(Topic ID: 99008)

DIY: How to make an interactive backbox flasher kit for $15 for modern Sterns

By lyonsden

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Keypin (resized).png
    IMG_5570_(resized).JPG
    IMG_5573_(resized).JPG
    IMG_5571_(resized).JPG
    IMG_5569_(resized).JPG
    IMG_5554_(resized).jpg
    Screen_Shot_2016-01-26_at_2.01.28_PM_(resized).png
    IM-backbox-LED-panel.001_(resized).jpg
    20150219_035842.jpg
    20150219_035917.jpg
    20150212_160535.jpg
    20150212_160539.jpg
    20150212_160907.jpg
    20150212_160928.jpg
    IMG_3109.png
    IMG_3106.png
    There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago

Also, the pinout for IM.

Screen_Shot_2016-01-26_at_2.01.28_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-01-26_at_2.01.28_PM_(resized).png

#52 8 years ago

Making one for IM, in progress. Using the plastic board from Home Depot.

IMG_5554_(resized).jpgIMG_5554_(resized).jpg

1 week later
    #53 8 years ago

Making progressing wiring up the one for IM. There is a reason the ones you buy commercially don't use that many controlled LEDs. So many wires to solder . . .

IMG_5569_(resized).JPGIMG_5569_(resized).JPG
    (note that I took the picture upside down)

#54 8 years ago

That's going to be one impressive light show!

1 week later
    #55 8 years ago

Have the backbox for IM complete. This one is going to a fellow pinsider. 12 channels for all flasher activity supported by IM. This setup has a dimmer inline with the power to the background white LEDs (which also supports annoying flashing modes.)

IMG_5570_(resized).JPGIMG_5570_(resized).JPG
    IMG_5571_(resized).JPGIMG_5571_(resized).JPG
    IMG_5573_(resized).JPGIMG_5573_(resized).JPG

#56 8 years ago

lyonsden where are you getting those z connectors from?

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

lyonsden where are you getting those z connectors from?

I ordered them from GPE (https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=82). They are 24-pin and you can cut them down whatever size you need. If you are building things to tie into J6 and J7, you can get 2x10-pin with a 4-pin left over (which works well for tapping into power on WPC games (I think J116 and J118) ). Let me know if you need some 4-pins, I have some left over from making kits for backboxes and pinduinos.

#58 8 years ago

Thanks.

3 months later
    #59 7 years ago

Thanks for making this great guide. Two questions, pardon my ignorance if this is either obvious or already mentioned.

Powering the led strips with 20V flash lamp power isn't an issue, is it?

What about tapping the existing J6-7 wires with displacement connector? Is this just not as clean an installation or are there any other issues?

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from lb1:

Thanks for making this great guide. Two questions, pardon my ignorance if this is either obvious or already mentioned.
    Powering the led strips with 20V flash lamp power isn't an issue, is it?
    What about tapping the existing J6-7 wires with displacement connector? Is this just not as clean an installation or are there any other issues?

20V: shouldn't be -- 906 LEDs are rated for 12-13V.

IDC connectors: those are fine and probably would make building this easier if you have an insertion tool

2 weeks later
    #61 7 years ago

Thanks for the tip on pre-tining the led strip when soldering the connections. Really made it a lot easier.

Another question. Suppose I want to connect a led strip to a coil and not a flasher. Do you anticipate a problem as long as the voltage is 20V?

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from lb1:

Thanks for the tip on pre-tining the led strip when soldering the connections. Really made it a lot easier.
    Another question. Suppose I want to connect a led strip to a coil and not a flasher. Do you anticipate a problem as long as the voltage is 20V?

I haven't tried it, but at $1-5 for a meter of LEDs, go for it and see what happens (I have managed to fry LEDs, and the effects aren't spectacular.) [Disclaimer -- I don't foresee anything bad happening, but you never know.]

#63 7 years ago

I've been doing this exact thing for years to add interactive lighting behind the back box that lights up the wall behind the game. Great write up.

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from lyonsden:

The layout I made for Ironman was requested and figured I would post it here as well. Hope it helps someone down the road.

Got a layout for spiderman?

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Got a layout for spiderman?

Unfortunately I don't, but I am borrowing a friends SM at the moment. It is a labor of love to make those (and about 2-4 hours of placing strips, running wire, and soldering). Honestly, I've been having a lot more fun playing with pinduinos and would probably use addressable LEDs for the next interactive backbox I made. There is just so much more flexibility with addressable LEDs. Now that I think about it, I can't believe that I haven't made a backbox using a pinduino (I need more free time!)

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from lyonsden:

Unfortunately I don't, but I am borrowing a friends SM at the moment. It is a labor of love to make those (and about 2-4 hours of placing strips, running wire, and soldering). Honestly, I've been having a lot more fun playing with pinduinos and would probably use addressable LEDs for the next interactive backbox I made. There is just so much more flexibility with addressable LEDs. Now that I think about it, I can't believe that I haven't made a backbox using a pinduino (I need more free time!)

Yes pinduino would be great if I wasn't working 70 hours a week. Though your current method is better than just a fluorescent tube.

#67 7 years ago

I can't thank you enough for all of your guides. While I haven't been brave enough to jump in just yet, looking at them on a daily basis is slowly building my confidence to give it a shot.

