Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2016-08-13 18.45.34 (resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fortytwo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hello
I am making a interactive topper for ghostbusters I have on order. I plan on powering it with an external supply. Think I need a way to get a signal from the game to fire relays for the different lights.
What is the best/safest way to get signals from the game. One way I thought was build an optical coupler into the light lines. Or just use the signal voltage.
Is there something on the market.
Does stern sell a node board with outputs one can use? It would be easy for them to sell one.
Thanks
Fortytwo.

#4 7 years ago

I have ordered a Adriano relay board from Amazon. 8 relays optically coupled high load switchable. For the 10 bucks I figure why not. I do like your option with sensors. Didn't even think of that.
Another thought I had (pending actual game coming) was to buy a node board for switch and lights. Program it to the same ID and hook the relay board to those contacts. Cost and final design is a big factor here.
Fortytwo.

#5 7 years ago

Lightbar is almost done. I'm short two LED bulbs that we're back ordered.
This video shows everything on and going. It will be more impressive when things are turns on and off.
All 4 reds tied together. - containment unit flashers
Outside rotators - multiball
Inside rotators - multiball
Green moving corners. - slimer
Front left purple and back right green - a flasher
Front right purple and back left green - another flasher

Now I wait for the bulbs and the game to figure out tie in.
Fortytwo.

#6 7 years ago

I got a optical isolated input relay board today in the mail. $10. You can even isolate the relay voltage if you want to.
This fires when the input is pulled low. No input is off high is off. I figured I can tie it into he light and when the transistor pulls he led on (low) it would turn on the light. Of course having the game and a manual would help.
Fortytwo.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

2 months later
#9 7 years ago

Keep me in the loop here. I wouldnt mind seeing a schmatic once you got it going. I have accidently ordered a spare relay board. ill have to use it on another game. The only negative i can come up with is, the relay board fires based on a low signal. So i would need to design the photo resistor to pull it down rather than up. I might need a central board to connect the photos to and then translate up to the relay board.
I do have mine mounted in the bar along with the power supply. For the signal cable to it i used cat 5 since its cheap for a 8 conductor and i have ends readily avalible. I Must label it to NOT BE SPIKE, just in case.
I wish Stern put a mounting bar in the head for us to add boards as needed without drilling new holes.

BTW still waiting for my GB Prem.
FortyTwo

#10 7 years ago

updated video, FWIW

1 month later
#12 7 years ago

Looks good.
Do you have a schmatic? What photo resistors are you using. Does this give a high or low output when triggered? I'm hopefully getting my game soon and will be rushing to get this mod built to tie in my topper. Has been sitting for months.
Thanks
Fortytwo.

1 month later
#14 7 years ago

My topper works without any additional translation boards. The relay board requiring the low is the same signal given to the lights by the nodes. And since its low amperage. Just sense it's relatively safe.
I tapped into the 5v going to the display to keep that out of the cabinet. This is for reference of the relay board. Actually fired the relays. I'm using 6 signals due to wiring restrictions. And think any more would be busy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.95
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

15,699 (OBO)
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fortytwo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-make-spike-mods-that-are-interactive?tu=Fortytwo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.