• Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

arrowsNBAFB.jpg
20140602_182244.jpg

#1 8 years ago

Can someone help me out with pictures on what the actual linkage of 2 NBA Fastbreak games looks like? I mean inside the cabinets.

I bought an NBAFB and i found some sort of cable inside the cabinet, thought it was a link cable. Not sure though, looks like the kind of cable you could use for computers. And there's another NBAFB for sale not that far from me, so i might want to buy that one too and link them. Thing is, I'm not a technician at all, so i'll be needing some visual references on how to link them.

And I suppose I'll be needing another set of roms too, right?

#3 8 years ago

Had not heard of this feature. Not a huge NBA fan but that does seem like it would be really cool.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Mentara:

I bought an NBAFB and i found some sort of cable inside the cabinet, thought it was a link cable. Not sure though, looks like the kind of cable you could use for computers. And there's another NBAFB for sale not that far from me, so i might want to buy that one too and link them. Thing is, I'm not a technician at all, so i'll be needing some visual references on how to link them.
And I suppose I'll be needing another set of roms too, right?

That cable is a null modem cable, yes both games must have the latest software. Speak to these guys http://www.ukpinball.com/ they hold a linked NBA comp every year

#5 8 years ago

I've played this head to head - it's super fun and now I want two!

viperrwk

1 year later
#6 7 years ago

So... does anyone actually have the wiring diagram for the link cable?

As far as I can tell from the schematics, J607 is:

1: Ground (through R49)
2: TxD
3: RxD
4: CTS
5: RTS
6: DTR
7: DSR
8: Key
9: RI
10: DCD

Obviously (for any null modem cable):
TxD <--> RxD
CTS <--> RTS

Most likely:
DSR <--> DTR

Normally DCD is connected to DSR... but where's RI connect (if at all).

#7 7 years ago

Only needs 3 wires.
Machine A to Machine B
Pin 1 to pin 1 = ground
Pin 2 to pin 3 = tx
pin 3 to pin 2 = rx

Had some spare .100 wired connectors and spliced them together. Easy.

20140602_182244.jpg

1 week later
#8 7 years ago

Bizarre that they used a 7x level converter MAX for full flow control if they're only going to hook up TX and RX...

Thanks for the info!

5 months later
#9 7 years ago

Hey Pinsiders. I'm currently attempting to link both of my NBAFBs together but both of my AV boards are missing the IC chips that I have arrowed in yellow. So I need to know the numbers on these chips so that I can find and then finish my linking task. If anyone out there has these chips, please take photos of these chips that clearly show their topside #'s and then post them here.
Thank You in advance
~Steveo

arrowsNBAFB.jpg
#10 7 years ago

By the way, these are the U22 and the U24 locations on the WPC95 A/V board.
Thanks again.
~Steveo

#11 7 years ago

When I click on the photo, I can zoom in and see it clearly, but here are links where I bought:

Top is:
MAXIM
MAX239CNG

I bought this chip from digi-key:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MAX239CNG%2B/MAX239CNG%2B-ND/1016382

Bottom is:
TI (Texas Instruments)
TL16C550CN

I bought this from Jameco:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_288809_-1

The original called for a TL16C450, but is no longer available, and this chip is a suitable replacement.

Millz

#12 7 years ago

Thank You Millz! Much appreciated!!
Cheers!
~Steveo

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside