• Latest reply 5 years ago by Medisinyl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Inlane.and.flipper.cu (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

My newish Stern MET Pro needs some flipper flow.

It's rare that I can roll pass on this game. The ball comes into the inlane inlet, turns and rolls to the flipper, but the instant it arrives at the flipper rubber, it essentially stops. Why?

I'm using a pair of Super-Bands and my ball guides are set so that the plane of the ball guide is about 2mm higher than the plane of the flipper rubber. I thought this was "factory," as the flipper axis is dead center in the pocket of the ball guide.

Is it the Super-Bands? I've also tried Perfect Plays and the effect was no different.

Thanks for reading my post.

Inlane.and.flipper.cu (resized).jpgInlane.and.flipper.cu (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Huh... Super bands too sticky?
What happens when you try with rubber?
Correct or above pitch?

#3 5 years ago

TheLaw is right. I'd be willing to bet that your issues will go away with standard rubber.

I have went back and forth on urethane and silicone flipper rubbers for this very reason.

#4 5 years ago

Thanks, TL and SDTM, for your responses.

The pitch level bubble is precisely in the middle, so I'm assuming my pitch is stock.

It seems I have only silicone and poly bands right now - Superbands, Titans, and Perfect Plays.

Which rubbers are truly rubber?

#5 5 years ago

https://www.pinballlife.com/red-flipper-rubber.html

Plain and simple... And cheap...and easy to clean.

#6 5 years ago

Its the super bands. Mine do this too. Way too sticky.

#7 5 years ago

Replace with real rubber.

The superbands make sense on location as the new rubber kind of sucks and frays quickly, but at home I'd stick with normal cheap flipper rubber.

#8 5 years ago

Super bands...look pretty...play like garbage.

Also if the ball is coming to a stop, it sounds like you are pitched shallow. Ignore the bubble level and check the actual slope on the playfield. 6.5 is standard, but most like a little extra. That stupid bubble should be eliminated from the BOM...it is rarely accurate. My Star Wars one was so far off I could have the front legs above the rear ones and it was still pegged at the top. :/

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Super bands...look pretty...play like garbage.
Also if the ball is coming to a stop, it sounds like you are pitched shallow. Ignore the bubble level and check the actual slope on the playfield. 6.5 is standard, but most like a little extra. That stupid bubble should be eliminated from the BOM...it is rarely accurate. My Star Wars one was so far off I could have the front legs above the rear ones and it was still pegged at the top. :/

I'm a leg levelers all the way out guy. Like 'em steep. Never paid attention to dumb bubble.

#10 5 years ago

You can adjust the inlane guide if you want a smoother roll from the guide to the flipper. I also recommend ditching the superbands. Titan rubbers are silicon based and work pretty well. I use them for everything except flipper rubber. Rubber just work the best for flippers.

#11 5 years ago

I'd ditch the Super Bands for Titans, and if it still happens, go to regular rubber.

Our MET Pro at our local pin club I think has Titans on it and I've never seen your issue (I also use Titans on 5 of my 6 games without this issue, the 6th being a banana flipper game).

However, at one of my league places they have Super Bands and I constantly experience this and it completely throws off my timing.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Replace with real rubber.
The superbands make sense on location as the new rubber kind of sucks and frays quickly, but at home I'd stick with normal cheap flipper rubber.

I'd suggest Titans even for location play (I also like regular rubber, but Titans feel very similar to me, even preferable on all modern games, and you can do whatever colors you like and have a similar experience). It may seem like an extreme reaction, but I immediately become frustrated and even a bit irritated when a game at a show has SBs as they completely pull me away from enjoying a machine (one machine at Freeplay FL did exactly what the OP is noting, and of course it was using SBs). As Yoko2una notes, they definitely throw off timing as the ball crawls down the flipper bat. If I ever play a game on location with SBs, it doesn't get a 2nd play no matter what it is (and if all machines were fitted that way, I'd probably blacklist such a location). I know some will find such a reaction to be stupid, but I suppose it really makes that much difference to me.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-improve-inlane-flow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.