image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
lightLEDwithcapacitorcircuitpbclosed_(resized).jpg
20160403_173210_(resized).jpg
DSC02157_(resized).JPG
DSC02158_(resized).JPG
20160331_102706_(resized).jpg
20160329_213612_(resized).jpg
There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#152 8 years ago

Well, I resolved my flutter issue. Replaced the dimmer switch and sure enough, the new one works as designed.

#153 8 years ago

Great effort . And many seem to really like the effect. But I must add that I could just keep my opinion to my self however ........
I find that bright LED's in the back box really cause bad glare on the playfield glass . It makes the Art look great but glare overall causes diminishing return. Now I did not read all the post . Can a dimmer be added to really lower the lumens of the bright LED's ??? Peace

#154 8 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Great effort . And many seem to really like the effect. But I must add that I could just keep my opinion to my self however ........
I find that bright LED's in the back box really cause bad glare on the playfield glass . It makes the Art look great but glare overall causes diminishing return. Now I did not read all the post . Can a dimmer be added to really lower the lumens of the bright LED's ??? Peace

Well, my LED lightbox for the translite was a test. I did 5 rows of 300 Daylight LED's per meter. Way too bright...that's why I wanted the dimmer. And now, it works, and there is minimal glare, because I turned it way down. If I was to do it again, I'd use no more than 150 LED's per meter and probably 4 rows instead of 5.

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from rippleman:

Well, my LED lightbox for the translite was a test. I did 5 rows of 300 Daylight LED's per meter. Way too bright...that's why I wanted the dimmer. And now, it works, and there is minimal glare, because I turned it way down. If I was to do it again, I'd use no more than 150 LED's per meter and probably 4 rows instead of 5.

I only put 4 rows on LotR because they were so bright. . .I even covered parts of the LED strips to keep the dark areas dark. . . worked well.

2 months later
#156 8 years ago

anyone installed this in a SPIKE pin ?

i want to install it in a GB pin

any infos, never seen a spike inside

#157 8 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

anyone installed this in a SPIKE pin ?
i want to install it in a GB pin
any infos, never seen a spike inside

Spike uses a totally different board and all the modules are run off it.
I would say it's possible,, but the location where it connects to is certainly not the same.

#158 8 years ago

I Know

So

Is it possible To Switch off the original LEDs

Are there original backbox flashers

#159 8 years ago

came up with this for my IMVE...added a bit more white after this pic was taken...
006_(resized).jpg006_(resized).jpg
used these in-line to be able to dim the light, as a bonus it has some flashing and fading features as well...
009_(resized).jpg009_(resized).jpg
here is the before...
015_(resized).jpg015_(resized).jpg
and after...

20160328_200724_(resized).jpg20160328_200724_(resized).jpg

#160 8 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

came up with this for my IMVE...added a bit more white after this pic was taken...
006_(resized).jpg
used these in-line to be able to dim the light, as a bonus it has some flashing and fading features as well...
009_(resized).jpg
here is the before...
015_(resized).jpg
and after...
20160328_200724_(resized).jpg

Nice work! Looks really good!

#161 8 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Nice work! Looks really good!

Thanks...your guide made it easy... next up Spiderman...

#162 8 years ago

Looks like an excellent application for Pinduino to control some of the lighting, too, no?

I was planning that same kind of thing for my IM, so thanks for posting! Looks great.

--Donnie

#163 8 years ago

Adding a pinduino would be neat, but may be overkill. You can also tie directly into the flasher circuits to control standard RGB LED strips: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-make-flashers-or-under-cabinet-lighting-for-15-for-modern-sterns

The pinduino would let you control addressable LEDs if you wanted to have sweeping lighting effects or other such things. If anyone is interested in how to do that, just let me know.

#164 8 years ago

Also, here is an IM setup I did tied to the flashers:

And the pinout and LED layout: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-make-flashers-or-under-cabinet-lighting-for-15-for-modern-sterns#post-2934820

3b02a121d25231c2ea7faf95df9b9db636a24416_(resized).jpg3b02a121d25231c2ea7faf95df9b9db636a24416_(resized).jpg

#165 8 years ago

Wpt...test fit with tape only holding it in place...

20160329_213527_(resized).jpg20160329_213527_(resized).jpg
before
20160329_210114_(resized).jpg20160329_210114_(resized).jpg
after
20160329_213612_(resized).jpg20160329_213612_(resized).jpg
Still a god awful looking translight but I like better with the LEDs

#166 8 years ago

Sure makes the other games look dull...

20160331_102706_(resized).jpg20160331_102706_(resized).jpg

#167 8 years ago

Just wanted to share this, I did a cheaper version of this, for those not overly technical, might help some, cost me 9 bucks total..

