Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo 1 (3).JPG
photo 2 (3).JPG
#1 9 years ago

My space shuttle has a good bit of wear above the rollovers and around the pops. What's a no harm technique for reducing continued wear? I've waxed it and am just curious if there's anything to be done that doesn't involve major restoration or putting something over the worn areas that can't be easily removed.

photo 1 (3).JPGphoto 1 (3).JPG photo 2 (3).JPGphoto 2 (3).JPG
#2 9 years ago

Normally I'd say either lay down some wax and then install pop bumper mylar or use static cling vinyl, but in this case I don't think the static cling stuff would work well with the damage.

#3 9 years ago

Wax it then install Mylar.

The wax will allow it to come up easily in the future.

#4 9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I was worried that Mylar would just be a mess to remove but if a good coat of wax will keep it from pulling up paint along with the Mylar then that's what I'll do.

#5 9 years ago

If the paint has turned to flaky chalk, nothing will save it.

But if it is solid, then they Mylar can protect it.

Might be a good time to rebuild your pop bumpers for max performance at the same time.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-rebuilding-pop-bumpers

#6 9 years ago

I would say to buy a playfield protector, but I don't think one is made for Space Shuttle yet...

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I would say to buy a playfield protector, but I don't think one is made for Space Shuttle yet...

They probably don't make one because the shuttle is already 1mm away from touching the glass, LOL.

#8 9 years ago

Yeah, I just checked Marco and they have a full Mylar for space station but not space shuttle. Weird. So, if I put a Mylar piece above the rollovers what is the right shape for the piece of Mylar? Should I get one of those half-circles and put the flat side up closest to the metal?

#9 9 years ago

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/66-MFT

Buy it by the foot instead of little shapes.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Piparoo:

Yeah, I just checked Marco and they have a full Mylar for Space Station but not Space Shuttle. Weird. So, if I put a Mylar piece above the rollovers what is the right shape for the piece of Mylar? Should I get one of those half-circles and put the flat side up closest to the metal?

Cut your own. Take a piece of tracing paper and lay it there and trace out a shape that covers the damage. Turn it over on the back side of the mylar and trace around it with a pen. Cut it out. Without touching the sticky side, peel back a 1/4 inch of the backing. An exacto works well. With the backing folded under, holding the exposed sticky off the field, position the mylar into place. Once in place, tap down on the exposed sticky to nail it down. Then fold it over, grab the backing and peel it away while gently pressing it into place. Rub out the tiny air pockets with the back of your fingernail.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Cut your own. Take a piece of tracing paper and lay it there and trace out a shape that covers the damage. Turn it over on the back side of the mylar and trace around it with a pen. Cut it out. Without touching the sticky side, peel back a 1/4 inch of the backing. An exacto works well. With the backing folded under, holding the exposed sticky off the field, position the mylar into place. Once in place, tap down on the exposed sticky to nail it down. Then fold it over, grab the backing and peel it away while gently pressing it into place. Rub out the tiny air pockets with the back of your fingernail.

Thanks for this. Is it best to cut the shapes so they have rounded edges? It seems like shapes with round edges will be less likely to lift at the edges.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Piparoo:

Thanks for this. Is it best to cut the shapes so they have rounded edges? It seems like shapes with round edges will be less likely to lift at the edges.

Yes. And don't let the edge get under any posts...it'll wrinkle. Do a little touch up if you think you want to improve the cosmetics any. You can't after it's down.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-minimize-further-playfield-wear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.