Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by 11earl
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_11855.jpg
    TSPP_on_dolly.jpg
    Appliance_truck.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Hi,

Picking up my first local pin today.

I've read what I can about wrapping/prepping the pin for move, but am having trouble visualizing how to get it onto the appliance dolly I borrowed.

Can someone enumerate the steps I should take to disassemble the pin, get it onto the dolly, then in the van?

Thank you.

#2 11 years ago

I assume you are talking about something like this:

Appliance_truck.jpgAppliance_truck.jpg

With the backbox folded and secured, the pin should be resting on its back (the part where the backbox latch is), with the coindoor facing up. You then secure the pin to the dolly so that the underside of the pin rests against the dolly, and the lip of the dolly goes underneath and supports the back of the pin.

#3 11 years ago

Bring some blankets or padding of some sort.

1. Remove all balls from the game.
    (either in settings or by slightly lifting the playfield and by hand actuate the solenoid that fires the ball into the trough. catching the balls as they go into the shooter lane.)

2. Find key inside coin door on hook to fold down the backbox.
    (I usually keep the backglass up in the cab with me)
    If it is a translite and not glass I will leave it in the machine.

3. Wrap the center/back of the machine in blanket or plastic wrap. Strap the folded header onto the main cabinet. Either with zip ties or with a moving strap.
    (Make sure you keep all artwork covered with blanket or wrap)

4. Remove the back legs and place the machine gently on the ground.
    ( I would set down pad or cardboard)

5. Pivot machine onto its back.
    (you will notice on the back of the machine lower half there are 4 white tabs that stick out.) This is what the machine sets on for transport or storage.

6. Remove front legs. (make sure you keep track of keys and leg bolts)

7. Pick up with dolly from the bottom side of the machine (opposite the glass side)

8. Strap to dolly ensuring that no art is going to be rubbed off by metal or moving straps.

I usually move with a pinball dolly but this is reverse order to getting pins new in the box.

If there are any errors community will correct

Best of luck and remember Backglass, keys, legs and leg bolts.

#4 11 years ago

This is the position it should be in when you move it:

TSPP_on_dolly.jpgTSPP_on_dolly.jpg

#5 11 years ago

Thanks gweempose

I could not find a picture so I just tried to describe it.

The long way

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I could not find a picture so I just tried to describe it ...

It was a great description!

#7 11 years ago

I leave the front legs on and drive the cart with them and then it will make it easy to set down and load.

I always make sure that the lockdown bar is truly locked.

#8 11 years ago

forget the dolly, now is a good time to buy a harbor frieght table ($159) and mod the handle.

one of the best tools you can buy. even with 1 pin. you'll use it alot more than you think.

image_11855.jpgimage_11855.jpg

#9 11 years ago

I'm going to pick up my harbor freight table tomorrow.

So sick of moving them around by myself without some kind of lift.

#10 11 years ago

A couple of things...

Make sure the back glass is locked into the game. Else it'll probably rattle lose and fall out when you open the head.

Also use a piece of cardboard on the bottom of the game. Like when you load the game into your truck...before you put the game on the concrete\black top slip a piece of cardboard under it. It will protect the edges from getting scraped up when you tip it around

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Also use a piece of cardboard on the bottom of the game. Like when you load the game into your truck...before you put the game on the concrete\black top slip a piece of cardboard under it. It will protect the edges from getting scraped up when you tip it around ...

Excellent advice. I usually lay a blanket down for this very purpose.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

Forget the dolly, now is a good time to buy a Harbor Freight table ...

Sometimes a dolly/appliance truck is necessary. A lift table wouldn't really do me much good as far as getting pins in and out of my basement.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm going to pick up my harbor freight table tomorrow.
    So sick of moving them around by myself without some kind of lift.

Better than the Sears/pin lifter combo? How do you mod the handle?

#14 11 years ago

I am just going to follow other peoples advice and either put the elbow on it, or just shorten it all together.