I ordered a 10M roll of cool white led strips off Ebay for 9 shipped, took a regular piece of cardboard, cut it to fit with lips on the sides and bottom, than extended the wire from the strip to the 12V add on connector at the bottom right corner, I think it looks fantastic, and was easy, did not remove any hardware or buy anything special. Not trying to take away from the amazing job the original poster did by any means, just figured I would share. I have dimmers coming that mount in the cabinet, 2.49 each free shipping.. so I can adjust a little better.. here are my results. I also JUST finished doing it to Last action hero, just used the existing door, kept the flashers in and ran the strip, came out awesome too... starting LW3 now, gets rid of the "hot spots" and has a nice even glow to the back box, Going to do every game, wish I had not spent all that money on LED bulbs for the backboxes, I am going to have ALOT of extra non ghosting warm bulbs after this!

DSC02158_(resized).JPGDSC02158_(resized).JPG
DSC02157_(resized).JPGDSC02157_(resized).JPG

#168 8 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

I wanted to give an update to how to get the backbox to turn on and off with the GI. Hopefully this will help some people until I get a full tutorial written:
Circuit diagram of using GI circuit to control the LED backbox circuit. Let me know if you find any problems with this diagram. It is the first one I've made.

Did you have have ever problems with this circuit? Burning out transistors?
Transistors do not like large currents into its base. So normally you need to add a base resistor to limit the current. The exact value depends of the load current and the beta of the transistor. I would suggest start with resistor of 47ohm or 100ohm between the capacitor and the base (B) of the transistor.

#169 8 years ago
Quoted from DDDwingmaster:

Did you have have ever problems with this circuit? Burning out transistors?
Transistors do not like large currents into its base. So normally you need to add a base resistor to limit the current. The exact value depends of the load current and the beta of the transistor. I would suggest start with resistor of 47ohm or 100ohm between the capacitor and the base (B) of the transistor.

I've had no problems with the circuit. Been running for well over a year, including bringing the game to shows where it is on and being played for 12 hours. YMMV

#170 8 years ago

Spiderman...

20160403_173210_(resized).jpg20160403_173210_(resized).jpg

#171 8 years ago

Your lineup is looking bright and outstanding! I'd like to see what you come up with if you start tying in flasher lights to those!

2 weeks later
#172 7 years ago

Anyone installed it in a Spike?

would be interested also with flashers in spike backbones

will install one in my GB pin

1 month later
#173 7 years ago

I have made one of these for my WPT and it looks great. However I get a very slight flicker when the flipper buttons are pressed. I have RGB LED's running through a control box and powered from J11.
Any ideas to stop the flickering ?

#174 7 years ago

The flickering is probably due to a voltage drop when a flipper is engaged. You can smooth that out by adding a capacitor to the backbox LEDs.

#175 7 years ago

i have such a DIY Panel in my GB
i
use the pinballife 48V to 12V converter

no Problems

#176 7 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

The flickering is probably due to a voltage drop when a flipper is engaged. You can smooth that out by adding a capacitor to the backbox LEDs.

In parallel across the power supply to the LEDs ?

#177 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

In parallel across the power supply to the LEDs ?

Yes -- something like:

lightLEDwithcapacitorcircuitpbclosed_(resized).jpglightLEDwithcapacitorcircuitpbclosed_(resized).jpg

#178 7 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Yes -- something like:

Cool. Any idea on what rating capacitor to use. I have a few knocking around.

#179 7 years ago

It does look good though.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#180 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

That looks way better than mine...

#181 7 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

That looks way better than mine...

What LEDs did you use ?
I used RGB. They give a slightly bluer light which I think looks good. There are two bands of green where the money piles are.

#182 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Cool. Any idea on what rating capacitor to use. I have a few knocking around.

For one of the early ones that I did where it is powered by the GI through a bridge rectifier (so the translite shuts off with the GI during gameplay), I have a 35v-100u that I had lying around (came with a basic Arduino started set) which works quite well to smooth the signal and shit down the LEDs pretty quickly. I think you can get away with one that small, but may want to try a larger one if you have one handy.

#183 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Agreed -- looks quite good. Can you get a picture with the translite off?

#184 7 years ago

Also, I've been using these: ebay.com link: itm

5M of cool white 5050 60 LEDs/M for $6.50 I use 4-5 strips for a backbox.

#185 7 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Agreed -- looks quite good. Can you get a picture with the translite off?

Here you go. This was when I had a dud segment of LEDs which I have since changed.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

2 months later
#187 7 years ago

do someone with a good DIY idea on what we can do (and most surelly NOT do) with the SPIKE system ?
a pinball without animations/flashers in the backglass is so sad...

