(Topic ID: 166569)

How to know when your Sega DMD is toast besides the obvious...

By dgoodspeed

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Jtm3
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

So I have a Baywatch. Played a TON of games on Sunday and everything was fine until the end of the games. I noticed a dark spot starting to appear in the lower right corner. Had never noticed it for the time I have owned it so wasn't sure if it was always there or showed up Sunday. Usually play this sucker about 3-5 times a week.

Anyway...went into the room to fire it up and guess what. I smelled something that reminded me of a musty burned popcorn and you're right. No display. Dead. No flicker and dead...just straight up dead. No power surges in the house, no storms lately (been there, done that) so everything is just normal around here.

Game fires up, plays great, no blown fuses. Everything "looks" and feels great but the display.

Is there something I need to check or might have missed looking at or is it safe to assume I'm shopping for a new display?

I'm prepared to take the news. ?

#2 7 years ago

You will probably need a new display. You should check your voltages going to the display to ensure you don't burn out a new display.

#3 7 years ago

Yeah I'm coming to grips with the cash pouring out of my pocket. I'll check the voltages cause well that would suck even worse blowing up a second one.

Thanks!!!

#4 7 years ago

Cld use dmd extender and get some color and its cheaper

#5 7 years ago

Rapplebox has a thread on here titled: Who needs a Sega 192x64 Replacement? Looks like a good solution. Also PinballLife had some new plasma dmd's a while back if you want the original look.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.00
$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 259.00
$ 22.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-know-when-your-sega-dmd-is-toast-besides-the-obvious and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.