Out of curiosity, are you still planning on doing a Whitestar guide at some point? You mentioned a bit ago you might put one together for LOTR. Is that still in the works?

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from SpiffyRob:

I can't thank you enough for all of your guides. While I haven't been brave enough to jump in just yet, looking at them on a daily basis is slowly building my confidence to give it a shot.
    Out of curiosity, are you still planning on doing a Whitestar guide at some point? You mentioned a bit ago you might put one together for LOTR. Is that still in the works?

Thanks, SpiffyRob. My apologies, but I can't remember what I said I was going to do. However, for this kind of stuff where you are monitoring/leveraging J6 and J7, white star and SAM systems are identical. It is just that J6 and J7 are in the lower right hand side of the backbox which makes space a little tight. Let me know what do you have in mind and I'll see what I can do to help.

#69 7 years ago

No apologies needed! I had a hunch Whitestar/SAM would be pretty similar based on a glance at the boards on my TSPP, but I appreciate the confirmation. I'm probably a couple of weeks away from getting rolling with this (busy summer!) but will definitely reach out if any questions arise along the way, and I'm sure they will. Thanks again!

10 months later
    #70 6 years ago

Little bit of a resurrection here...

I've finished half of my IM board and hooked it up for testing. It looks great, but I noticed a pretty strong burnt plastic smell after two games. I took off the back glass and found that it was the LEDs that were flashing the most (iron man title strips). I'm assuming this is the 20 volts going through the leds? I know 906s are rated for 12 volts, but wouldn't they have in-line resistors or something to knock down the voltage?

Can I swap the power to the 12v line? I'm assuming it would blow a fuse do to the rise in amps...

Anyone else notice this?

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Little bit of a resurrection here...
    I've finished half of my IM board and hooked it up for testing. It looks great, but I noticed a pretty strong burnt plastic smell after two games. I took off the back glass and found that it was the LEDs that were flashing the most (iron man title strips). I'm assuming this is the 20 volts going through the leds? I know 906s are rated for 12 volts, but wouldn't they have in-line resistors or something to knock down the voltage?
    Can I swap the power to the 12v line? I'm assuming it would blow a fuse do to the rise in amps...
    Anyone else notice this?

That has never happened to me on any of the Stern SAM systems I've done (some have been running for years). You are using 12V RGB LED strips?

#72 6 years ago

I'm using 12v rgb leds. I have the white strips wired to the 12v and the flasher strips to the orange 20v. What I'm confused about is how the regular flashers in the game receive 13v from the 20v source? Do they use resistors? I'll try playing again tomorrow and see if I get the same results.

Anyone else experience something similar? My wiring looks the same as what is suggested in the tutorial...

Thanks,

Lance

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I'm using 12v rgb leds. I have the white strips wired to the 12v and the flasher strips to the orange 20v. What I'm confused about is how the regular flashers in the game receive 13v from the 20v source? Do they use resistors? I'll try playing again tomorrow and see if I get the same results.
    Anyone else experience something similar? My wiring looks the same as what is suggested in the tutorial...
    Thanks,
    Lance

To my understanding, the flashers are pulsed at 20V, giving them a lower effective voltage/current. There is nothing special amount 13V LED flashers other than having internal circuitry to make them responsive at that voltage for the number of LEDs the flashers have.

Three questions:
    1. Are any of your flashers locked on (most likely due to a shorted transistor)
    2. Is there any noticeable sign of the LED strip burning due? Can you post a picture?
    3. Are there any parts of your LED flasher mod that aren't working (maybe you have a short and soldered across the 12V+ and one of the color grounds on an LED strip)

4 months later
    #74 6 years ago

I'm also wondering about this 20V going to the LED strips. I wanted to adapt your idea to my AC/DC pinball machine and could measure 20V on J6 Pin10 and J7 Pin1. So are the flashers pulsed as you mentioned?

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from OlDirty:

I'm also wondering about this 20V going to the LED strips. I wanted to adapt your idea to my AC/DC pinball machine and could measure 20V on J6 Pin10 and J7 Pin1. So are the flashers pulsed as you mentioned?

Yes, you should be fine. Most LED flashers are 12V or 13V; most LED strips are 12V. I'm not sure about the pulsing, and I have seen LED bulbs melt if the transistor shorts and the bulb is locked on. As long as They get short durations of power, all will be fine.

2 months later
    #76 6 years ago

I've been reading and re-reading this thread and I'm about ready to jump in. I'm confused about the KEY pin. What's its purpose? Thanks

#77 6 years ago

Key pins are cut on headers and a plug is put in one of the holes on the plug to prevent you from plugging in the a plug to the wrong header.

#78 6 years ago

So they're just dummies (like me!)...
    Thanks

#79 6 years ago

They have saved my bacon time and time again!

Keypin (resized).pngKeypin (resized).png

#80 6 years ago

Mmm... bacon.....
    Dummies like visuals, thanks again!

#81 6 years ago

Anyone have a layout to share for spiderman?

5 years later
    #82 7 months ago

Has anyone done this in any Williams games? I have the following:

Johnny Mnemonic
    Cyclone
    Hurricane
    Fire Power

Thank you.

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-make-flashers-or-under-cabinet-lighting-for-15-for-modern-sterns/page/2?hl=vader77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.