image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
lightLEDwithcapacitorcircuitpbclosed_(resized).jpg
20160403_173210_(resized).jpg
DSC02157_(resized).JPG
DSC02158_(resized).JPG
20160331_102706_(resized).jpg
20160329_213612_(resized).jpg
There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 9 years ago

After being helped by so many great "how tos" here, I've decided to document and create my first. I've disliked the florescent tube in my Stern pins and have wanted to change the backbox to LEDs. However, the cost of getting a pre-fab one done is a bit on the pricey side. Not that they aren't worth it, but I figured that making them could be something that I could handle. After some research and parts hunting, I figured that I could make one for about $50. Once I had assembled the parts and successfully made my first, I decided to document everything that went into making my second. All told, the cost was about $30 and takes about 4 hours (depending on how many times I had to get a beer, dig out a tool, or find where I put down tool). I'll be posting this in a series, outlining the parts (costs and where to get them), required tools, and step by step instructions with photos. I hope this how-to helps someone as much other people's how-tos have helped me. Your comments and feedback for how to make this better (or point out errors!) are appreciated.

A couple of photos to show the final results.

IMG_3007.pngIMG_3007.png
IMG_3008.pngIMG_3008.png
IMG_3010.pngIMG_3010.png

#2 9 years ago

The parts list:

Hardware store (Ace):
2x 6x32 3" rods ($0.40)
4x flange washers ($0.27)
2x 6x32 wing nuts ($0.59)
6x 6x32 nuts ($0.10)
2x small lock washers ($0.10)
zip ties ($1)
22 gauge wire ($1)
heat shrink tubing ($1)

Pinball life and/or Great Plains Electronics:
6-pin IDC (.156") connector ($0.45/$0.18): press fit or pins (press: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1598, pins: https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=81 )
(optional -- depends on IDC connector style) 6 crimp contact pins (.156"): ($0.08) https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=80
6-pin IDC header (.156"): ($.35) http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1622

Ebay:
5M RGB LED 12V strip (300 5050 LEDs) $10 ebay.com link: itm)

Connecting wire for LED strips (Need one fewer than number of LED strips) can be bare or with quick connects ($0.25-$1) (ebay.com link: itm $3.25 for 10)

RGB remote controller ($3.50): ebay.com link: itm

Note: Just received one of these and the battery for the remote is NOT included! Required: CR2025

Batteries for RGB remote (44 key):

*CHANGE*
Get the 24"x18" plastic board from Home Depot. The slightly narrower width makes it easier to mount/unmount the backboard. Also, this negates the need to cut slots to wrap the wires around the board. For photos: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-make-an-led-backbox-for-30-for-modern-sterns/page/3#post-1898877
<original>
Foam core poster board cut to 25"x18"
Michael's sells 40"x32" for $8 (enough for two, or messing up one)
</original>

IMG_2960.pngIMG_2960.png

#3 9 years ago

Tools:

Phillips screwdriver #2: for removing florescent light tube holders
Box cutter: for cutting poster board
Straight edge/meter stick: for drawing and cutting straight lines
Tape measure: for measuring
5/16" box wrench: for tightening 6x32 nuts
Extra small screwdriver: for punching holes in poster board
Scissors: for cutting LED strip and poster board slots
Heat gun: for heat shrink tubing
Helping hands: for holding electronics
Crimping tool: for attaching crimp contact pins
Wire stripper
Wire cutter
Soldering iron and solder

IMG_3013.JPGIMG_3013.JPG

#4 9 years ago

Directions for cable adaptor harness: Abbreviated

WARNING: do not connect or disconnect cables to a pinball machine while it is on. You could shock yourself or do damage to the boards.

Steps:
1. Locate 6 pin power IDC connector (J11) on cpu board. This is located in the upper left corner of the board
2. unplug and note pin labels:
1: +5V
2: GND
3: -12V
4: AGND
5: AGND (header pin clipped)
6: +12V
NOTE: The harness will add a bridge that has wires for pins 1 (+5V), 2 (GND), and 6 (+12V). For the back box LEDs, we will be using only the GND and +12V. The +5V may be used for other mods (e.g., addressable LEDs)
3. Cut 5 short wires that will be used to connect IDC header to connector
4. Cut three long wires that will be used to bridge pins 1, 2, and 6 to back board or other mods
5. Hold 6-pin IDC connector with helping hands
6. Solder 5 short wires to header pins 1, 2, 3, 4, 6
7. solder 3 long wires to header pins 1, 2, 6
8. cut and place heat shrink over the wires and exposed pins
9. heat and shrink with heat gun
10. pin small wires with crimp contacts if using an IDC connector that requires them
11. push pins/push wires into IDC connector
12. double check that you pinned the harness correctly
13. clip pin 5 from header so it can be plugged into connector J11

If you have an RGB color changing module, times to wire it to the harness.
1. Pop it open
2. Solder the ground and 12V wires from the harness as shown in the picture.
3. Test. If it doesn't work, try switching the wires.
4. Close it
5. Attached it to the head with double sided tape.

