Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by halflip87
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Why would you want to make a pin more challenging? There are many reasons to up the brutal on a machine:
    1. 6 digit and too easy to roll
    2. Make the game better for league play
    3. Cut down on play times
    4. Improve your save skills

This thread should have generic and specific ideas, settings and rules.

I'll start with a generic idea from @alwaysrockin777: Alcohol plays a big part. Now it's hard to mandate consumption but too many can make a game much harder.

I know some people like long play times but this is bad for league play.

So have at it, what are your ideas?

#2 7 years ago

Here's specific tips for Bally Viking:
    1. Tune the saucer to shoot straight down the middle requiring a saving move.
    2. Tight Tilt
    3. Remove the large rubbers from the outlane and use post rubbers to make saves harder.

#3 7 years ago

Keep all your games waxed and angled at 6.5° No grandpa-mode!
    -mof

#4 7 years ago

Posts on EMs can have liberal and conservative settings, allowing for less/more space for the ball to pass thru. These additional holes are hidden under the base of the post.

#5 7 years ago

Adding white or black lightning flippers to a Williams game can make it more challenging. I did this with Sorcerer.
    Also removed the center post...
    -mof

#6 7 years ago

use a timer of some sort. maximum one minute ball time. once the minute is up, let it drain. see who can get more done with the same amount of time.

#7 7 years ago

Open up the outlanes all the way, remove any center posts, set it up steep, and install zipper or two inch flippers.

#8 7 years ago

My suggestion for the most difficulty is to remove the flippers completely.

#9 7 years ago

7.5 degrees on classic Stern SS machines. Crazy fast.

#10 7 years ago

One of the games we play at league is Swords of Fury and some players have started to do to well at it (long ball times too).

Some of the things done: Lightning flipper on the upper.
    Remove the rubber from the inlane post.

But it remains a long playing game.

Here's one thing I'd like to try: tighten up the sling switches. The ball slides past the left sling when coming down from the upper playfield. Sensitive slings would put you in jeopardy and take to focus off of the upper playfield as a source of easy points.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from alwaysrockin777:

7.5 degrees on classic Stern SS machines. Crazy fast.

It still gets rolled though!

#12 7 years ago

If you want it harder just open up those side drains and up the tilt setting.

#13 7 years ago

On a serious note, have you tried glo balls and installing super bands on the flippers?

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from Redknight87:

On a serious note, have you tried glo balls and installing super bands on the flippers?

interesting thought. Do they play like powerball?

#15 7 years ago

They have a coating on the ball and they are lighter from what I understand. I am not familiar with what the powerball from TZ is made from. I put one in No fear and CFTBL one time and holy hell, that ball zoomed all over the place!

#16 7 years ago

EBs off
    Hair-trigger tilts
    Remove oulane posts
    Waxed
    High pitch
    Remove center posts (if any)

#17 7 years ago

some great suggestions here. What about game specific settings that influence gameplay?

#18 7 years ago

2nd on setting up the slings as sensitive as possible. My slings fire if a ball hits the outside of the top post.

On my Spectrum I disabled the flipper hold, so you press the button and the flipper just goes up and comes right back down. Makes drop catching very interesting.

7+ degrees on playfields, regardless of the age of the game

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

some great suggestions here. What about game specific settings that influence gameplay?

EMs not much you can do except 3-ball
    SS set some settings via dip switches that would make it hard
    DMD put it on Extra Hard or whatever setting is the toughest to start and complete modes.

Turn off Ball Save

#20 7 years ago

Make players do hand swaps. I.e. Left hand on right flipper, right hand on left flipper.

#21 7 years ago

Unplug the DMD

Or take out the controlled lights fuse...

#22 7 years ago

super bright led's everywhere, especially the flashers with numerous leds in them. turn the lights off and be so blinded you cant see

#23 7 years ago

This is a great topic!

Here is my formula for making games more difficult:

- Set game specific rules to hard (or in some cases easy - I set Last Crusade on IJ08 to easy, as you get locked into that mode).
    - Reduce time to complete modes, re-light MB, etc.
    - Turn off Ball Save.
    - Turn off Exta Ball.
    - Turn off additional ball save features, like the pop up post on Harley Davidson or Family Guy.
    - Widen outlanes.
    - Align flips slightly lower. I may investigate different coil stops to allow for proper resting-flip alignment, but less travel, and therefore less ability to trap, if possible.
    - Tighten tilt.
    - Adjust Kicks and Pops to be more sensitive.
    - Install 23/64" black rubbers on inlane posts - less up bounce at outlanes.
    - Remove inlane post rubbers on some games. I have Sopranos and Dirty Harry this way.
    - On center posts I either remove the rubber, or install a black 23/64". I don't remove the post, though.
    - I've put lightning flippers on games that shouldn't have them. I did this on Batman Dark Knight.
    - Install regular white rubber on kickers.
    - Install Titan rings on all single post applications. If above outlanes then more down bounce.
    - Install SuperBand rings in multi-post ring applications. If above outlanes more down bounce.
    - Install SuperBand post sleeves where applicable - huge rebound in my experience, very punishing for missed shots.
    - Use regular flipper rubber. Red and yellow are my most used. I think these make trapping harder, but that may also be an incorrect opinion on my part - I was told that black rubbers may be more difficult, but I ain't cleaning up after that crap.
    - I haven't tried this on my EMs, but I heard folks use to replace stock pop bumpers with the next-following generation pops, so that they are more powerful. I'm not sure if this is actually doable, or smart, but it sounds interesting.
    - Clean and Wax.