4 months later
#188 7 years ago

Someone asked about the backboard for these. This is something I've been using from home depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plaskolite-18-in-x-24-in-Corrugated-Plastic-Sheet-1TW1824A/202043334 Costs $6

#189 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Here you go. This was when I had a dud segment of LEDs which I have since changed.

How is this accomplished? (The blues and greens)? I get the whole RGB concept, but trying to figure out what this "continuous" strip looks like. Where is the 12V feed? I assume you have the controller set to "white" and at different points you're cutting and then resoldering the strip to get the different colors? Tough to see what's going on in the foreground (and potentially background) of this picture and a quick tutorial would be useful using this white, blue and green as an example.

#190 7 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

How is this accomplished? (The blues and greens)? I get the whole RGB concept, but trying to figure out what this "continuous" strip looks like. Where is the 12V feed? I assume you have the controller set to "white" and at different points you're cutting and then resoldering the strip to get the different colors? Tough to see what's going on in the foreground (and potentially background) of this picture and a quick tutorial would be useful using this white, blue and green as an example.

You bridge some of the connectors to get a fixed colour. I will take a photo later.

#191 7 years ago

This is how it is done.

Regular (multicolour) connection.

IMG_7664.JPGIMG_7664.JPG

Green only connection.

IMG_7663.JPGIMG_7663.JPG

4 wires connected back up so that the middle segments of the bottom row are multicolour.

IMG_7665.JPGIMG_7665.JPG

And finally making the last segments on the bottom row permanently green.

IMG_7666.JPGIMG_7666.JPG

#192 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

This is how it is done.
Regular (multicolour) connection.

Green only connection.

4 wires connected back up so that the middle segments of the bottom row are multicolour.

And finally making the last segments on the bottom row permanently green.

Awesome photos! Thanks for taking the time to post those.

#193 7 years ago

I appreciate this. Going to experiment.

The work with the GI and flashers on Iron Man makes that one of the most awesome translites I've ever seen.

Stupid question. On the bottom row where you go from green back to white, where are the B and R wires coming from? Could you not just connect solder from the green across the B and R on the right side of that cut?

#194 7 years ago

I appreciate this. Going to experiment.
The work with the GI and flashers on Iron Man makes that one of the most awesome translites I've ever seen.
Stupid question. On the bottom row where you go from green back to white, where are the B and R wires coming from? Could you not just connect solder from the green across the B and R on the right side of that cut?

No because you wouldn't have full colour range, just white. Remember the rest of the board retains the full colour changing capabilities. Only the bottom two segments are permanently green, the rest of it can be any colour I choose with the remote control. It can even fade between colours.

The B & R wires (3rd photo) are extensions from the two de-soldered wires in the second photo.

3 weeks later
#195 7 years ago

I was inspired by this thread and so, I'm sharing my Star Trek Premium back box mod. It turned out awesome. Star Trek has interactive
LED's mounted in the back box. No fear, we have you covered. I was able to cut out the areas where the flashers are located and saved
the Enterprise! So I hope you will enjoy my video of the mod. In addition some photos of the cut outs to assist.

You tube Video:

Photos of the cut outs are attached.

IMG_4791 (resized).JPGIMG_4791 (resized).JPG

IMG_4792 (resized).JPGIMG_4792 (resized).JPG

#196 7 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

I was inspired by this thread and so, I'm sharing my Star Trek Premium back box mod. It turned out awesome. Star Trek has interactive
LED's mounted in the back box. No fear, we have you covered. I was able to cut out the areas where the flashers are located and saved
the Enterprise! So I hope you will enjoy my video of the mod. In addition some photos of the cut outs to assist.
You tube Video:
» YouTube video
Photos of the cut outs are attached.

Looks fantastic! Nice work.

3 months later
#197 6 years ago

Thank you for your guides lyonsden. I followed all three of yours and now have an LED panel with flashers that switches on and off with the game lights. I just finished it tonight and still have to work out a few bugs, but so far I am loving it. The one slight modification I made was putting the GI circuit switch in line between the cabinet power and a power splitter. That way all my light mods are switched with the games GI.

Anyone have any suggestions for which colors to tie together in which areas for POTC? Right now the entire panel is RGB, but the only color that looks good is white. The rest of the colors wash out all the art. I may solder all three colors together to get white, that way the undercab could still fade between colors as I play. The three flasher colors are red for the chest, green for the ship/explosion, and yellow for the pirates logo.

pirates leds (resized).jpgpirates leds (resized).jpg

pirates leds2 (resized).jpgpirates leds2 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Trade
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-make-an-led-backbox-for-30-for-modern-sterns/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.