If you don't have an RGB color changing module, you can wire directly to the back box LED lead. For white, bridge the RGB inputs together and connect to the negative wire. 12V+ to the 12V on the LED strips.

Completed harness

IMG_2996.pngIMG_2996.png
IMG_2997.pngIMG_2997.png

Directions backboard: Abbreviated

1. Cut foam core poster board to size (25"x18")
2. Measure and poke holes for mounting posts
3. Remove yellow tabs holding in florescent tubes
4. Remove florescent tube
5. Remove florescent tube holders
6. Tuck florescent tube holders behind florescent tube mounting plates
7. Remove florescent tube starter
8. Screw in 6x32 3" rods into florescent tube mounting plate
WARNING: Make sure it is in far enough so that the ends don't hit the translite!!!
9. Put small lock washer on rods
10. Tighten 6x32 nut against lock washer to hold rod in place on mounting plate
11. Put two 6x32 nuts onto each rod, about halfway down. These will be the backstop for the poster board
12. Tighten the two nuts against one another to lock them in place
13. Test fit the poster board in the back box (adjust as necessary -- you can bend the rods widen holes, start over)
14. Cut light strips (lengths of twelve sets of three LEDS for the one shown in this example)
15. Measure poster board to space LED strips. (Number of strips + 1)/18". For the 6 strips shown here, that is ~2-9/16" from end to first strip and between each strip
16. Cut slots in edge of poster board to run wires for the LED strips
17. Remove backing and apply LED strips.
NOTE: Since you will be tapping into the 12V power on the cpu board (right board on SAM systems), it will be easiest to leave a connector free on the upper right side of the poster board (with the LEDs facing you)
18. Connect wiring in serial.
NOTE: doing steps alternating steps 17 and 18 help make sure that you orient the LED strip (12V top or 12V bottom) correctly. Exactly how to connect the wires depends if you have quick connects or solder. This example uses both.
NOTE: if soldering, make sure to tin (put solder) on the LED strip pads and the wire before soldering together.
NOTE: if using quick connects, I noticed a fraction were shorted or made bad connections
NOTE: Test the lights and the color channels as you go, this makes it easier to find and correct problems
19. Pull wires through slots
20. Tape wires to back of poster board
21. Glue flange washers to rod holes on poster board (protects the holes)
22. Connect to power, mount, enjoy!

Completed backbox:

Post edited by lyonsden: Added abbreviated directions for backbox

IMG_3006.pngIMG_3006.png IMG_3007.pngIMG_3007.png
#5 9 years ago

Making the wiring harness: Detailed

Note: Thanks to Kris at Firebird Pinball for pointing out that you can just run wires from the accessory plug located near the coin door. That should be safer for your CPU board and take less time to make. I'll post details on how to do that on the next machine I do, but the parts list are further down in the thread.

#6 9 years ago

Step 1. Locate 6 pin power IDC connector (J11) on cpu board. This is located in the upper left corner of the board
Step 2. Unplug and note pin labels:
Pin 1: +5V
Pin 2: GND
Pin 3: -12V
Pin 4: AGND
Pin 5: AGND (header pin clipped)
Pin 6: +12V

NOTE: The harness will add a bridge that has wires for pins 1 (+5V), 2 (GND), and 6 (+12V). For the back box LEDs, we will be using only the GND and +12V. The +5V may be used for other mods (e.g., addressable LEDs)

IMG_2984.pngIMG_2984.png IMG_2986.pngIMG_2986.png
#7 9 years ago

Step 3. Cut 5 short wires that will be used to connect IDC header to connector
Step 4. Cut three long wires that will be used to bridge pins 1, 2, and 6 to back board or other mods
Step 5. Hold 6-pin IDC connector with helping hands (I love this thing!)

