By TheRingMaster

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi!

I am going to measure the volts coming out of the transformer in my BoP. I first thought that i would just measure like "normal". One DMM "pin" at one wire and the other DMM pin at ground. For example the ground strap in the cab. However, when reading some more I have seen posts here and there saying that such an approach would not give any good results. Instead one should measure "across the transformer".

Question is, what does that mean and how do I do it? Is there some special ground on the transformer or what?

Andy

#2 10 years ago

Easiest way to measure what is coming from the transformer is at the connector pins coming out from the transformer leads that connect to the connectors going to the backbox. This is AC power and will need to be measured from common, not from ground. So, you need to measure across two AC voltages of the same rating. Check your manual to see which leads should be what VAC.

#3 10 years ago

Ok.. I am doing the measuring to see if the transformer is OK and if the harness is ok. So I would like to rule out the wires going up to the connectors at the board. Just measure the transformer "clean" so to speak. The reason is that i have not been able to find any good volts at the J101 and J102 connectors...

So as you wrote, the transformer has its own connector where the wires goes from up to the back box. I was planing to measure at that connector (disconnect it and measure in it).

And as I understand it (from your answer) I should measure between two wires down there (like i would at the connector in the bb). For example there are two red wires from this transformer connector and two wires that are blue/white etc. Would it be a good idea to measure with one DMM pin at one red wire and the other at the other red wire? And then repeat the step for the other wires, for example one pin at one blue/white and the other pin at the other blue/white and so on? =)

Of course i will check the schematics before that to see it the blue/whites are the same circuit, the two reds another same circuit etc. But in theory, is that correct?

Andy

#4 10 years ago

First off, be careful around the AC voltage. But, yes, there should be wires going from the transformer to a interconnect connector that runs up to the back box and to all the board connectors. If you disconnect that connector in the cabinet when the game is off, cut the game on and measure from the leads of the connector from the transformer, that will give you a reading of the transformer's output voltage from the connector.

By common, that means measuring from two of the same AC voltages. So, on your schematics, if you see two wires should both in proper operation be putting out 25VAC, put your DMM to volts - AC setting and measure between the two supposed 25VAC lines. If you get ~25VAC, your transformer is outputting to proper spec. If not, you may have a problem with your AC output from the transformer.

Be aware though that a failed transformer is very uncommon. It can happen, but I would be willing to bet the issue is probably not that far back.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from TheRingMaster:

Of course i will check the schematics before that to see it the blue/whites are the same circuit, the two reds another same circuit etc. But in theory, is that correct?

Yes, but I never trust wire colors. At its simplest form, the transformer will be =3E= with the mains on one side, and the transformed voltage on the other. You should be able to trace from the power cord to the transformer, and measure across the wired lugs on the opposite side.

If you see a voltage that is half or double what you expect, you're likely measuring the wrong connectors

#6 10 years ago

Thanks a lot for clearifying this!

I will do it together with an electrician who is a friend of mine. Would be unwise to try myself before i get any more knowledge and skill.

Its my first pin restoration project so i thought id do the measuring from start at the wall socket, to finish, power driver board output connectors to pin point the problem. The machine is not booting as for now and according to the leds and test points on the power driver board it lacks +5VDC.

After i know if the transformer and wires up to the board are ok i can continue searching for the problem on the board. Probably the same as whith reset issues so with some reading in the guides at for example pinwiki it should be able able to fix! =)

Thanks a lot!

#7 10 years ago

Noahs_Arcade:
Thats interesting.. when we measured at the J101 and J102 connectors we found that the voltage was indeed half of what was expected! But we measured from one pin to GROUND (strap in BB) then. Maybe that explains it!

Will do it again across the wires and see what happens!

/ Andy

#8 10 years ago

But we measured from one pin to GROUND

Yeah, there's no GND in AC. Let us know what your new measurements are.

#9 10 years ago

we measured from one pin to GROUND

This is an earth ground which makes electronics a bit safer for us humans. AC electronics see the applied voltage the same, regardless of that ground (think: reference) point.

#10 10 years ago

Allright! I Will try measuring tomorrow then ill report back! The AC is alternating and the DC direct... So the + and - so to speak does alternate between each wire i guess? While the DC just goes from A to B all the time. In AC there is no + and - if i remember things right. Well i might read up a bit =) anyway, ill try and see what i get tomorrow!

#11 10 years ago

I will try to keep this problem in the main thread here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-power-when-powering-on-need-some-directions-to-start-in

Have a look there for the measured results!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 27.95
$ 9.99
$ 9.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Albany, NY
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 9.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-measure-volts-on-the-transformer?hl=cusanus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.