Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by viper001
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20200217-155850_Gmail_copy_1080x1387 (resized).jpg
    20161009_073048 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballstar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 6 years ago

I own an insurance agency... This thread gets resurrected once a year...

Let me say this once... YOUR HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE WILL NOT ADEQUATELY INSURE YOUR COLLECTION. period, end of story. Just like you have to schedule / itemize and insure separately jewelry, guns, silverware, coins, etc.. etc... your homeowner policy does will insure your original MMR, but not for the $ 15,000 you think it's worth - like everything else, they will depreciate it, and will be happy to pay you $ 500 in the event of a claim for it.

DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR AGENT. I've had too many people in this hobby ask their agent he'll say 'yes, anything in your house is insured' and he's right but he and your insurance company have NO CLUE of the value of the machines. Your agent isn't lying, but there is always so much lost when that question is asked and people hear what they want to hear 'It's covered' and don't dig deeper. People argue with me 'well my agent said....' Well ask him to put in writing that he will pay out of his pocket $ 25,000 / $ 50,000 / $ 100,000 for your arcade collection and pay you $ 10,000 for your Batman LE... Then when he won't put it in writing, come back and read this post on what to do...

YOU NEED TO GET A SPECIAL 'COLLECTORS INSURANCE POLICY'... Personally for both my sports memorabilia collection and my coin op / arcade stuff I use www.collectinsure.com.... I am not associated with them in anyway, I do not write my own policy, I just found them years ago as the type of policy you need when you have a significant collectible collection of anything.

Do not debate here, do not tell people what your agent said, as all you are doing is mis-informing others with your mis-information. Sorry to be so blunt but I argue this point in a thread once a year for everyone. This is what I have done for a living for nearly 30 years in addition to PinballSTAR - so I'm only trying to steer you right.

Now back to our regularly scheduled Pinside...

#45 6 years ago

I'll add that if your company offers an 'inland marine' policy as was stated before that possibly will work as they are accepting the value you give and you are paying a premium for that - neither which exists when you 'think' your homeowners is covering it... I will however caution, when a claim occurs you'll be dealing with an adjuster who will interpret that policy to the letter of the law - your agent, his underwriter he dealt with will NOT be involved in that process. So, you'll be starting off having to explain to someone very skeptical how your 20 year old Medieval Madness restored by HEP is worth $ 15,000 when he'll find you can buy a remake for $ 8,000 - which your policy may give them the right to do - replace what was lost. Your 'collectability' value argument will fall on deaf ears.

When you deal with www.collectinsure.com this is all they do, they know what they are insuring. There are riders on the policy you will not get on a homeowners or even an inland marine... and since it was mentioned - FLOOD peril / cause of loss is one of them - they cover flood. They will cover multiple locations, they can cover transit if you contact them, they can cover shows, etc... They know what people with collectible stuff do - whether it is arcade, sports, watches, art, etc...

Again, trying to cut through the chase here - call them, look at website, get a quote and buck up and pay the premium or you can stick your head in the sand and think you are insured.

Your homeowners agent who told you it's 'in there' will later in the event of a claim stammer and say 'oh I never said that, you didn't tell me what these things were worth, your policy contact language always supersedes everything, etc....' or any other number of things he will say to distance himself from the claim situation.

www.collectinsure.com - it exists for a reason - because there is not adequate coverage on a homeowners policy. this company doesn't exist because all this stuff is covered for free on your homeowners...

Sorry for rant, I know how much we all have in our games - blood sweat tears AND money - I would hate for someone to lose all they worked for and love.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballstar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-insure-pinball-games?tu=pinballstar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.