(Topic ID: 30980)

How To Install Shaker Motor into Pirates (PoTC)

By markmon

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_0825_(resized).jpg
IMG_0822_(resized).jpg
IMG_0819_(resized).jpg
IMG_0821_(resized).jpg
IMG_0818_(resized).jpg
ps-solder.jpg
ps-location.jpg
ps-runwires.jpg
ps-ground.jpg
ps-mount.jpg
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Pirates doesn't support a shaker. But using the STTNG flasher sensing motor kit from pinbits, I have managed to install one in my Pirates. The result is fantastic, almost perfect. It goes off when you hit the ship, when you destroy the ship, when you hit the kraken, and when you get an extra ball (and all the cannons fire). Here are the steps with pictures:

1) Buy the pinbits STTNG shaker motor: http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_36&products_id=281&zenid=hf0kv6pfd6s9rcm596a1h57et4

2) Install the motor. Installed mine using the screws included in the stock Stern shaker motor location. Just screw the 4 screws in:
ps-mount.jpgps-mount.jpg

3) Install the shaker board that comes with the shaker above the shaker. Turn the white screw all the way down (I believe it was counter clockwise, but you can test. You want to make it the least powerful or it shakes too much, but you can adjust it to your liking after).

4) Attach the shaker and wiring harnesses to the board.

5) Cut the wiring harness black wire so it's shorter. See the picture below for where you will run this wire. I crimped a U shaped screw connector onto mine. You need to hook this to ground. It can be any ground you like:
ps-ground.jpgps-ground.jpg

6) Run the wires with the cabinet wires to the back of the playfield. Remember you need enough wire slack so you can lift the playfield up and put it back into position:
ps-runwires.jpgps-runwires.jpg

7) We will attach the orange and red wires to the ship flasher, flasher #32. You can easily locate this by running the flasher test for flasher 32 and seeing where it is flashing underneath the playfield.
ps-location.jpgps-location.jpg

8. We will then solder the two wires. The red goes to the red wire (power). The orange goes to the driver wire (black). I just soldered the wires onto the flasher socket. You can use alligator clips or the splicer things that come with the shaker kit to splice into the existing wires if you prefer.
ps-solder.jpgps-solder.jpg

You can test the motor by running a flasher test for the ship flasher. The pinbits board has some logic in it so it will be extremely aggressive the first flash in the test, but probably stop working after until you wait a bit. Anyway, best way to test is to play a game. So, you are done. Close up shop and enjoy

#2 11 years ago

For anyone else that wants to do this in another stern or sega game that does not support a shaker, you can follow these same instructions and use a flasher. Look in the manual for the coil / flasher chart and hook the orange wire to the "driver" side and the red wire to the "power" side of the flasher.

#3 11 years ago

I'm really looking forward to trying this on my sopranos on a flasher that syncs with the safe.
Thanks for making a step by step Mark!

2 weeks later
#4 11 years ago

Dude if this truly works which from what I see it does... You kick ass!! Thanks a lot for sharing :Ddetailed steps!! Let you know when I hook one up!!

1 week later
#5 11 years ago

Is there anyplace else that sells these? Pinbits is sold out

2 months later
#6 11 years ago

Anyone have a STTNG shaker motor yet wanna sell?

#7 11 years ago

looking at pinbits site. looks like they do the board and harness . wonder if several ordered they would do some? my cousin is looking for 1 also. so i would be in for 2 of them

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Redeyes:

Anyone have a STTNG shaker motor yet wanna sell?

The STTNG board is the wrong one, it works but there is a delay for the shields in the board.
The one you need is the AFM shaker kit which are not sold out unless the one I just bought for my PotC was the last one.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

The STTNG board is the wrong one, it works but there is a delay for the shields in the board.
The one you need is the AFM shaker kit which are not sold out unless the one I just bought for my PotC was the last one.

And how do you wire that? I believe the sttng one is the only one with ability to trigger off flasher.

#10 11 years ago

Been a while since I installed mine on afm, but I could swear it goes to a flasher.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Been a while since I installed mine on afm, but I could swear it goes to a flasher.

It does, red wire goes to the right Martian flasher.
Brad put this in his PotC and Martin told him this shaker board works better in Potc than the one for STTNG.
I am waiting for Brad to send me the wiring instructions and will post it here when I get it.
I would imagine it is the same as what Markmom posted but I don't know for sure.
I can post pics here when my shaker arrives and I install it.

#12 11 years ago

Instructions from Brad.

"The instructions tell you to connect to the right Martian flasher, you simply connect to the flasher that is just left of the ship-- the one that flashes on ship hits, sink and extra balls. There are other connections that are supposed to go to the target bank-- don't use those for anything-- tried to use them in the Tortuga, but switch matrix in Sterns is different and Martin could not figure a way to make it work. You don't need them-- it shakes enough".

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Instructions from Brad.
"The instructions tell you to connect to the right Martian flasher, you simply connect to the flasher that is just left of the ship-- the one that flashes on ship hits, sink and extra balls. There are other connections that are supposed to go to the target bank-- don't use those for anything-- tried to use them in the Tortuga, but switch matrix in Sterns is different and Martin could not figure a way to make it work. You don't need them-- it shakes enough".

what about when you hit the kraken? Markmons way worked for that..

i been waiting on pinbits to restock the STTNG shakers, im debating to just get the AFM one now.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Redeyes:

what about when you hit the kraken? Markmons way worked for that..
i been waiting on pinbits to restock the STTNG shakers, im debating to just get the AFM one now.

It looks like you wire it the same way as Markmon says to do it, you just don't use the target bank connection.
From what I am understanding the delay in the STTNG board stops the shaker from shaking on follow up hits.
I guess I will find out when I install mine but anything that makes that flasher flash will make the shaker shake since the red wire is the trigger wire.

4 weeks later
#15 11 years ago

Markmon, The wiring harness also has a purple wire? Where does that go or dosnt it? Thx!

#16 11 years ago

Hooked it up, works insanely good! Makes pirates come to life even more. Thanks a lot!

#17 11 years ago

Purple unused.

1 month later
#18 10 years ago

thanks for the info markmon and tracelifter. just took the time to install. got the AFM shaker from pinbits. the sttng shaker was sold out so i tried the AFM one. it wired up pretty much same way.just wire colors different. but works great.

#19 10 years ago

I'll bet you could diode isolate the the flasher wires and connect the shaker to more than one flasher to get more affects from the shaker.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

I'll bet you could diode isolate the the flasher wires and connect the shaker to more than one flasher to get more affects from the shaker

may give it a shot when i get time . thats a good thought.

3 weeks later
#21 10 years ago

Just installed the AFM shaker into PotC.
Red to red and purple to black on the flasher, black to ground.
Green and white are not used.
Works great!

1 week later
#22 10 years ago

Put a STTNG shaker in my POTC today following Markmons instructions and it's awesome!
You do want to ensure it's turned all the way down otherwise it's way too violent. My "white screw" on the shaker board needed to be turned clockwise to lower the severity...just FYI for those trying this in the future.
Thanks again, Markmon.

7 months later
#23 10 years ago

Just installed the AFM shaker into PotC, thanks tracelifter for the wire mapping and thanks markmon for the great post.

1 year later
#24 8 years ago

Just saw this topic linked from another thread. They are still sold out. Can you use a Red tremor shaker or any other motors? Does it have to be that exact one?

#25 8 years ago

No.

But you can use an attack from Mars shaker hooking up the pops flasher wire. Probably work better since it doesn't have logic to mitigate the repeated flashes in attract mode

#26 8 years ago

I never knew there were game-specific shakers before this thread

#27 8 years ago

oh man i want to add a shaker to my Batman Forever. way sweet

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

oh man i want to add a shaker to my Batman Forever. way sweet

I didn't even think of that that would be cool! Especially when the Batmobile rolls out in a multiball

#29 8 years ago

does the shaker know not to shake during attract mode when you do it this way?

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

does the shaker know not to shake during attract mode when you do it this way?

The ship flasher does not run during attract mode. So yea.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The ship flasher does not run during attract mode. So yea.

okay, seeing if i can rig one up in my BF, so ill have to check the flashers

#32 8 years ago

Does anyone have a source for shaker motor? Every place I check is sold out. Would love to do this on mine as well. Any help would be very appreciated . Thank you.

