Topic Stats

• 284 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by drummermike
  • Topic is favorited by 136 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 23 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180310_220253 (resized).jpg
IMG_3297 (resized).JPG
IMG_3278 (resized).JPG
IMG_3279 (resized).JPG
b93136e63869a938e0236637be3dde7c859bcf87 (resized).jpg
Q12_Resistor.jpg
IMG_3273 (resized).JPG
IMG_2374 (resized).JPG
IMG_2211_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
51blI-yQ8YL.jpg
IMG_4996.JPG
IMG_4990.JPG
IMG_4988.JPG
IMG_4987.JPG

There are 284 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 1 year ago
Quoted from drummermike:

What is PWM? I need to sell my CT motor.

I have a cointaker shaker in my game, no issues. They sell different versions, you want the stern shaker. The red tremors have more vibration I’ve found.

#252 1 year ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

For those that have added the shaker, can you confirm that it's possible to restart your game after a bad ball (by holding START button)? (i.e. A1-35 set to YES)
Mine doesn't restart and I can't figure it out.

Mine will not restart.

#253 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I have a cointaker shaker in my game, no issues. They sell different versions, you want the stern shaker. The red tremors have more vibration I’ve found.

My CT is not the red tremor. I did not know to order the Stern at the time.

#254 1 year ago
Quoted from drummermike:

That Pinball Place had the ROMs and Pinbits had the PAL.

Thx!

#255 1 year ago

Quoted from Reznnate:
For those that have added the shaker, can you confirm that it's possible to restart your game after a bad ball (by holding START button)? (i.e. A1-35 set to YES) Mine doesn't restart and I can't figure it out.

Quoted from drummermike:

Mine will not restart.

Thanks for the confirmation. Sounds like an odd software bug. Also explains why Stern was unable to help or explain it.

#256 1 year ago
Quoted from NullFlavor:

I feel like I am so close, but I am also not getting the shakes from my LOTR. My symptoms are the same as arcademojo had, with one exception. I have 10.02 installed, new PAL installed, factory reset, nvram clear, I can hit service coil #12 and it shakes. The only thing I have not done is upgrade the sound OS to version 8. From what I can gather, this seems to be a "do it if you need it" kind of thing, but can anyone confirm that this is necessary? I did notice that once I replaced the PAL, I started getting random callouts and momentary loudness from the speakers, so I want to update anyway. Also, could anyone confirm the part number of the PAL? The part number that I have seems different than some of the others that I have seen listed, but I did get the chip from a trusted source, so I have no reason to doubt that it is right.

nullflavor mine turned out to be a bad PAL chip. I got it new but it didn’t work. I broke down and bought another one and that one worked. Sent my bad one back and got an exchange. So now I have an extra one.

#258 1 year ago

I haven’t installed it yet... but ordered this one from Amazon.

RioRand™ Upgraded 6V-90V 15A DC Motor Pump Speed Controller amazon.com link »

The eBay one is cheaper if you need 5, but I like the amazon return policy better if things go wrong.

#259 1 year ago

arcademojo do or would you be able to take a picture of the PAL chip that you have in your machine? The part number that I see that people have online seems different than the one I installed in my machine, but I don't know if that really matters. Perhaps the one that I installed is still compatible.

2 months later
#260 1 year ago

I have had no issues with any other mod or repair on my LOTR machine but my roms were really pressed in tight. I tried removing the display rom from the back of my DMD first since it was easier to reach and managed to bend the pins and broke a bunch trying to bend them back. I was able to get the pal and cpu rom out much easier after I ruined the display rom and took my time to get the old ones out and new ones in correctly.

However I am know without a working display rom, I assumed the cpu rom would work as the replacement since they were both 10.0 before and they are same size however it does not give any display and the one with the broken pins clearly will not work either.

Will a new 10.0 display rom fix this issue?

https://imgur.com/a/2m2i1 20180310_220253 (resized).jpg

#261 1 year ago
Quoted from ruzeo:

However I am know without a working display rom, I assumed the cpu rom would work as the replacement since they were both 10.0 before and they are same size however it does not give any display and the one with the broken pins clearly will not work either.

Not the same. One is Game Rom and one is Display ROM.

Quoted from ruzeo:

Will a new 10.0 display rom fix this issue?

No idea if you hurt Game ROM or not. I'd replace both and hope nothing else.

LTG : )

#262 1 year ago

It was the old 10.0 game rom since I bought the new 10.02 one so I had the replacement for that already. Ordered a new display rom for the dmd so just waiting for it to arrive now.

