(Topic ID: 132621)

How to make flipper button harder to push - WPC ?

By jimy_speedt

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Hi,

Stupid question as I am used to, but I really dislike to play with soft buttons. I often actuate the flipper when I do not want to. I am facing the situation mainly on WPC, with optos button switches, so I do not know how to make them harder.

Any advice for me please ?

thank you

#2 8 years ago

Some buttons have a spring inside and some don't. If it has a spring you can pop the button apart and stretch it. If they don't have the spring, you can replace them with ones that do.

#3 8 years ago

If you're really serious about it one thing you can do is replace the WPC boards with the Great Lakes Modular version, which uses magnets instead of an opto, and has a piece of spring steel. You can adjust the leverage point on the steel, so that you can make the button press as soft or hard as you like.

#4 8 years ago

I will try the first solution which is the cheapest, then the second if the result is not satisfactory.

thanks a lot for the tips.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

If you're really serious about it one thing you can do is replace the WPC boards with the Great Lakes Modular version, which uses magnets instead of an opto, and has a piece of spring steel. You can adjust the leverage point on the steel, so that you can make the button press as soft or hard as you like.

Tried the magnet ones for my TZ...not 100% sure if they were Great Lakes. The magnet kept moving out of position after a few plays and so would just stop working. But yes, you could adjust the firmness of the leaf.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Tried the magnet ones for my TZ...not 100% sure if they were Great Lakes. The magnet kept moving out of position after a few plays and so would just stop working. But yes, you could adjust the firmness of the leaf.

You need to tape the magnet in place.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

The magnet needs to be secured down after installation and calibration with standard scotch tape. Otherwise vibration and gravity will cause it to shift.

#8 8 years ago

I like the Great Lakes boards, but for a quick fix I have moved the flipper boards up a bit, so the button makes contact a little lower on the opt breaker bar?. << I'm sure there is some name for this doohickey.

#9 8 years ago

If none of that works you could always go in for that finger reduction treatment.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-make-flipper-button-harder-to-push-wpc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.