(Topic ID: 103768)

How to make scared stiff a harder game? No pun intended!

By dannunz

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by starbase
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I really like the total look of the game. The sound is awesome. The multiball is very cool. But when I play it the games seem to go on forever. Is there any way to make it harder? Maybe increase the pitch....add lightning flippers....open up the out lanes full?

#2 9 years ago

I suggest some sort of adjustable crate bracket mod to reduce the size of the opening. Envision prison bars. If you could make it the size of the openings on Dr Who for instance, it would definitely make the machine more challenging.

He'll, that thing is looser than....

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

I suggest some sort of adjustable crate bracket mod to reduce the size of the opening. Envision prison bars. If you could make it the size of the openings on Dr Who for instance, it would definitely make the machine more challenging.
He'll, that thing is looser than....

Interesting idea!

#4 9 years ago

How easy is it for you to complete the Spider wheel and get to the wizard mode?

#5 9 years ago

The spider wheel is very difficult yes. But a lot of people don't consider that the wizard mode correct?

#6 9 years ago

I'd liken that to not thinking Valinor is the wizard mode on LotR, and thinking that Destroy the Ring is.

When I owned SS, the ultimate goal was to complete the Spider Wheel for Spider multiball. I only saw it once.

1 week later
#8 9 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

The spider wheel is very difficult yes. But a lot of people don't consider that the wizard mode correct?

Getting Scared Stiff (completing all six modes) is NOT the wizard mode. Getting Spider Multiball is.

I've owned SS for *many* years and only gotten Spider Multiball legitimately once or twice.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

I'd liken that to not thinking Valinor is the wizard mode on LotR, and thinking that Destroy the Ring is.
When I owned SS, the ultimate goal was to complete the Spider Wheel for Spider multiball. I only saw it once.

In the true definition of the word 'ultimate' I disagree because the finale is unquestionably the completion of the Stiff-o-Meter for Monster Multiball.

In the common use of the word 'ultimate' meaning 'superior' or, in this case 'most difficult or elusive' then you're correct, completing the Spider Wheel is the toughest goal.

However completing the Spider Wheel doesn't require you to 'play the game'. It only uses two playfield shots.

I agree that lightning flippers are a good way to make the game tougher (a location SS I've played a lot has lightning flips and it is definitely tougher). Also adjust the slingshots so they're on hair triggers.

Having not owned SS I don't know what operator adjustments there are to add to the difficulty.

#10 9 years ago

Turn off extra balls.

#11 9 years ago

Do you guys have the pitch set around 7% or higher? Out lanes wide open?

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Do you guys have the pitch set around 7% or higher? Out lanes wide open?

Dan...are you trying to make the games shorter?

I agree with what other people have said...you can complete many modes of the game, but nailing the ultimate grail...it's not a quick thing.

So if you want to just make it have shorter ball times, jack the back legs up on blocks and go to town...but you can't ask about making it harder until you've legitimately finished it!

#13 9 years ago

Every game I play I seem to get to the stiff omeater. I don't always get to the top but it seems easier than other games that's all.

#14 9 years ago

Go into adjustments and install "Extra Hard".

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#15 9 years ago

it looks like there might be room to put pin posts in to narrow ramp entrances a bit?

#16 9 years ago

Turn off extra balls. Set the crate and coffin to extra hard and lower the timer for Stiff-o-Meter to 15 seconds.

#17 9 years ago

Spider multiball is not the wizard mode...it's a hidden mode ala Lyman's Lament on MB. Not to mention it's a boring tedious chore to get there and basically pointless.

Scared Stiff has shallow rules so it needs short ball times. Make sure your playfield is cleaned and waxed. Adjust your sling shots so they are super sensitive. Open the outlanes. Tighten the tilt. Reduce extra balls to one. Tweak the software settings.

Ball times will be reduced but the game will still be rather repetitive in nature due to its limited ruleset.

#18 9 years ago

put the glass back on...

#19 9 years ago

Getting to the "Stiff-O-Meter" shouldn't be that hard IMHO. It's different than other games, and shouldn't be viewed in the same "Wizard Mode" comparison. It seems that many people feel every game needs a "hard to get to Wizard Mode" - sorry - not so.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but there seems to be a "Video Game" mentality regarding "Beating the Game". For many video games (especially RPG), once you play it to the end, it's not much fun anymore since you've seen it all and "Beaten It". IMHO this is a BAD perspective to have regarding pinball, and impedes peoples enjoyment of certain games.

Scared Stiff was designed so people could enjoy experiencing the Stiff-O-Meter and Monster Multiball features of the game somewhat frequently versus "once in a blue moon". Spider Multiball is included for the "once in a blue moon" experience - although it may be too hard to even go for for most people. IMHO Scared Stiff would NOT be as good/fun a game if "Monster Multiball" was harder to get to.

Also, the Stiff-O-Meter is very cool, but the goal is "Monster Multiball", which is not as easy to achieve.

Back to the OPs question - it's very easy to make Scared Stiff a tough game (as most tournaments do)....
- set the difficulty setting to EXTRA HARD
- set to tournament mode (reduces random "good" awards)
- turn off extra balls
- turn off ball save timers - beginning of ball AND multiball ball savers
- increase the pitch
- clean and wax the playfield
- lightning flippers
- wide outlanes - or take off the rubber - or remove the posts
- replace rubber - extra bouncy rubber
- tweak all switches to be "hair triggered" - for slingshots & pop bumpers
- Change the Stiff-O-Meter timer from 30 seconds to 15 seconds - much harder to complete

The above (except for Stiff-O-Meter timer) apply to pretty much ANY game btw.

Regarding EXTRA HARD settings on Scared Stiff, I'm pretty sure it will...
- Make it tough to light/relight the virtual kickback
- Make it much harder to start Crate Multiball
- Take multiple ramp shots to light lock (for Stiff in the Coffin Multiball)
- Increase hits to complete "Monsters Lab"
- --- possibly more for all the other modes needed to light Scared Stiff

Any Scared Stiff with ALL of the above done will be a VERY TOUGH GAME!

Post edited by T7: Add bullets

#20 9 years ago

Tighten tilt, lightning flippers, slingshots tight. Software to harder settings, especially the crate.

IMO it's set up perfect if you can get to Stiff-O-Meter in 20-25% of games.

#21 9 years ago

I have yet to complete the Stiff-O-Meter more than once!

#22 9 years ago

Remove one of the flippers.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

Remove one of the flippers.

Isn't that how the one-armed man from the Fugitive plays pinball?

#24 9 years ago

take notes:
-open up out lanes or remove the posts period.
-jack up the back leg levelers all the way, use the tall levelers (3") no need to worry about "pitch" specific numbers.
-no tilt warnings
-3 balls
- no extra balls
-tight tilt
-extra hard settings in software menu
-install white rubber
-install red flipper rubber (the bouncy pinkish color type)
-polish and wax the heck of of the play field.
-install new balls

- wake me up when you're done

#25 9 years ago

Trade it for a game with some depth. It's a looker, but no player.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

You know, it does play incredibly well. I can't think of a game with sweeter ramps. The design is impeccable. It simply lacks depth. So I guess it depends on your definition of 'player'.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

I've owned SS for *many* years and only gotten Spider Multiball legitimately once or twice.

Me too. I even have mine set to 5 balls and still have only done it once in 6 years.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

A game doesn't have to be deep to be good. There is no such thing as a "deep" system 11 pin and I think most of those are a blast to play.

#28 9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your great suggestion!

#29 9 years ago

Use one hand!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

£ 38.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

£ 49.00
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 249.00
£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-make-scared-stiff-a-harder-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.