1 week later
#263 1 year ago

New display rom is in now and working great. Thanks LTG for the help and thank you everyone in this thread was really easy to get it working and it was well worth it!

#264 1 year ago
Quoted from ruzeo:

New display rom is in now and working great. Thanks LTG for the help and thank you everyone in this thread was really easy to get it working and it was well worth it!

Great to hear that fixed it. Nothing worse than having something break and you hope that was it, waiting for parts to test.

#265 1 year ago

I was really worried I wont lie but I figured if there was a real risk of breaking something else from snapping the pins then Lloyd would have told me straight. Felt much better confirming my suspicion it was only the display rom.

#267 1 year ago

thanks Dave couldn't have done it without you

2 weeks later
#268 1 year ago

Not sure if anyone has asked and/or addressed this question; I have a color dmd installed, will I have big issues trying to get this shaker set up working correctly? Thanks

#269 1 year ago
Quoted from teletub:

Not sure if anyone has asked and/or addressed this question; I have a color dmd installed, will I have big issues trying to get this shaker set up working correctly? Thanks

no, the dmd has nothing to do with the shaker. i have both installed in my machine.

#270 1 year ago

Ok, based on the whole topic, i have to change my PAL.

CPU is 10.02 - Display is 10.00 , OS is 8
shaker is working well when grounded, and spinning but slower in test mode.
But nothing during the play

Shall i go to another PAL ?

#271 1 year ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Ok, based on the whole topic, i have to change my PAL.
CPU is 10.02 - Display is 10.00 , OS is 8
shaker is working well when grounded, and spinning but slower in test mode.
But nothing during the play
Shall i go to another PAL ?

Pinbits has the model number LTLEPAL chip you need. Then you have to reset the pin to factory setting to get it to recognize the motor.

#273 1 year ago

I got mine from Astill, game runs like a champ now

#274 1 year ago

Ok, will try to get a refund from the shop and buy it in pinball.center. Cheaper than getting it from Astill

1 year later
#275 6 months ago

7 years later and this post is still helping others... thanks @op and thanks astill for the shaker and roms! Install was a breeze... set a GC on my first game with the new rom installed!

#276 6 months ago

x2. The shaker and roms from astill worked great, and I would have been lost without this thread. A great addition to LOTR.

Quoted from roar:

7 years later and this post is still helping others... thanks @op and thanks astill for the shaker and roms! Install was a breeze... set a GC on my first game with the new rom installed!

3 months later
#277 3 months ago

Anyone know if pinbits or anyone else will have the PAL chip available again? I modded my LOTR a few years ago and sold it and now I want to do it again with another machine. If not, I guess I will have to buy an LE model.

Thanks

#278 3 months ago

There are some aftermarket shaker kits available now. One form pinsound and one from pinshakers?

There were some threads on them in the last week.

#279 3 months ago
Quoted from glasairpilot:

Anyone know if pinbits or anyone else will have the PAL chip available again? I modded my LOTR a few years ago and sold it and now I want to do it again with another machine. If not, I guess I will have to buy an LE model.
Thanks

Yes, the one from Pinshakers should work. They are still testing whitestar games, but I’m pretty sure it will work. I tested one for wh20 and it’s really nice. Simple install, all plug and play and very customizable across flashers and solenoids.

#280 3 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Yes, the one from Pinshakers should work. They are still testing whitestar games, but I’m pretty sure it will work. I tested one for wh20 and it’s really nice. Simple install, all plug and play and very customizable across flashers and solenoids.

I think we are talking about 2 different things. Looking for the PAL update, not the shaker motor.

#281 3 months ago

I think we are talking about 2 different things. Looking for the PAL update, not the shaker motor.

Sorry, didn’t know you had the setup already and just needed the chip.

#282 3 months ago

glasairpilot Try https://mattsbasementarcade.com/product/stern-pinball-gold-dot-pal-chip-u213-965-5023-00/
I recently got a full set, good price and he sells them separately also.

#283 3 months ago
Quoted from Chappie101:

glasairpilot Try https://mattsbasementarcade.com/product/stern-pinball-gold-dot-pal-chip-u213-965-5023-00/
I recently got a full set, good price and he sells them separately also.

Thank you for that source. I'm trying to decide if I should do a standard and convert it or just buy an LE and be done with it. Does the LE come standard with a shaker?

#284 3 months ago

Thank you for that source. I'm trying to decide if I should do a standard and convert it or just buy an LE and be done with it. Does the LE come standard with a shaker?

I put the shaker in my standard LOTR. It was easy once you get all the chips. I like the look of the standard better.
The only issue I had was the pin must be set back to factory setting to get the shaker recognized.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 75.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
There are 284 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside