(Topic ID: 275806)

How to interpret Bally switch test display?

By jfh

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Arcane
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Playboy_Switch_test.gif
#1 3 years ago

When pressing switch test on a 78 Bally Playboy the player one display shows “327 1” and credit shows “07”.

How should I interpret that? When a game is started the January target immediately is triggered (light goes on) and scores continuously so the switch is stuck on. The January target is switch 27 so I figure the 27 in 327 refers to that. But what do the other numbers indicate?

#2 3 years ago

Definitely something wrong with your MPU board or the wiring of the test switch.
When pressing the switch once, you should go into Lamp Test mode, where all the switched lights are blinking.
After pressing four of five times, you should be in Switch test mode and only the credit display will show the last closed switch on the matrix.
All other displays are blank.

Yves

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

After pressing four of five times, you should be in Switch test mode and only the credit display will show the last closed switch on the matrix.
All other displays are blank.

Match display shows 0 when nothing else closed.

Switch test # will show in all 4 player displays.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Match display shows 0 when nothing else closed.
Switch test # will show in all 4 player displays.

Well, I am using Alltek boards and there may be slight differences between the various boards.

It is true that during the test phases, all displays are being used....except for the Switches test. In that case and only in that case, the Credit display is the only one being used.

Yves

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Well, I am using Alltek boards and there may be slight differences between the various boards.
It is true that during the test phases, all displays are being used....except for the Switches test. In that case and only in that case, the Credit display is the only one being used.
Yves

Not if they're using the factory software, which according to a spreadsheet I made from a long time ago shows that they are using the pinmame romid function. Other software of course might be different - but the factory Playboy software does it the way I described. Which software are you using that operates this way I'd like to take a look at it in the dump I have of the Alltek rom?

For the OP there shouldn't be anything showing on the credit display, the '27' should show in the 10s (2) and 1's (7) digits on the displays. The error with the switch is likely from a shorted switch capaictor which they should cut off, test, and then replace.

#6 3 years ago

The boards in the game are original, not Alltek. I wasn’t expecting the results I saw based on what’s in the manual but got confused when I saw the 27 after the first press of the test switch.

My first thought was a short after something vibrated since the game was working properly before I put the game on a lift and moved it to another room and set it down. Had the game almost 20 years; first time I ever needed to use the test switch

#7 3 years ago

Playboy_Switch_test.gifPlayboy_Switch_test.gif

#8 3 years ago

Quench

Thank you so much for this great animation. That does make it pretty clear.

Yves

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-interpret-bally-switch-test-display?hl=arcane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.