I have my pins in the garage, so the harbor freight table lift will meet my needs. I just get tired of moving them around myself. Right now they are blocking a considerable amount of my shelving until I redo the garage, so I end up moving them a decent bit.

#15 11 years ago

I prefer this harbor freight model (It's what I use)...Much beefier, larger platform, and the handle is more easily modifiable.

http://www.mini-lathe.com/reviews/hy_table/hytbl.htm

#17 11 years ago

First time I saw someone do this I thought I was in for a good show (game falling to the ground and the like) but it actually does work.

#18 11 years ago

Right now I slide under it on my stomach, then lift up with my back to slide a rag under each foot.

Then I can slowly slide it around like it has those furniture mover things on it. I confess, I've left the rags under the feet the last few times, heh.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

now is a good time to buy a harbor frieght table ($159) and mod the handle.
    one of the best tools you can buy. even with 1 pin. you'll use it alot more than you think.

Just picked one up. Do not forget to go online and do a search for an in store coupon. I found a 20% off one and got this table for 127.99!

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Sometimes a dolly/appliance truck is necessary. A lift table wouldn't really do me much good as far as getting pins in and out of my basement.

Heh, that was my exact thought.

Then again, having six different places where you have pins, four of which are down different flights of stairs and one which has a sort of uneven floor, it makes the lift table less useful. Also, it's importnat to note that if you have a low ceiling, they get much less useful. I got a pro pinball mover one from the olden days, and I can't use it in my basement because the pins have almost no clearance.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

I prefer this harbor freight model (It's what I use)...Much beefier, larger platform, and the handle is more easily modifiable.
    http://www.mini-lathe.com/reviews/hy_table/hytbl.htm

Wow that Handle mod looks perfect! Wonder were you get something like that.
    I'm using the elbows at the moment but that setup would be the better route.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from tekhmaster:

Wow that Handle mod looks perfect! Wonder were you get something like that.
    I'm using the elbows at the moment but that setup would be the better route.

It's not a mod....that's how the handle comes on that unit....you can fold it forward or backward. It's the heavy duty 1000lb lift so it's a little more pricey than the 400 lb lift. The dang thing weighs nearly 200lbs itself.

#23 11 years ago

I'm thinking Ill probably spring for the 1000lb one. I can think of enough uses that I will definitely get my money out of it.

Just having a cart that can hold 1000lbs is a plus.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm thinking Ill probably spring for the 1000lb one. I can think of enough uses that I will definitely get my money out of it.
    Just having a cart that can hold 1000lbs is a plus.

only probably is putting it in a vehicle (truck, suv etc), if you're going solo. it's a clunky mess at 200lbs. can't see needing a 1000lb lift if a machine is only 300lbs. overkill imo. 100lbs is easier to work with. if it's never gonna leave the house, then i guess it doesn't matter.

#25 11 years ago

I could probably get away with the lighter one, but MOAR POWER!!

Right?

#26 11 years ago

Don't forget the PbLifter weight less and works really well.
    I'm not only the inventor I am also a client.
    Going to be a at both York and Expo. Weights only 94 pounds total.
    http://www.pinballlifter.com

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

It's not a mod....that's how the handle comes on that unit....you can fold it forward or backward. It's the heavy duty 1000lb lift so it's a little more pricey than the 400 lb lift. The dang thing weighs nearly 200lbs itself.

Ahhh, ok. Shame they don't sell the lighter model with that same setup. :\
    Much more convenient.

#28 11 years ago

Also don't forget, the 500lb lift will fit in between the front and back legs of a pinball machine while the 1000lb lift will not.

#29 11 years ago

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies.

I do not have a lift, but I'm pretty sure it would have been extremely difficult to move out of the seller's house and into mine without the appliance two-wheeler.

We wrapped a roll of bubble wrap around the whole body and back box, then secured it with plastic wrap. I then put cardboard over the bubble wrap before putting down the back box. Furniture pads completed the protection layer .

TAF fired right up in its new home without a hiccup - or any *additional* hiccups, I should say.

Thanks again.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-load-pin-on-appliance-dolly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.