ham_and_bananas_hollandaise (resized).jpg
3zyp65 (resized).jpg
6CFC0F6A-219D-41FD-86F4-90AD94AF8F2B (resized).jpeg
568BA778-E736-45E1-8B7C-CB137B25946F (resized).jpeg
DqxIJh9XgAA_7cG (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Show us your methods and recipes.

#2 3 years ago

Robin will help you... and than you'll get the "big boss edition" !

#3 3 years ago

3 egg yolks, stick of melted butter, a bit of paprika and a whole lemon. Super easy.

#4 3 years ago

Thank you. I think I'll order my eggs benedict out today.

#5 3 years ago

I use the Knorr mix, because I'm not French enough, and too American, to pull off fancy sauces that are prone to 'breaking'.

https://www.amazon.com/Knorr-Sauce-Mix-Hollandaise-Pack/dp/B000I73KTI#ace-g8881249860

Eggs Benedict is for real the bomb, though.

#6 3 years ago

I did the Knorr mix once and it did not quite cut the mustard. Probably the reason I started this thread. When I got up today, I actually laughed that I had started this thread.

But yes, Eggs Benedict are the bomb, and the only place around here that has good ones to go that I know of is The Black Bear Diner.

#7 3 years ago

What's sad is that using the Knorr packet still leads to better stuff than what I can get around here at any kind of price approaching reasonable. It's either go pay 20+ bucks a plate for some damn eggs, pay 3.00 total for something that's more than passable that I make myself, or spend around 12 bucks a person and basically be eating worse than if I'd just done it myself.

Plano/Richardson/Dalals has a lot of good eats, but breakfast foods generally isn't one of them. The good places to get that stuff all shut down years ago...Golden Eagle, Parker Station.....mom and pop places that died off. =\

#8 3 years ago

Black Bear has several versions of Eggs Benedict, but do I really need to pay extra for that bowl of fruit?

DqxIJh9XgAA_7cG (resized).jpgDqxIJh9XgAA_7cG (resized).jpg
#9 3 years ago

One of my favorite Sex Pistols songs...

Hollandaise in the Sun

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hollandaise in the Sun

That's been my brain over the last few weeks. It's been fun though.

#11 3 years ago

You need to set up a double boiler. Make sure to use clarified butter or it will break. Only use the yolks too. As soon as the eggs are tempered over the boiler, slowly drizzle the butter while whisking. You can turn off the heat right as you start drizzling too. Powdered mix is nowhere near the same quality.

#12 3 years ago

Start with a white wine / tarragon reduction and then add yolks and follow the same procedure for a killier bearnaise sauce.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Start with a white wine / tarragon reduction and then add yolks and follow the same procedure for a killier bearnaise sauce.

Don’t get saucy with me, Bearnaise!!

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Don’t get saucy with me, Bearnaise!!

That's a really good History of the World Pt. 1 reference.

#15 3 years ago

I should add: once the hollandaise is finished, add salt to taste and a touch of lemon juice.

#16 3 years ago

Wtf is this?

568BA778-E736-45E1-8B7C-CB137B25946F (resized).jpeg568BA778-E736-45E1-8B7C-CB137B25946F (resized).jpeg
#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

That's a really good History of the World Pt. 1 reference.

Best line in the movie!

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Black Bear has several versions of Eggs Benedict, but do I really need to pay extra for that bowl of fruit?[quoted image]

I would take the pancakes

#19 3 years ago

Who is this mysterious o-din? I follow his posts. His sometimes snarky responses. I’ve even seen his sock clad feet in sandals. I’m so intrigued. Maybe I’m too new to the pin game and everyone knows o-din, but I so appreciate his posts. His posts just like this one. So random in a good way. Thanks for keeping things interesting

#20 3 years ago

This guy cracks me up.

#21 3 years ago

Can’t wait!

6CFC0F6A-219D-41FD-86F4-90AD94AF8F2B (resized).jpeg6CFC0F6A-219D-41FD-86F4-90AD94AF8F2B (resized).jpeg
#22 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Black Bear has several versions of Eggs Benedict, but do I really need to pay extra for that bowl of fruit?[quoted image]

Quoted from RVH:

Wtf is this?
[quoted image]

He’s right. O-din, I have some serious questions here. First off, that bowl of fruit can fuck of. Second, That better be hash browns in the distance, because if it’s some weird coleslaw I’m going to loose it. I can see that little twisted fucker hiding; toss that orange, or lemon slice into the fruit bowl, get that outta here. CHEESE, I don’t see it between the English muffin and meat. If it’s there it to small, if it’s not there, then wasted opportunity. It dose look delicious as hell though.

Quoted from Completist:

This guy cracks me up.

This blender method works great. But the trick is to make sure that the blender is hot. We fill ours with boiling water for a couple minutes before we make hollandaise sauce. It just helps keep the butter melted and mix with the egg.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I did the Knorr mix once and it did not quite cut the mustard. Probably the reason I started this thread. When I got up today, I actually laughed that I had started this thread.
But yes, Eggs Benedict are the bomb, and the only place around here that has good ones to go that I know of is The Black Bear Diner.

