Topic Stats

• 411 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    5AFE3629-01B9-4DE5-AFCD-09F50C55E730 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Airplane is awesome.gif
    wrong-end-badly (resized).jpg
    Borealis_(resized).jpg
    56404269-_(resized).jpg
    patrick.png
    phantasm_ii__span.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Beware of con artists Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #2 Checks take 3-4 weeks to clear Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #3 PayPal caveats, loopholes, and scams Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #4 Money wire scams Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #5 Postal money order scams Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #6 PayPal local pick-up scams Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #7 Use an Internet Escrow Service Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #8 Photos & proof of game condition Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #126 Tips on detecting a scam Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #345 How to not get ripped off when listing a game for sale Posted by vid1900 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tickerguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#212 7 years ago

In other words, yes, but be aware of all of the following.

If you get a cashier's check and you go into the issuing bank they can and will verify it. SOME banks will not cash them for non-customers, however, although in theory that's not supposed to happen because a Cashier's Check is, as the name implies, supposed to be negotiable as cash.

Under the UCC (https://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/3/3-412) the issuer is obligated to pay a cashier's check according to the terms provided to the drawer at the time it was issued, which MAY include a regulation CC hold (one business day.) In practice, however, at the issuing bank they are payable immediately in cash since they can be immediately verified as good.

Note that this assumes the bank has the funds in cash; many branches do not have more than a couple of thousand available for such a transaction "on demand."

In addition, and this is *very* important, if the face amount is over $10,000 in the United States it is a reportable transaction (to the government via a CTR) and the bank will file the requisite form with the government, including your identification. This *may* increase your tax audit risk materially. Do NOT attempt to get around CTR filing by using multiple checks or other instruments; the bank is very likely to detect it and it is a specific *crime* to attempt evading reporting requirements, whether you succeed or not.

#215 7 years ago
    Quoted from swanng:

Cash, split between family members, deposited in multiple accounts at different banks. That's the way to do it.

NO! NEVER, EVER do that.

That's not "technically" structuring, it IS structuring and is a CRIME.

While the odds are not high on getting caught if you do you're asking to have the entirety of the funds seized and you will LOSE if you challenge it, even though the underlying transaction was perfectly legal.

If you have a transaction that exceeds reporting limits ($10k) then just do it and accept that a CTR will be filed. It's ok. Worst case you get to explain it to an IRS auditor. Trying to evade reporting limits is not only a bad idea it can get you criminally charged and the funds seized even if what you were doing is perfectly legal (and buying or a selling pinball machine is certainly legal -- unless you stole it, of course!)

1 month later
    #261 7 years ago

Yep. Nobody in their right mind will send money to someone other than a family member (who you are damn sure you want to have the money) using WU though

#264 7 years ago

You don't *have* to use PayPal to take payment.

3 months later
    #287 7 years ago
    Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Another test case. Cashier's check in my name from a Wells Fargo in another US state- deposited by my buyer into my Chase bank account. I get a picture of the check and the deposit slip into my account. I call the number on the bottom left and reach Wells Fargo's automated validation number. I press multiple prompts and get to a person who verifies the check is legit and in process. After the funds are available- on Wednesday, presumably- when can I say I'm legitimately in the clear? Would a visit to a local Wells Fargo branch conclude 100% the funds have been actually transferred and not subject to charge-back?
    I've had phone conversations and texts with the buyer- every indication a true gentleman and a fellow pinhead in every sense of the word. Just want to be fully sure no surprises at this point, especially since I originally insisted on a wire- but in the end he opted on his own for the Cashiers to save the $50 wire fee.

My protocol for a cashier's check works like this.

1. Buyer has to have a branch of his bank within a reasonable distance of me and my bank.

2. We go to HIS bank together and I *watch him* get the cashier's check. They deduct the funds from HIS account on the spot.

3. We take said check to MY bank. I ask them for immediate funds availability, and THEY confirm the check is good. This results in the funds having *no* hold at my bank (yes, even if it's for something big like a car or boat!)

4. I give him a *notarized* bill of sale (two copies), and it is notarized at *my* bank. This requires the BUYER to produce identification at my bank so the notary can stamp it. I now have positive identification, he has a bill of sale, and I have money. The property can now change hands.

Is it POSSIBLE for him to try to stop the cashier's check in this instance? Yes, but it's (1) difficult, as his bank KNOWS it has been cashed and cleared, and they verified it and (2) BOTH institutions saw BOTH of us and have us BOTH on video and (3) I have *POSITIVE* identification on the buyer, confirmed by a notary who stamped the copy of the bill of sale that I have retained. If he tries it my next act is to send the Sheriff over to explain the words "Grand Theft" to him.

Wires are safer but the fees are higher. Most banks will issue a cashier's check for $5 or $10; wire fees are frequently in the $25 range and some banks charge to *receive* wires (which is a rather jackass charge, but some do it.)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tickerguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide?tu=Tickerguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.