Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by tomdrum
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PF4 (resized).JPG
    PF2 (resized).JPG
    BLANKET (resized).png
    PF1 (resized).JPG
    PF (resized).JPG
    #1 2 years ago

After hauling home dozens of project games over the last 20 years, today was a 1st. I picked up a Gottlieb Pro Football that was unmolested in a heated garage for the last 40 years. The flipper rubbers which are likely OE were broken and touching the PF. After a 1.5 hour drive home in 85 degree heat and sun they melted on the PF when I got home. I sure the PF glass increased the heat. Quite the mess.

I'm hoping either careful use of a heat gun or freeze spray will remove the residue without PF ink damage.

Never again. I will pull every flipper rubber in high heat.

PF (resized).JPGPF (resized).JPGPF1 (resized).JPGPF1 (resized).JPG
    #2 2 years ago

Never move a game with out one covering the glass. I have warped way to many plastics and ramps.

BLANKET (resized).pngBLANKET (resized).png
    #3 2 years ago

Goo Gone may help. Good luck

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Never again. I will pull every flipper rubber in high heat.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Or you could just cover the game with a blanket so it’s not in direct sunlight.

Honestly if that’s the worst that happened you’re pretty lucky.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gotemwill:

Honestly if that’s the worst that happened you’re pretty lucky.

Hardly. This is a 4 on the scale of the worst. It's fixable.

#6 2 years ago

The result of 48 year old flipper rubber hitting the sun and heat.

#7 2 years ago

I've had a few games with the rubbers melted like that (never happened while I had one though). I could never get it off completely and some had stained the playfield

#8 2 years ago

I faced this recently and could not remove it all the way without tearing up the original paint.
    Perhaps someone knows a secret.

#9 2 years ago

I used a plastic razor blade and most came off, chipped right off leaving minimal residue. Thank God.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

The result of 48 year old flipper rubber hitting the sun and heat.

Wow - i’ve seen em melt but never like that! Wild

#11 2 years ago

If you don't have a blanket you can take the Playfield glass out and put some newspaper or cardboard over the Playfield to protect it, then replace the glass

#12 2 years ago

It's as if the rubber got nostalgic and reverted back to when it was just some yellow chemical goop inside a vat in the rubber ring factory.

#13 2 years ago

Removal process was plastic razor blade, got the heavy stuff off. Freeze spray and plastic razor blade got it down to just remnants, fingernail would chip off more. I then finished if off with Novus II. Before and after.

PF2 (resized).JPGPF2 (resized).JPGPF4 (resized).JPGPF4 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-melt-flipper-rubbers-and-ruin-your-day and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.