How to justify ST LE over ST Pro?

By rai

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

OK the price difference is $3200 which you can drive a used Stern pin thru.

However I have heard of people already adding $1300 to the pro from Refinery for extra Bling so there is a definite amount of people that would bling a pro without changing the actual playfield like the premium and LE do.

I agree the differences are mainly cosmetic such as colored legs or wider side rails and head emblems and etched side rails, but there are some functional differences such as kick back, VUK, metal ramps (just a few that I can think of).

Lets just say you buy both and want to sell both later on, assuming the pro does not play better than the LE (which I don't see anyone saying) resale your LE is going to be worth ~$1200. (I don't doubt that) suppose in the future you want to sell ST pro for $3300 you could sell a LE for $4500 (I don't doubt this) Let's just subtract $1200 off the top. - This includes the signature and rarity factors.

So down to $2000 difference.

I am going to round to nearest $100 just to make it easy.

-Shaker I would put this value at $200
-60 RGB inserts, I am not talking the price of the bulbs, I am talking if someone wanted to make a mod for the pro along the line of Eli ramp for Tron. $300
-Side cabinet emblems, mirrored back glass, and speaker trim $300
-Etched and lighted side rails (Bling Bling) this is a better looking exterior trim package than I have seen it looks pretty f-en cool. $300
-Extra movement on spaceship, Enterprise toy, kickback, up kicker, metal ramps, warp chase lights, disco laser and asteroid flashers (meh) but I'll say $400.
-PF support rail and lockdown bar, color legs and side rails $200.

$1700 for 'added features', was looking for $2000 so it's a net $300 more than the 'book value' I have priced the extras at but other than the shaker and the Enterprise toy, asteroids, most of these features would be hard to add for instance kickback would be no code etc...

So, if you would want most of those bling things such as 60 RGB led's, etched siderails, color trim, metal speaker trim etc.. and then you prefer the art some amount to make up the extra $300.

#2 10 years ago

That's about right.

#3 10 years ago

I can make the same case to buy the premium over the pro ($2000) difference (some amount of resale value better call it $700 better) my example selling a used pro for $3300 the premium should be worth $4000 (I would think).

So you are looking at $1300 you need to find in the extra features such as kick back, VUK, metal ramps, RGB lights, laser, asteroids, moving ship, warp lights, PF supports, colored legs, side armor, better art package etc..

#4 10 years ago

Add up the actual differences between ac/dc prem and BIB
Cabinet art and back glass = double the price??
Some things can not be measured in BOM alone
Coolness factor is hard to put a price once a machine is out of production

#5 10 years ago

hypothetically you would lose the least money on the pro, for example looking to loose $1000 if you sell at $3500 so the 'value' option is certainly in the favor of the pro. If you had to sell the ST LE for lets say $5700 you would be out $2000.

But my resale figures are conservative, meaning I think a LE or a Premium could be worth somewhat more ($1500 or $2000) than the pro, for example the ACDC premium is probably worth $1500 more than the ACDC pro. I assume a good deal on ACDC pro is $3500 and good deal on ACDC premium is $5500.

#6 10 years ago

Is it just me or have you posted like 50 threads about stuff like this? LOL

If you break down the BOM, you'll never find a justification to buy the LE over the Pro (or Premium). Honestly I think the Premium and LEs sorta subsidize the Pro to some extent.

Here's how you justify it - you just f'n want it, and buy it if you're able to do so responsibly.

#7 10 years ago

Its easy, its better. That's how you justify it, its a limited edition and looks better, thus playing it is more fun and there you have it. Man these post's are getting stupid when it comes to ST LE. Can someone explain it please? Why are pinsiders so desperate to justify either their purchase of a pro or the lack of funds to buy an LE. I'm happy for anyone who can buy the LE version of a pinball machine they like.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

hypothetically you would lose the least money on the pro, for example looking to loose $1000 if you sell at $3500 so the 'value' option is certainly in the favor of the pro. If you had to sell the ST LE for lets say $5700 you would be out $2000.

