(Topic ID: 150328)

how to insert grommet into PCB hole ?

By jimy_speedt

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    #1 8 years ago

Hello,

Sorry for this silly question. I purchased replacement opto PCBs for a batman forever VUK. the old spacers are still ok, but grommets and worn out. I wonder how I can insert new grommets with the spacer in the hole without damaging the PCB plastic. The new one in ligh green seems to be very thin.

Thank you for the ideas

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#2 8 years ago

[new] grommets are pretty pliable. you should be able to pinch it together and slide it into the hole partially and then once the [larger] center section "catches" on the pc board, gently rotate the grommet clockwise (or counter clockwise) until it seats itself into place.

I would just be careful with that lower one, not a lot of pc board material there.

ps
    you should be able to insert the grommets first, and then once those are in place, push the spacer into the center of the grommet (starting it in on an angle and then [working it] by rotating the spacer clockwise or counter clockwise until it is seated into position

#3 8 years ago

You could also use a tiny bit of lubricant when applying.

#4 8 years ago

I once plunged rubber for metallic posts into boiling water. A lot easier to insert afterwards. For this, I am nor certain. Thank you for your advices. The grommets must now cross the ocean, and I will follow up on that.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-insert-grommet-into-pcb-hole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.