(Topic ID: 258695)

How to lift a 1969 Gottlieb Spin-A-Card playfield?

By cyberslunk

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I can't seem to find any guide on how to lift the playfield on a Gottlieb EM, specifically a 1969 Spin-A-Card. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 4 years ago

With the game off (no power), open the coin door. On the upper edge of the coin door will be a triangular shaped lever that will slide to the left. Slide it to the left. That will allow you to remove the chrome lockdown bar and slide out the playfield glass.

The next part is the most important! Remove the ball! If not, it will drop out of the playfield when you lift it and smash either the plastic playfield parts or if you’re really unlucky, the backglass.

You just simply lift the playfield by putting your hand under the sheet metal apron where the ball drains, and lift upward. It will pivot near the back and there will be a prop rod inside the cabinet that you can use to hold it in the sloped up position.

#3 4 years ago

Gotemwill's detailed instructions are exact. The only thing I would add is that if this is like my 1965 Bank-a-ball, there is an additional lock inside the cabinet that you have to pull toward you as you lift up on the playfield. It's a big brass bar that spans the width of the playfield............

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from TeaHaus:

Gotemwill's detailed instructions are exact. The only thing I would add is that if this is like my 1965 Bank-a-ball, there is an additional lock inside the cabinet that you have to pull toward you as you lift up on the playfield. It's a big brass bar that spans the width of the playfield............

My Gottlieb King of Diamonds (1967) has that odd playfield lock down bar just like you mentioned.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Gotemwill:

With the game off (no power), open the coin door. On the upper edge of the coin door will be a triangular shaped lever that will slide to the left. Slide it to the left. That will allow you to remove the chrome lockdown bar and slide out the playfield glass.
The next part is the most important! Remove the ball! If not, it will drop out of the playfield when you lift it and smash either the plastic playfield parts or if you’re really unlucky, the backglass.
You just simply lift the playfield by putting your hand under the sheet metal apron where the ball drains, and lift upward. It will pivot near the back and there will be a prop rod inside the cabinet that you can use to hold it in the sloped up position.

Perfect, thank you so much. So simple yet I was afraid of doing it wrong.

#6 4 years ago

No bar here but thanks for looking out guys

#7 4 years ago

I believe "Spin A Card" does have the playfield auto-clamp. You must reach inside through the coin door, and pull the flat metal bar, about one third into the cabinet, toward you, and then lift the playfield by the card tray opening.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I believe "Spin A Card" does have the playfield auto-clamp. You must reach inside through the coin door, and pull the flat metal bar, about one third into the cabinet, toward you, and then lift the playfield by the card tray opening.

The playfield locking bar ended at some point during production in late 1968. Spin A Card is one of the first games without it.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Gotemwill:

The playfield locking bar ended at some point during production in late 1968. Spin A Card is one of the first games without it.

You are indeed correct. My first pin ever was a "Hearts and Spades", and I thought it had the clamp. That was a long time ago, so the memory becomes foggy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-lift-a-1969-gottlieb-spin-a-card-playfield- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.