No one would ever sell an LE for $5700 because the Premium probably won't even sell for $5700 (for a while at least, anyway). The prices will always be relative to each other - I think any resale "loss" will be about even no matter what model you get....but - the only one with a shot at breaking even or gaining is LE. No guarantee - but more likely than Pro or Prem.

#9 10 years ago

Sorry, Rai - I had to stalk your posts to see how many ST ones there were lol I stopped after page one...there may be more

-How to justify ST LE over ST Pro? by rai
-ST LE real good pin or initial euphoria? by rai
-STLE or Premium or Pro? by rai
-What would you take ST LE or nice AFM? by rai
-SM or ST? by rai
-ST or AcDc Premium? by rai
-Would you have been a buyer of ST LE at $6600? by rai
-New poll, Predator or ST pro? by rai
-Do you think Star Trek will be a better game than Predator?

#10 10 years ago

Sorry if I am upsetting you guys, it's a free world anyway. I was just trying to see if I could see where the $3200 went.

It's like Black Spiderman is worth $2000 more than a regular SM just for looks? At least the LE/Premium have some features aside from just looks.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Sorry, Rai - I had to stalk your posts to see how many ST ones there were lol I stopped after page one...there may be more

Again Rarehero it's a free world, if you don't care to look just ignore my posts.

I have not got banned or warned by a moderator, your post is the first I have ever got someone talking smack.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Sorry if I am upsetting you guys, it's a free world anyway. I was just trying to see if I could see where the $3200 went.
It's like Black Spiderman is worth $2000 more than a regular SM just for looks? At least the LE/Premium have some features aside from just looks.

I'm not upset...just havin fun with you cuz you seem kind of obsessed

Black Spider-Man was only like $500 or so more than red when it was released....people pay more for it for the same reason they pay more for an Addams Gold. It's limited and different. So - if you're worried about resale - your best bet is LE. Like I said, if the LE loses value its because they've all lost value, and your loss will be the same whether you get a Pro/Prem/LE.

Quoted from rai:

Again Rarehero it's a free world, if you don't care to look just ignore my posts.
I have not got banned or warned by a moderator, your post is the first I have ever got someone talking smack.

Just a friendly poke in the ribs, buddy...it's all good...no smack talk.

#13 10 years ago

Just tell yourself you deserve it and go get one.

LTG : )

#14 10 years ago

Sorry, but some people just don't know everything about everything. I come to this forum to talk about Pinball or talk about the Patriots (or whatever) and if I was debating weather to buy an AFM or a ST LE (because I think those two game are somewhat similar) that's what I do.

Some of my polls get over a hundred of votes. That means people vote on the poll. So, to me that means some people don't mind if I make a poll asking if AFM or ST LE which happen to be space pins which both cost a pretty penny.

#15 10 years ago

I really dont think STLE is for you, at least for now. Pro is the way to go, and you probably lose the least amount of money since you are really concerned about the resale value and all. $3000 difference is too much of a gamble for you at this point. Hey, you can always pick one (LE) up down the road if you play the game and really love it, cuz they made 799 of them.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Just tell yourself you deserve it and go get one.
LTG : )

Yea, I won one FF league already, and 1st or 2nd place in two other medium money leagues, I could probably afford it

#17 10 years ago

Rarehero knows it is a free world. But he is right. You won't find it in the bill of materials. You figure it out by deciding if it is the game you want. Then you buy it and play the snot out of it. And he is also correct that it is a lot of posts to decide on a game. Buy the pro, it makes the most sense given your criteria, and play it like it is the last pin in the world.

#18 10 years ago

STLE > ST pro > WOZ > All versions of Metallica

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Its easy, its better. That's how you justify it, its a limited edition and looks better, thus playing it is more fun and there you have it.

This is a pretty silly comment that makes no sense. "it looks better so it is more fun" ok then . All versions of the game play pretty much the same so that makes no sense, they are all fun. You should have just said [it looks better so it is funner].

