Topic Stats

• 411 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    5AFE3629-01B9-4DE5-AFCD-09F50C55E730 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Airplane is awesome.gif
    wrong-end-badly (resized).jpg
    Borealis_(resized).jpg
    56404269-_(resized).jpg
    patrick.png
    phantasm_ii__span.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Beware of con artists Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #2 Checks take 3-4 weeks to clear Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #3 PayPal caveats, loopholes, and scams Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #4 Money wire scams Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #5 Postal money order scams Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #6 PayPal local pick-up scams Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #7 Use an Internet Escrow Service Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #8 Photos & proof of game condition Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #126 Tips on detecting a scam Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #345 How to not get ripped off when listing a game for sale Posted by vid1900 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SadSack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#112 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Couldn't care less about my credit score as I'm done financing stuff at this stage in my life. Buy auto insurance for a month and then let it lapse. Just enought to register a car for a year. Figure you get pulled over once a year for speeding or something so the no insurance ticket is $350.00 (not that I know anything about this) which is still way less than even basic liability insurance that I only carry.
    I was hit in WisCONsin awhile back stopped for a traffic jam on a freeway. Car behind me stopped too. Car comes from behind and slams into him, he hits me and pushes me into the car in front. My car, a rental, was driveable. Within a few days I got six letters from attorneys. One advised me (and the other two parties with damaged cars) that the one who caused it, a 20 YO chick, had no insurance or money so don't bother suing her, the others all wanted to represent me to sue her anyway for damages.
    I was on COmpaNy bidness, we are self-insured, my cost center had to pay the $4500 to fix my rental even though I was in no way at fault. Another reason not to waste money on insurance. Even if I was in a personal car with coverage, I may have to pay a deductible. Insurance COmpaNies usually go after the other insurance COmpaNy to get the deductible or sue the at fault driver if uninsured.

By paying for the rental with the right business credit card, you would have been fully insured. But since you "don't need the credit", I'm sure you didn't have one of those cards.

Credit is a tool. It can be used for good or bad.

5 months later
    #183 9 years ago

It's pretty easy to make a call to the issuing bank to verify if a cashier's check is legit. But I'd rather send US Postal Service Money Orders by mail so I can sick the postmaster after the seller if he tries to be shifty.

When I buy or sell to anyone who can't deal with credit cards, I insist on USPS Money Orders sent by US mail if I am buying or selling. Mail fraud is a very big deal. That's why all the money order scammers send by UPS or Fedex.

1 year later
    #267 7 years ago

Pinball dealers don't "sell" on ebay. They advertise on ebay.

3 months later
    #291 7 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

My feeling exactly. Wire transfer, cash or nothing. Makes me suspicious if people only want to pay via paypal. Buyer can transfer funds from paypal to their bank, then initiate a wire transfer, very simple.

People demand paypal because they want to use a credit card to buy. Any time you take payment via credit card (paypal, square, etc.), you are subject to a charge back.

If someone needs to use a credit card, they can do a cash advance at their own bank and deposit the cash in your bank. Now this opens them up for the loss, not you.

6 months later
    #301 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Nope.
    They are never written out to a bank you have local access to.
    They are always written on a far away bank with a real sounding name, or a "Morgan Stanly" account with international routing numbers.
    The international routing numbers keep the check bouncing around until weeks latter you get it back stamped AIFI

That's the reason to call the issuing bank and check if it's a fake. Cashier's checks are gold to me. It only takes one call during business hours to verify them.

#303 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Just like with the fake Escrow websites, the scammers already have the phone lines manned and ready for your call.
    They are miles ahead of you.

Please do not suggest that I'm incapable of validating not only the check, but the bank itself. This stuff isn't rocket science. Perhaps you are confusing bank drafts with money orders. There is a big, big difference.

3 weeks later
    #309 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinden007:

Will a bank tell you when the funds are good 3 or 4 weeks later? At what point can you be sure the funds were good?

before you deposit the check, you can check with the bank the funds are drawn on. It it's just a money order, you're probably out of luck and will have to wait at least 5 business days or more. That's why a bank check is something more than a money order. Often you can also check money orders, but a lot you cannot. I also like having customers deposit funds directly into my account at their local branch of my bank.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SadSack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide?tu=SadSack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.