Note: I labeled the pin numbers for pins 1 and 6 on the IDC connector. It is relatively easy to wire this backwards.

IMG_2987.pngIMG_2987.png

#8 9 years ago

Step 6. Solder 5 short wires to header pins 1, 2, 3, 4, 6

IMG_2988.pngIMG_2988.png
#9 9 years ago

Step 7. Solder 3 long wires to header pins 1, 2, 6

IMG_2989.pngIMG_2989.png
#11 9 years ago

8. Cut and place heat shrink over the wires and exposed pins.

Note: I used different diameter tubes for the single and double wires. Having a kits with different sizes helps.

IMG_2990.pngIMG_2990.png
#12 9 years ago

Step 9. Heat and shrink tubing with heat gun

Note: Heat guns are awesome. Surprisingly dangerous, but awesome!

IMG_2991.pngIMG_2991.png
#13 9 years ago

Step 10. Pin small wires with crimp contacts if using an IDC connector that requires them.

Note: Having a ratcheting crimping tool helps a bunch. I used to do this with needle nose pliers, and then I got this: ebay.com link: itm ($19)

I will never, ever go back.

IMG_2992.pngIMG_2992.png
#15 9 years ago

Step 11. Push pins/push wires into IDC connector

IMG_2994.pngIMG_2994.png
#16 9 years ago

Wiring harness complete.

Note: Header pin 5 has been clipped. The connecter in the machine for J11 is keyed by having pin 5 blocked.

IMG_2996.pngIMG_2996.png

#17 9 years ago

Step 12. Double check that you pinned the harness correctly.

Note: The missing wire on pin 5 should line up. If it is on pin 2, the harness was pinned backwards. Time to start over.

IMG_2997.pngIMG_2997.png

#18 9 years ago

Step 13: Clip pin 5 from header of your new harness so it can be plugged into connector J11.

Note: The connector for J11 is keyed with the hole for pin 5 blocked. You need to remove this pin from your wiring harness' header in order to plug it in.

Post edited by lyonsden: Added photo

image.jpgimage.jpg
#19 9 years ago

If you have an RGB color changing module, time to wire it to the harness. These modules are 12V so will run straight off the 12V+ power of your pin.

Step 1. Pop it open
Step 2. Solder the ground and 12V wires from the harness as shown in the picture. You will be soldering to the underside of the board where the 12V DC plug is soldered through.
Step 3. Test. (You will need the completed LED backbox or strand of lights with the appropriate connector. Your 5M LED strip should have connectors attached to each end). If it doesn't work, try switching the wires. I did this and nothing bad happened. Of course, it took me 30 minutes to figure that out.
Step 4. Close it
Step 5. Attached it to the inside of the head with double sided tape. The upper right-hand corner has space.

IMG_2998.pngIMG_2998.png
IMG_2999.pngIMG_2999.png
IMG_3001.pngIMG_3001.png

#20 9 years ago

If you don't have an RGB color changing module, you can wire directly to the back box LED lead. For white, bridge the RGB inputs together and connect to the negative wire. 12V+ to the 12V on the LED strips.

In the photos, I bridged the RGB cables of an LED wiring harness by twisting them together. I then attached 1 pin molex plugs to all the cables to make it easy to connect and disconnect (so I can upgrade the second machine with a coloring changing remote). The second photo shows this harness connecting the 12V+ and the ground wires from the CPU board to a finished backbox.

Note: The in the photo, the 12V+ from the CPU board harness is red and is connected to the black (12V+) of the LED wiring harness. The colors on those LED strips can be confusing if you are not paying attention.

IMG_3003.pngIMG_3003.png
IMG_3005.pngIMG_3005.png

#21 9 years ago

Directions for the backbox: Detailed

#22 9 years ago

Step 1. Cut foam core poster board to size (25"x18").

Note: I found that using a straight edge (in my case, a piece of wood) to guide a box cutter worked well for cutting through one side of the poster board. I then bent the poster board at 90 degrees and cut through with a second pass of the box cutter.

IMG_2949.pngIMG_2949.png IMG_2950.pngIMG_2950.png
#23 9 years ago

Step 2: Measure and poke holes for mounting posts. This will be 9" from the top (or bottom) and 1" in. The holes need to be 23" apart. I used a small phillips screwdriver for poking holes.

IMG_2966.pngIMG_2966.png
#24 9 years ago

Now it is time to remove the florescent tube from the backbox, get the mounting hardware installed, and see how the poster board fits!