Quoted from rai:

-60 RGB inserts, I am not talking the price of the bulbs, I am talking if someone wanted to make a mod for the pro along the line of Eli ramp for Tron. $300
-Side cabinet emblems, mirrored back glass, and speaker trim $300
-PF support rail and lockdown bar, color legs and side rails $200.

I don't know why you keep trying to justify your purchase or soon to be purchase to yourself? STLE is a good game, you bought it and are happy, that's all that matters. I do think some of your pricing is WAY to low though. If you know someone that will change all my inserts to clear ones and put all colour changing boards that tie into the backbox into my machine for the low price of $300, please give me his info because I will do it. The backglass alone is worth $300, nevermind the metal speaker panel and side emblems. And if you know someone selling an entire armor package with a real lockdown bar and support rails for only $200, wow point me in his direction. I hope you are enjoying your game rai (if you have it yet), ST is a super fun game and addicting as heck.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Side cabinet emblems, mirrored back glass, and speaker trim $300

A true mirrored backglass is a really nice addition. You would not be able to buy a black spider man backglass for $300. Heck, a NOS Gorgar mirrored backglass (of which there were many) just sold for $350 on EBay a month ago or so.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I do think some of your pricing is WAY to low though. If you know someone that will change all my inserts to colour changers and put all colour changing boards that tie into the backbox into my machine for the low price of $300, please give me his info because I will do it. The backglass alone is worth $300, nevermind the metal speaker panel and side emblems. And if you know someone selling an entire armor package with a real lockdown bar and support rails for only $200, wow point me in his direction. I hope you are enjoying your game rai (if you have it), ST is a super fun game and addicting as heck.

I went way low, I mean just the arcade mod and Eli ramp mod for Tron is $600 plus if you have to pay someone to install it that's another $100 (ish) $700 right there, 3d translight for Tron is another $250. that's about $950 just for those 3 Tron mods.

#22 10 years ago

color changing inserts in STLE are bad ass!!!

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

STLE > ST pro > WOZ > All versions of Metallica

Where does the premium fall?

#24 10 years ago

You can't justify it. There is no rational reason. Accept that and buy it or don't, but trying to make it into a spreadsheet is pointless.

I'd never buy it, to me an LE is just a waste if money. Maybe some theme will tempt me someday, haven't seen it yet. Gonna happily play Rarehero's or Robert's though. Made them happy to buy it, more power to them both.

Edit: if I loved the game I could justify a Premium no problem. I just can't justify the LE tax. To each their own.

#25 10 years ago

Why do people think the ST pro doesn't have the kickback feature? I own a pro and it certainly has the kickback on it!

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Manbearpig:

Why do people think the ST pro doesn't have the kickback feature? I own a pro and it certainly has the kickback on it!

What do you think a kick back is?

#27 10 years ago

ok, I spoke too soon. I was thinking that everyone was talking about the vengance
kicker. I didn't realize it had a ball save feature, my bad.

#28 10 years ago

If you have the disposable income or funds, get the LE. If you are on a tighter budget, you will be very happy with the Pro. I have the LE and think the extras were worth the extra cost. I have also played the Pro and it is great fun and does not feel like it's missing anything.

#29 10 years ago

Buy the one you want or can afford & enjoy.

#30 10 years ago

If you're concerned about the $3200 that it costs to get the LE then you probably shouldn't get it.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

If you're concerned about the $3200 that it costs to get the LE then you probably shouldn't get it.

LEs are like anything limited and high priced in life......... I have and you don't! lol that's one factor... a show off factor.

#32 10 years ago

Justify?? Hahahaha! Ah, that cracks me up.

#33 10 years ago

The "justify" variance is in the margin that Stern recognizes in the sale of every LE which is higher than the pro.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

The "justify" variance is in the margin that Stern recognizes in the sale of every LE which is higher than the pro.

+1

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Oklahoma City, OK
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-justify-st-le-over-st-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.