(Topic ID: 243043)

How to match faded off-white color when painting cabinet?

By swampwiz

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Here's my situation. I have a Williams Apollo in which one side is original and in great condition; however, the other side has been completely repainted in blank white, a stronger white than is on the original side. The front also has a little repainting and of course some some flaking here & there. I should also say that this pin will be in a tight lineup, so the side currently repainted in blank white will only be visible at a high angle, and without much light.

There is a simple solution, and that would be to simply repaint everything; I think it is possible to get a stencil. However, I don't feel like spending the money or time to do that (I am not a stickler on cabinet restoration, and can live with an original cabinet fading), and I especially don't want to ruin the good original side. And I think I will take the opportunity to put a different design on the right side - a rough mosaic of the actual Apollo spacecraft in the same orange & blue color scheme - or maybe I'll just crib it from the other side, although there are a lot of round figures (not sure if they are perfectly round).

So, since I don't want to disturb the original side, I will need to use an off-white to repaint the front and the to-be-painted side. I don't see a problem getting such an off-white that is close enough (because the front & side are at different angles, they will look slightly off even if painted with the same paint), but I am wondering about is if the off-white paint will fade to become an even more off-white paint. Perhaps this is anecdotal, but in the 90s, I painted a cabinet in pure white, and it hasn't faded at all; maybe the quality of paint in the 60s was worse than that in the 90s & now?

I welcome any suggestions.

#2 4 years ago

You said it yourself: "There is a simple solution, and that would be to simply repaint everything"

You will spend more time and effort trying to get something to match 50 year old paint (which will never 100% match) than to just redo the whole thing......

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

You said it yourself: "There is a simple solution, and that would be to simply repaint everything"
    You will spend more time and effort trying to get something to match 50 year old paint (which will never 100% match) than to just redo the whole thing......

It's a "simple" solution, but would take a lot more work & cash, and ruin the original side that is in really good condition. If that side were not in good shape, sure, I'd redo everything. And as I've said, the other paint would be on other faces, so it doesn't share any space.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-match-faded-off-white-color-when-painting-cabinet?hl=aukraut and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.