My decision for Titan or SuperBand rings is also to limit maintenance, as they should last longer than regular rubber. I don't mind rotating and changing Flipper or Kicker rubbers more frequently, and I prefer the feeling of these over Titans or SuperBands in these applications.

#24 7 years ago

For sure no extra ball.

Because most leagues won't let you play it anyways.

Oops I am incomplete in my responses.

#25 7 years ago

No EB
    No BS
    Open outlanes

That was how Main street Mayhem worked last year. They didn't even adjust the steepness. It worked great.

I was amused by the complaints from people about no ball save. I'm a novice but I didn't have any trouble because I reminded myself every time. Most players, even the really good ones, would forget and lose their ball.

If your league players get used to that then it's probably time to swap games out.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

No EB
    No BS
    Open outlanes
    That was how Main street Mayhem worked last year. They didn't even adjust the steepness. It worked great.
    I was amused by the complaints from people about no ball save. I'm a novice but I didn't have any trouble because I reminded myself every time. Most players, even the really good ones, would forget and lose their ball.
    If your league players get used to that then it's probably time to swap games out.

I really like the simplicity of this approach.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I was amused by the complaints from people about no ball save.

You can tell how long they've been playing pinball. lol.

I say take it back to the days of no ball save and tilt ends game. That'll definitely learn them!

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You can tell how long they've been playing pinball. lol.
    I say take it back to the days of no ball save and tilt ends game. That'll definitely learn them!

Tilts were pretty tight as well but I think that was normal for the location.

It was really hilarious. TWD was brutal for a lot of them but I got multiball every time I played it and kept winning games on it.

The first day I was second to last but the second day I did a lot better after figuring out the ball save and tilt.

It definitely changed strategy and kept scores close.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Here's specific tips for Bally Viking:
    1. Tune the saucer to shoot straight down the middle requiring a saving move.
    2. Tight Tilt

Sorry, but this combination is not a good one IMO. Specifically, making a saucer shoot SDTM. That's just cheap, and combine with a tight tilt for no fun and pissed off players.

Quoted from schudel5:

EMs not much you can do except 3-ball

A lot of EMs have conservative/liberal settings for things via jones plugs under the PF.
    But lots of good advice in this thread!

Tight tilts are good, but TOO tight is not very fun, so try to use "super tight tilt" as a last resort.
    Slingshot adjustments can be a BIG diff. in play, getting a great tourney-ready adjustment will probably require cleaning the switch and a fresh rubber helps prevent chatter, as well as playing nice. (I say new rubber on bottom half of PF when u can B4 comp.)
    Fresh wax, outlane posts, and game settings (software) are easy things with big benefits too.

Some games are just going to play long, esp. when a good player has a good game, that's kinda the idea of pinball.
    But if everyone is having a long game, it's time to make a change.
    Good luck, I think adjusting games in these ways is a very fun thing to experiment with.

#31 7 years ago

+1 to:
    Turn off EB.
    Turn off or minimize Ball save.
    Tight, but reasonable tilts that lets the player get away with one good save, and allows for nuanced nudging.
    Sensitive slings.

As needed:
    Open outlanes, or remove lane post rubber, or remove lane posts entirely (start with the first, and see if it's effective before going extreme).
    Adjust the pitch -- but keep in mind that some games actually play HARDER when you have it slightly less steep, because it results in more side-to-side action, putting the ball more at risk for outlanes.
    Change flipper rubber -- I don't advocate for Super Bands. In fact, I would try NOT to use them, because IMHO they make flipper skills much easier and thus, the pin is easier to play.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

Tight, but reasonable tilts that lets the player get away with one good save, and allows for nuanced nudging.

This is big for me. Adjust the pitch, outlanes, slings, wax, whatever however you want. I believe you should be allowed 1 big move or a few really nuanced ones. It's still strategic and frankly it's exciting.

#33 7 years ago

If it's an EM, you could try putting it on high-tap. This will give the pops, flippers and slingshots a little more power and make it play faster and more challenging.

-Doug

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-make-a-pin-more-challenging-to-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.