Step 3: Remove the yellow tabs holding in florescent tube.

IMG_2951.pngIMG_2951.png IMG_2953.pngIMG_2953.png
#25 9 years ago

Great descriptions and documentations...thanks

#26 9 years ago

4. Remove the florescent tube.

Note: You need to twist the bulb until the pins on it are lined up with the slot in the front of the tube holders. It is a bit delicate and I have broken holders without much force.

IMG_2954.pngIMG_2954.png
#27 9 years ago

Step 5. Remove florescent tube holders. There is a phillips head screw. Remove it.
Step 6. Tuck florescent tube holders behind florescent tube mounting plates. There is no need to cut the wires running to them.

Note: The screw hole will be used for the backbox mounting hardware.

IMG_2955.pngIMG_2955.png

#28 9 years ago

Awesome write up, but I would hesitate to wire it up to the CPU board as you are doing.

Why reinvent the wheel. Simply use a 3 pin 0.93 Molex Plug connector and wire it into the aux port plug in the lower right side of the cabinet that was intentionally made for add-ons.

https://greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=87
https://greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=89

You risk compromising the reliability of the power into your CPU with the handmade connectors and the plugs look much cleaner than what you are doing. Only needs 3 pieces (the connector and 2 pins) and 12 feet of wire and takes 3 minutes to crimp together with no soldering, no shrink wrap.

A mistake with the plugs and most likely you blow a fuse. A mistake on your adaptor harness and you might put 12V onto the 5 V circuit at the CPU and POW! dead board.

Also for the power box input these are handy to have.

ebay.com link: 10pcs DC Power Male Plug Jack Adapter Connector 2 5 x 5 5mm 2 5mm plug

You can also find them with flying leads already attached.

Probably should have waited to post this until you finish the tutorial.

#29 9 years ago

Step 7: Remove the florescent tube starter from the left side. This is removed by turning (counterclockwise, I believe. Or the other way.)

Note, it is a bit tight due to a lot of wires running behind the mounting plate, but you can still get the florescent tube holder tucked out of the way.

IMG_2956.pngIMG_2956.png IMG_2957.pngIMG_2957.png
#30 9 years ago

Here are your liberated parts. Save them in case you want to revert back to original (or the next owner does.)

IMG_2958.pngIMG_2958.png
#31 9 years ago

what are the daughter boards on the lamp columns and rows on your Iron Man?

#32 9 years ago

Step 8: Screw in 6x32 3" rods into florescent tube mounting plate
Step 9: Put small lock washer on rods
Step 10: Tighten 6x32 nut against lock washer to hold rod in place on mounting plate with the 5/16" wrench

WARNING: Make sure it is in far enough so that the ends don't hit the translite!!!
Second WARNING: Obey the first warning.

IMG_2962.pngIMG_2962.png

IMG_2964.pngIMG_2964.png
#33 9 years ago

Mounting rods installed.

IMG_2965.pngIMG_2965.png
#34 9 years ago

This is a great tutorial, thanks for sharing

#35 9 years ago

Step 11. Put two 6x32 nuts onto each rod, about halfway down. These will be the backstop for the poster board
Step 12. Tighten the two nuts against one another to lock them in place

Note: you want some clearance from the boards. Some of those components get hot and will melt the tacky adhesive used to tape the LED strips in place. (Ask me how I know. . . )

IMG_2968.pngIMG_2968.png
#36 9 years ago

Step 13: Test fit the poster board in the back box (adjust as necessary -- you can bend the rods widen holes, start over.)

IMG_2967.pngIMG_2967.png
#37 9 years ago

14. Cut light strips. Length: in this example, twelve sets of three LEDS.

Note: The strips of LEDS are arrayed in sets of threes with very obviously places to cut (exposed metal pads for making contacts). When you cut, cut on the black line to give equal contact space to each side. This is important when connecting wires the the LED strips.

Note: How many strips should you use? Up to you. These strips are dimmable (there are inline dim controllers for ~$1-2 and the color remote has dim control too). I decided to err on the bright side and use 6 strips which I could dim later.

IMG_2969.pngIMG_2969.png
#38 9 years ago

Step 15. Measure poster board to space LED strips. The formula to use is:
(Number of strips + 1)/(height of poster board)

For this example, I used 6 strips and the height of the poster board is 18". That is ~2-9/16" from board end to first strip and between each strip.