#33 8 years ago

so the pop bumper flasher doesnt flash in the attract mode for BF, if i can ever find a shaker for sale ill give it a shot. flashes in different game modes and when the pops are hit, could be pretty cool

#34 8 years ago

At what game and going forward were shakers supported in software at Stern ?

#35 8 years ago

Is the AFM kit in stock anywhere?

I have not been able to find one. Pinbit's site says out of stock.

#36 8 years ago

i emailed them this morning asking if they are going to make more, havent heard back yet, but if enough demand is shown maybe they will make some more? Doesnt hurt to email them and ask

6 months later
#38 7 years ago

I think it's the pcb board that transmits what to do that's important. Thus difference btwn AFM & STTNG but it's the same motor. I am a newbie though, so I really don't know.

#39 7 years ago

Aye. I tried on a red tremor. Popped a fuse on the driver board so I pulled it back out and reinstalled on another game.

Didn't take any measurements with the mm - sorry

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from visi0n:

Aye. I tried on a red tremor. Popped a fuse on the driver board so I pulled it back out and reinstalled on another game.
Didn't take any measurements with the mm - sorry

Couple questions.

1. What was your setup? Cointaker shaker motor and pcba....did you also install the adjustable speed controller?
2. Did you try this on a POTC?

#41 7 years ago

All,

For those of you that installed the Pinbits pcba controller. I know 2 wires go to the motor on the output side of the pcba. On the input side:

1. Black wire goes to GND (what pin # is that on the pinbits board and what does the board say "marking/graphic" on it for that pin ..GND?)
2. Purple wire not used....
3. Orange - goes to flasher (what pin # is that on the pinbits board and what does the board say "marking/graphic" on it for that pin?)
4. Red - goes to flasher (what pin # is that on the pinbits board and what does the board say on it for that pin?)

A picture would be great of the pcba w/o connectors installed.

Any help would be appreciated.

#42 7 years ago

I too would like to know tryed hooking up a pinbits shaker with no shake i installed the black wire to ground then the orange to the - side of the flasher then the red to the two orange wires on the flasher

#43 7 years ago

Can someone take a picture with and without the connectors installed on the pinbit printed circuit board and post.
thx

#44 7 years ago

Can someone take a picture with and without the connectors installed on the pinbit printed circuit board and post.
thx

1 week later
#45 7 years ago

This is the latest version of the AFM kit. I haven't hooked it up yet. There were a few different versions of the PCB. From what I get out of it, The red is +20V which can be gotten from the flasher + side. The trigger wire appears that some kits used blue and some used purple. Then there's the orange and purple wires in the STTNG kits. If you have the STTNG kit, I would go with the colors in the initial post in this thread. I'm relatively certain that the trigger wire goes to the drive side of the flasher. Interestingly enough, on this PCB, the blue wire is connected to the pin labeled "key". However, when you look at the bottom of the PCB, that terminal is connected to something. Black is ground and green and white aren't used for POTC. On the motor side, red is connected to the pin labeled 20V and black is connected to DRV. In the 3rd pic, you can see where the jumper is. I have no idea what the jumper does or if it will fry something if it's wrong.

IMG_0818_(resized).jpgIMG_0818_(resized).jpg
IMG_0821_(resized).jpgIMG_0821_(resized).jpg
IMG_0819_(resized).jpgIMG_0819_(resized).jpg
IMG_0822_(resized).jpgIMG_0822_(resized).jpg

#46 7 years ago

Can you take a picture of the bottom of the circuit board as well and post?

THANKS! for helping.

#47 7 years ago

OK, don't know how much good this will do, but here you are.

IMG_0825_(resized).jpgIMG_0825_(resized).jpg

#48 7 years ago

awesome!

1 week later
#49 7 years ago

I just checked PinBits - they have the STTNG in stock. Since it works for POTC, will that work in other machines? Like AFM? Or MM?

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

I just checked PinBits - they have the STTNG in stock. Since it works for POTC, will that work in other machines? Like AFM? Or MM?

No it's not right for those machines.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medford, NJ
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 218.00
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-install-shaker-motor-into-pirates-potc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.