You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

top of black rail guide.JPG
screw removal.jpg
Spiderman Cliffy Shooter Lane Protector Installation.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I am stuck on how to remove the black rail guide on Stern Spiderman so I can slip the Cliffy shooter lane ball eject protector underneath. I took off the apron. Removed the top of the ball trough. Unscrewed from underneath three screws that go into the black rail guide. Loosened the wire habit trail that attaches to the black rail guide. Took off the plastic on top of the black rail guide....and it still doesn't move.

I can't see any other fasteners ... but there is something that is holding it down. Appreciate any suggestions. Sure it is something simple, which is probably why I can't figure it out \-)

The photo below from Cliffy's site is what it suppose to look like when installed underneath the black rail guide.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ron

Spiderman Cliffy Shooter Lane Protector Installation.jpgSpiderman Cliffy Shooter Lane Protector Installation.jpg

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from Golferron54:

I am stuck on how to remove the black rail guide on Stern spiderman so I can slip the Cliffy shooter lane ball eject protector underneath. I took off the apron. Removed the top of the ball trough. Unscrewed from underneath three screws that go into the black rail guide. Loosened the wire habit trail that attaches to the black rail guide. Took off the plastic on top of the black rail guide....and it still doesn't move.
I can't see any other fasteners ... but there is something that is holding it down. Appreciate any suggestions. Sure it is something simple, which is probably why I can't figure it out \-)
The photo below from Cliffy's site is what it suppose to look like when installed underneath the black rail guide.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Spiderman Cliffy Shooter Lane Pr... 92 KB

Ron

Unscrew it --- those Philips screws go into the black guide and into the PF.

#3 9 years ago

Sorry I havent made a generic shooter lane protector install guide yet. For now I suggest folks use my Metallica install guide as all Sterns are mostly the same in this regard http://www.passionforpinball.com/MetInstall.htm

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

Ron

Unscrew it --- those Philips screws go into the black guide and into the PF.

Agreed, you need to remove the three screws going into the rail from underneath entirely - just loosening them will not work. Had same problem with mine.

Scott

#6 9 years ago

I see it here Cliffy!(Russ Team-EM : ) Hope all is well!

#7 9 years ago

Howdy Russ! All is great here but silly busy as you can imagine Thanks for the poke back!

#8 9 years ago

Hi Folks, thanks for the input, but the very first thing I did was remove the three screws underneath the playfield as suggested by all (photo 1 below). But the black rail guide still as tight on the playfield as my nose is to an ice cream parlor window.

From the top of the playfield, I took off the plastic at the end of the black rail, the nut to the wireform, and there is nothing else connected to the black rail guide .... and it is still tight (photo 2). The front where the protector would slide underneath moves up a tiny bit, but the other end is anchored solid.

Thanks Cliffy for referring me to the Met install guide, but Spiderman is laid out differently.

Sorry to be the dimmest bulb in the chandelier, but what am I missing?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and have a great weekend!

ron

screw removal.jpgscrew removal.jpg top of black rail guide.JPGtop of black rail guide.JPG
#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Golferron54:

Hi Folks, thanks for the input, but the very first thing I did was remove the three screws underneath the playfield as suggested by all (photo 1 below). But the black rail guide still as tight on the playfield as my nose is to an ice cream parlor window.
From the top of the playfield, I took off the plastic at the end of the black rail, the nut to the wireform, and there is nothing else connected to the black rail guide .... and it is still tight (photo 2). The front where the protector would slide underneath moves up a tiny bit, but the other end is anchored solid.
Thanks Cliffy for referring me to the Met install guide, but spiderman is laid out differently.
Sorry to be the dimmest bulb in the chandelier, but what am I missing?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions and have a great weekend!
ron

You are actually correct, that right black rail is mounted different on SM than it is on most other Sterns... in fact I had to flip the right side protector upside down to install it so it matches the left side protector.

As to your difficulty getting it off, if I remember correctly it is probably that the top screws go all the way through the rail and into the playfield, try removing those as well, I seem to remember that being the reason the protector doesn't fit the same.

#10 9 years ago

I do remember someone telling me the same thing Baiter. How it's laid out doesn't matter. The end result is the same. The black rail needs to come off so try those top screws as well, Ron. Lastly try tapping it as they do tend to be almost glued to the playfield sometimes. Best luck little buddy

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 25.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-install-cliffy-shooter-lane-ball-eject-protector and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.