase, Zelle, the person you're doing business with.

Quoted from HighVoltage:

I give a buyer my email address, and they send me the money specifying my email address.

PITFALL ALERT: Zelle and Chase have a relationship. The details of that relationship are somewhere in the terms of service (that you probably agreed to) for Chase or Zelle. If you want to know what risks you're taking and what protections you have you better find, read, and understand them.

#380 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Who said anything about Zelle Mobile or third-party apps?

I don't use any apps, haven't given any third-party access.

Zelle is a third party with access to your bank account.
    You and your bank are the first two.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider YeOldPinPlayer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide?tu=YeOldPinPlayer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.