Note: I made marks on each side of the poster board for these measurements. However, the picture doesn't show them and is not very exciting, so it has been omitted.

#39 9 years ago

Step 16. Cut slots in edge of poster board to run wires for the LED strips.

Note: I made two cuts at the edge of the poster board at each mark, about 3/4" long. I then pushed the material through the cut and snipped it off.

IMG_2970.pngIMG_2970.png
#40 9 years ago

Step 17. Remove backing and apply LED strips.

NOTE: Since you will be tapping into the 12V power on the cpu board (right board on SAM systems), it will be easiest to leave a connector free on the upper right side of the poster board (with the LEDs facing you). The roll of LEDs has a connector attached at each end.

NOTE: If you are tapping into the accessory power source located near the coin door (see message from Firebird) of the pin, leave a connector free on the lower right corner so you can run the wires along and up the right side of the cabinet.

IMG_2971.pngIMG_2971.png

Post edited by lyonsden: Add note about connecting to the accessory power near coin door.

#41 9 years ago

Step 18. Connect LED strips by wiring in serial.

NOTE: Alternating steps 17 and 18 help make sure that you orient the LED strip (12V top or 12V bottom) correctly. Exactly how to connect the wires depends if you have quick connects or solder. This example uses both.
NOTE: If soldering, make sure to tin (put solder) on the LED strip pads and the wire before soldering together. This makes it much, much easier and is to lessen the time you apply heat to the LED strips.
NOTE: If using quick connects, I noticed a fraction were shorted or made bad connections. You can pop them apart and try to fix them. A small flat head screw driver was my friend.
NOTE: Test the lights and the color channels as you go, this makes it easier to find and correct problems,

IMG_2972.pngIMG_2972.png IMG_2973.pngIMG_2973.png IMG_2974.pngIMG_2974.png IMG_2975.pngIMG_2975.png IMG_2978.pngIMG_2978.png IMG_2976.pngIMG_2976.png IMG_2979.pngIMG_2979.png IMG_2980.pngIMG_2980.png IMG_2981.pngIMG_2981.png
#42 9 years ago

This shows the different LED RGB connectors. One with quick connects on both sides, and one with a quick connector on only one side. After doing one backbox with each, I like the one with only one quick connect. Of course, this depends on how much you want to practice your soldering skills versus playing the game of "finding the short circuit".

IMG_2982.pngIMG_2982.png

#43 9 years ago

Step 19. Pull wires through slits
Step 20. Tape wires to back of poster board

Note: I just used scotch tape and have no idea how it will hold up.

IMG_2977.pngIMG_2977.png
#44 9 years ago

Time to test!

IMG_2983.pngIMG_2983.png
#45 9 years ago

Step 21. Glue flange washers to rod holes on poster board front and back (protects the holes)
Step 22. Connect to power, mount, enjoy!

Note: I've also found that the flange washers also help with the mounting of the board in the machine.

IMG_3007.pngIMG_3007.png

#46 9 years ago

That is pretty much it. If you have the RGB remote control, you'll need to pay attention to the antenna on it. Make sure it isn't tucked away where it can't receive a signal. Also, I have found that you need to know where it is so you can put the remote very near it.

Here are some final picts. This is lame of me, but I forgot to get before picts (I'm including one from when I unboxed IM and first turned it on. However, it is during the day so isn't a great comparison). Hopefully the comparison of IM next to a fully LEDed TOM will emphasize how bright this can be.

IMG_3010.pngIMG_3010.png
IMG_3008.pngIMG_3008.png
IMG_3009.pngIMG_3009.png

IMG_2916.JPGIMG_2916.JPG
#47 9 years ago

Next time, how to wire up the backbox for flashers! Of course, posting this took about the same amount of time as making a backbox LED kit, so it may be a little while.

IMG_3015.JPGIMG_3015.JPG

#48 9 years ago

Great job...thanks for sharing

#49 9 years ago

This is a wonderful tutorial. +10,000 internet points to you for putting it together and taking the time to post everything.

#50 9 years ago

Awesome. My only feedback is that you're calling molex connectors "IDC". IDC is Insulation Displacement Connector. There wouldn't be any crimped pins on an IDC connector. Other than that nitpick...I'm using this guide. I'll probably do as mentioned above and make a connection to the mod plug at the front of the cabinet, and I already know how to wire into flashers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Trade
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-make-an-led-backbox-for-30-for-modern-sterns and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.