I don't follow the instructions on the Knorr packages. I melt the butter, add some lemon juice and terragon, then whisk that together and add the knorr mix while still whisking. Then, whisking quicker, add the milk, quickly at first to get the first 1/4-1/3 cup in there so it doesn't turn to a blob, then slowly dribble in the rest as I whisk and it thickens. Makes a very smooth sauce, and I like the results better than the way Knorr wants you to do it.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

First off, that bowl of fruit can fuck of. Second, That better be hash browns in the distance, because if it’s some weird coleslaw I’m going to loose it.

Yes, Black Bear has one of the better breakfasts in town, but like with everything you order there it is max amount of food. I'm almost ashamed to ask them if I can get a few bucks off if they will just hold the fruit bowl. And those look to be their homestyle potatoes which are pretty damn good.

I don't do cole slaw or most other goo foods that are mixed with mayo or what have you. In fact, I just plain don't do mayo. Hollandaise much better.

#25 3 years ago

The real way: Double Boiler

The quick and dirty way: Blender

The surrender way: Packet

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Who is this mysterious o-din? I follow his posts. His sometimes snarky responses. I’ve even seen his sock clad feet in sandals.

3zyp65 (resized).jpg3zyp65 (resized).jpg
#27 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't do cole slaw or most other goo foods that are mixed with mayo or what have you. In fact, I just plain don't do mayo. Hollandaise much better.

My daughter has a mayo aversion. Well, had. My coleslaw destroyed that, or at the very least created an exception.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinballer:

The real way: Double Boiler
The quick and dirty way: Blender
The surrender way: Packet

Meh. Like VHS and Beta, once it crosses the "good enough" threshold, most people will go for that choice and save time and/or money. I don't use anything but knorr, but if you make their hollandaise the way I described, it's much better than good enough.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I so appreciate his posts. His posts just like this one. So random in a good way. Thanks for keeping things interesting

I agree. He is usually a dry flash of comic relief and hilarious irreverence. But he's hit on one of my hot buttons this time. I hate to see eggs ruined with holandaise. No, no, no, no, no....

If you want good eggs with a sauce, it's gotta be a country style benedict. Biscuit...spicy pork sausage...over-easy egg...all topped with home-made buttermilk gravy!! Save the holandaise you just made and put it on a rare steak oscar for dinner!

#30 3 years ago

Hollandaise is one of the mother sauces It is egg yolks and clarified butter, which is butter that has been boiled, usually finished with lemon. All of the mother sauces are fairly simple and require minimal ingredients.

You use the mother sauce as a base. For instance, bechamel is the base for sausage gravy and Alfredo,

The trick to hollandaise is not to cook the egg yolks! whisk the egg yolks over a double broiler and add the warm butter in a stream. Keep whisking and create an emulsion between the two. If it is too hot you have scrambled eggs. Hollandaise is really 2 maybe 3 ingredients. Don’t buy the package stuff, egg yolks butter and practice is all you need.

#31 3 years ago

Can't wait to give this recipe a try!

ham_and_bananas_hollandaise (resized).jpgham_and_bananas_hollandaise (resized).jpg
#32 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

My daughter has a mayo aversion. Well, had. My coleslaw destroyed that, or at the very least created an exception.

When I was a child, one evening it became do or die time for my parents getting me to eat. Not just the meat and the bread, but the coleslaw too. After everybody else was done, they laid it down that I was to sit at that table until I ate that pile of coleslaw. Well, the half hours turned to hours after they left me there, then I came up with the answer. I took little bits of slaw at a time and wadded its up in napkins and did my best Wlit Chamberlin and hit every shot into the wastebasket across the room. When they finally came back, it was all gone.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

When I was a child, one evening it became do or die time for my parents getting me to eat. Not just the meat and the bread, but the coleslaw too. After everybody else was done, they laid it down that I was to sit at that table until I ate that pile of coleslaw. Well, the half hours turned to hours after they left me there, then I came up with the answer. I took little bits of slaw at a time and wadded its up in napkins and did my best Wlit Chamberlin and hit every shot into the wastebasket across the room. When they finally came back, it was all gone.

My aunt tried that number on me with banana squash when I was like 7-8. She lost that battle. I still hate banana squash.

#34 3 years ago

I hate cole sause. And don't think I haven't tried it. Nothing against cabbage though.

#35 3 years ago

All this talk of packets and milk make me sad.

You only need a small pot and a glass bowl to do the steam heat. Lemon and egg yolks in the bowl, whisk until it starts solidifying, pour in the melted butter while whisking. So easy. Way better than some sad powder.

I use the microwave to melt the butter.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Meh. Like VHS and Beta, once it crosses the "good enough" threshold, most people will go for that choice and save time and/or money. I don't use anything but knorr, but if you make their hollandaise the way I described, it's much better than good enough.

I do want to give your method a try.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinballer:

I do want to give your method a try.

The only tricky part is pouring the milk. You have to pour enough to not make a clumpy mess, but not so much it's just a pool of milk. It should be a little thickened but smooth after the initial heavy pour and you keep slowly drizzling in the milk until it keeps thickening and the milk is all gone.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-make-holandaise-sause?hl=krupps4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.